Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to treat and repair damaged hair for men?
09-16-2014, 01:47 PM
How to treat and repair damaged hair for men?
Hey guys so talking of a hypothetical scenario... how do you treat and repair damaged hair? talking as in us guys with damaged hair. I have been using a hair dryer and other hairstyling tools etc... but so far i feel my hair is holding up very well as i have been following all the advice here and in the mens hair book. I would like to ask this question cos i could not see a pinpoint thread on how to repair damaged hair.

Guessing its conditioners and light styling but curious for any detailed answers. Thank you! Cool
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2014, 03:48 PM
RE: How to treat and repair damaged hair for men?
When the cuticle of the hair is stripped away because of heat damage, overuse of heated styling tools or over-brushing, the result is often split ends or irregularities in the hair strands that become impossible to style. A lack of moisture, color processing and brushing hair when it's wet (instead of damp) can all cause damaged ends and damage to the shaft structure, and your hair will start to look dull and become dry, lifeless and flat.

There are also a number of ways to treat damaged hair and keep your hair looking healthy. Here are some of the best ways to treat damaged hair and split ends for guys.

Use a Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner

Make sure you're using the right type of shampoo and conditioner on a regular basis, and you may be able to prevent damaged, brittle hair. If you already have damaged ends, a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner can restore lost moisture and help to soften and strengthen your strands.

There is an awesome discussion in this shampoo and conditioner thread about the right men shampoos and conditioners according to your needs.

Apply a Damage Repair Ampoule

Ampoules are highly concentrated damage-repair products that can strengthen dry and broken hair to leave it looking silky and smooth. These ampoules contain amino-polymers and other compounds that infuse the hair with much-needed moisture and also protect the hair from humidity, heat and other environmental factors. You can work these into wet hair after shampooing and leave in the hair for about five minutes to restore lost moisture.

Damage Repair Ampoules are not cheap, so if you need something more affordable, get a hair mask or serum.

Use a Deep-Conditioning Treatment at Least Twice Per Week

Deep conditioners are designed to infuse the hair and scalp with a heavy dose of moisture and can help to keep your hair looking soft, shiny and silky. If you have damaged ends, make sure to apply the deep conditioning treatment generously on the ends and let it set for at least twenty minutes. You can wrap your hair in a warm towel during the setting process so that the conditioner can moisturize your hair on a deeper level.

Try a Heat-Protectant Spray

You can prevent excess damage from the heat, humidity and even your blow dryer when you spritz your hair with a heat-protectant spray. Make sure you spray a generous amount directly onto the ends of your hair to prevent further damage and keep your hair looking silky and shiny. Even if you're letting your hair dry naturally, this type of spray will help to create soft and lustrous hair and protect your hair from environmental damage.

Avoid Using Heated Styling Tools on the Ends

A blow dryer on its highest heat setting, curling irons, flat irons and other heated styling tools can further damage your hair and make your split ends (especially) more pronounced. Don't use these tools daily if you have damaged hair and allow your hair to dry naturally whenever you can. Use a boar's hair brush to straighten and style your hair to prevent the further hair damage that less flexible bristles cause.

Also always use a heat tamer when using a flat iron or curling iron. If you already have damaged hair, then also use a heat tamer when blow drying our hair with a hair dryer. See the recommended hair products thread for the recommended heat tamer for men.

Trim the hair tips

If you aren't growing your hair longer, then trim at a quarter of an inch off during each hairdresser visit to get rid of split ends and to prevent damaged ends from expanding further. Only do this step if you want to keep your current hair length.

Restoring damaged hair and damaged ends isn't easy, but there are several things you can do to lock more moisture into your strands and prevent further damage. Use some of these tips and hair care strategies to treat damaged hair and reduce the risk of dried-out tresses.
09-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Hey dude you are always answering questions in the forum Big Grin thanks for taking the time to help us rookies.

If there is no hint of damaged tips do you still need to get frequent hair trims? or would this be just something isolated to damaged tips and all that?
09-30-2014, 09:24 AM
I cannot remember where I read that getting frequent cuts for your tips is a myth and not needed. I think I read it in the mens hair book or in a thread in this forum? but still do not go around getting your tips cut every month unless the tips really are damaged. At the end of the day all these hairdressers tell you that because it affects their downline as in they get more money. I have heard that same stupidity from hairdressers that I have to go every month to their hair salon to get my tips trimmed if I want to grow my hair long. Yeah sure...

Let me also back the heat hair spray mention of the poster above. Seriously bro if you are going to be using a hair straighter, then make sure that you also have a product to protect from the heat of the hair straightener. Sorry for the bold letters but damn I learned this the bad way. Just spray some of that stuff on your hair and then go and use the straightener. Easy piece-y.
10-04-2014, 10:46 PM
There is more answers to your question at the following thread that i just read....
Check out the Hair Products sub forum, with thread titled Thread-Which-hair-products-for-damaged-mens-hair-shampoo-conditioner-etc.
01-09-2015, 09:54 AM
(09-16-2014 01:47 PM)Alex Wrote:  Hey guys so talking of a hypothetical scenario... how do you treat and repair damaged hair? talking as in us guys with damaged hair. I have been using a hair dryer and other hairstyling tools etc... but so far i feel my hair is holding up very well as i have been following all the advice here and in the mens hair book. I would like to ask this question cos i could not see a pinpoint thread on how to repair damaged hair.
Guessing its conditioners and light styling but curious for any detailed answers. Thank you! Cool

I use hair styling tools most days and I just use Pro Naturals Hair Repair System as my protection against getting damaged hair. I also chose my hair tools very carefully. I use the T3 Salon Pro Ultralight Ionic Hair Dryer and G3 Salon Pro Hair Styling Iron, both worth their weight in gold.
01-14-2015, 06:22 PM
(01-09-2015 09:54 AM)AddyB Wrote:  
(09-16-2014 01:47 PM)Alex Wrote:  Hey guys so talking of a hypothetical scenario... how do you treat and repair damaged hair? talking as in us guys with damaged hair. I have been using a hair dryer and other hairstyling tools etc... but so far i feel my hair is holding up very well as i have been following all the advice here and in the mens hair book. I would like to ask this question cos i could not see a pinpoint thread on how to repair damaged hair.

I use hair styling tools most days and I just use Pro Naturals Hair Repair System as my protection against getting damaged hair. I also chose my hair tools very carefully. I use the T3 Salon Pro Ultralight Ionic Hair Dryer and G3 Salon Pro Hair Styling Iron, both worth their weight in gold.

Very helpful!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to treat and cure dandruff Stevens 30 15,739 09-27-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: rvandint
  How to reverse or treat hair damage? Vladimir 3 2,008 12-27-2014 03:19 AM
Last Post: AddyB
  Is my hair damaged? How to diagnose damaged hair for men? Vladimir 4 2,229 12-24-2014 08:43 PM
Last Post: Fundercuts05
  Any advice on how to treat kids dandruff? Treatment like adults? Stevens 2 1,161 11-20-2014 10:10 AM
Last Post: Stevens