Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to treat and cure dandruff 5 1
How to treat and cure dandruff
11-12-2013, 10:35 AM
RE: How to treat and cure dandruff
My friends swear by head and shoulders, so I'd give that a try if you haven't already!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Use the anti dandruff shampoos!
11-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Stevens started another thread asking about how to treat kids dandruff. I am posting my post in that thread below as I think it is relevant to this thread too for those of you seeking a dandruff kids treatment.

As unattractive as dandruff may be, at least it's not head lice, which can be pretty difficult to treat. I agree that th first thing is to get him checked out by a doctor and preferably by dermatologist. Those doctors see dandruff problems in individuals of all ages and with varying degrees of dandruff. Here's what you can do to manage the flakes.

Check it Out:

Again, I cannot emphasize enough to first take the child to see your health care practitioner. Dandruff is one form of scaly skin conditions known as eczema. Since there are other forms that may resemble dandruff, it might be a good idea to consult a dermatologist. The vast majority of cases, however, turn out to be seborrheic dermatitis, also known as dandruff, although dandruff is the least severe presentation of seborrheic dermatitis. While you're getting the diagnosis, advise your child to not scratch if the scalp is itchy because scratching may worsen the symptoms or break the skin.

The First Line of Treatment:

Treatment is usually two-fold. The first goal is to reduce the skin inflammation that contributes to the condition. The second is to fight yeast. Although dandruff is not a yeast infection, yeast is a fungus that sometimes builds up on scaly areas of seborrhea and aggravates the flaking and dandruff problem.

There are a number of over-the-counter treatments you can try. First, there are medicated shampoos that you can buy without a prescription. Shampoos that are recommended to treat dandruff should contain one of the following ingredients: zinc pyrithione (ZPT), coal tar, salicylic acid, selenium sulfide or ketoconazole.

These shampoos are usually safe to use up to several times a week, depending on how severe your child's symptoms are. But always check first with your pharmacist or health practitioner on how often to use the product, even if it's non-prescription.

If the dandruff clears up, go back to non-medicated shampoos. Sometimes one shampoo will work for a while and will then stop working. In that case, switch to another or alternate two different types.

Beyond Shampoo:

Sometimes no shampoo will do the trick, so you may have to try some over-the-counter-creams and lotions that target the dandruff problem more directly.

The first cream that may help is a cortisone scalp lotion in either 0.5 percent or 1 percent concentration that should help reduce the inflammation. Apply it once a day when the hair is damp after shampooing. You can even combine a cortisone cream or lotion with medicated shampoos for dandruff, but only do this if your pharmacist or doctor recommends it.

Another cream that aids in vanishing dandruff is an antifungal cream (1 percent clotrimazole cream and miconazole cream 2 percent). These creams, which should be applied to the scalp once or twice a day, help reduce the yeast organisms living on the affected area. Use the creams until the dandruff subsides. You can use them again if the condition recurs.

If these over-the-counter anti-dandruff products don't work, or stop being effective, you may want to consult a dermatologist who can prescribe a mild steroid, hydrocortisone, or a more powerful anti-fungal cream to use temporarily to get rid of severe symptoms.
12-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Here is a lengthy reply that I posted in another thread so as to give a better picture of what dandruff is and what treatments are available. Long read but I tried to synthesize the more important points.

Dandruff is a condition of the scalp that affects millions of people. Although it is neither contagious, nor a threat to health in any way, it is a serious cosmetic problem which is unsightly and embarrassing in social situations. Through the years, several medications have been developed to combat symptoms of dandruff, however, for many, there are home remedies and alternate methods that work just as well. However there is no cure for dandruff and you can read a lot about dandruff and remedies in the link as that is a big discussion thread from the forum where this topic is discussed in depth.

Dandruff is a condition of the scalp marked by chronic itching and dead skin peeling from the scalp. This dead skin can be light and minimal in the form of a fine powder or can be composed of larger and more obvious flakes that collect in the hair or fall from the head to rest on your shoulders and clothing. The symptoms of dandruff can be caused by several different factors, including more serious skin conditions such as dry skin (from hormone problems), seborrheic dermatosis, psoriasis, cradle cap, and contact dermatitis. Dandruff has recently been attributed to the build up of a yeast-like fungus that lives on the heads of almost all adult people called malassezia that feeds on the oils of the hair causing skin to dry excessively and flake off. What causes the growth of malassezia itself is largely unknown but thought to be a combination of stress, hormones, immune system abnormalities and inflammation of the scalp tissue.

A doctor can prescribe medicines and medicated shampoos, which can often be bought over the counter as well, such as zinc pyrithione shampoos like Head & Shoulders, Tar-based shampoo like Neutrogena T/Gel, and selenium sulfide shampoos like Selsun Blue (see this list of dandruff shampoos for recommendations). There are also a number of other remedies that are more natural and have been used successfully in many of those who suffer from dandruff.

The first line of defense and treatment for dandruff is in good hygiene. This includes frequent washing with your regular shampoo (but not too frequent!) or one of the anti dandruff shampoos mentioned above. Hair should be brushed lightly or combed lightly several times daily to improve circulation to the follicles and remove any excess flakes. A fingertip massage of the scalp is recommended at least once per day and exposure for limited times to the sun can help treat dandruff also.

One natural remedy for dandruff comes from India and has been used regularly to great effect. It requires a mixture of curded milk, honey, and lemon. Two tablespoons of curd mixed with three drops of honey and the juice of one lemon can be applied to the scalp and massaged in. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes and then shampoo away.

Coconut oil has been used by some who say that pure coconut oil shows almost immediate results that last up to six months. Coconut oil can be purchased in pure form from health store, vitamin shops and Amazon (the latter is probably your best pick to buy high quality coconut oil). The oil should be applied to the scalp in saturation and massaged in with the fingertips. For thick hair it can be brushed in as needed. Let sit for 15 minutes and then run under hot water for another 15 minutes. Once finished you should make sure that you shampoo the oil as otherwise it will just site there.

Another home remedy for dandruff is a mixture of olive oil and lime juice. One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil can be mixed with one teaspoon of fresh lime juice and applied to the scalp. Massage in well and cover with a scarf to prevent getting the oil on other materials in the home and help keep it on your head. Leave it in the hair overnight and shampoo clean in the morning.

Listerine, while not really a natural remedy has been used to treat dandruff as well. After a regular shampoo, saturate the hair with Listerine and leave in for 10 minutes or if it begin to sting, sooner. Wash out again with shampoo.

Regular aspirin is also said to be an effective means of combating dandruff. Crush 10 aspirins very fine on a plate with a spoon or by any other means you see fit. Combine with a quarter-cup of shampoo and massage into the scalp. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then rinse. The theory behind this is that aspirin is an anti inflammatory and dandruff has an inflammation cause.

Tea tree oil has been used in Australia and around the world for years as a remedy to scalp and skin problems. Essential oil of tea tree can be bought at health stores and many stores that sell a wide variety of vitamins. It can be bought already mixed into a shampoo, the best of which is Paul Mitchell's tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner. The essential oil can also be mixed into your regular shampoo. Use one teaspoon per application. Let it sit for 15 minutes on the scalp before rinsing.

Dandruff is a very personal condition and what works for one person may not work for another. I have posted about kids and dandruff as there are dandruff treatments for just about anyone. Use trial and error in finding what helps you and then stick with what works best.
12-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Seeing that this is a thread where we're consolidating all the dandruff advice, I wanted to cover in this post some natural dandruff remedies. I posted this also in another thread but I am consolidating it here for the benefit of those reading this thread.

Natural products like vinegar can be used as dandruff treatments, without the need of the harsher anti-dandruff shampoos and medicated shampoos. I mean, these types of shampoos do have their place but if you can have an alternative as a natural remedy, then why not also try it.

For starters, dandruff is an excessive amount of flaking of dead skin cells from the scalp. It can also sometimes be called scurf. A small amount of flaking is quite common. When this problem goes out of control, it becomes rather embarrassing, as it starts to show up on the head and also on the clothes we wear. Here are some natural dandruff remedies and home-made tips to keep the dandruff at bay.

Fenugreek:

Fenugreek seeds are easily available at the grocery stores. Soak a cupful of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Grind the soaked seeds to a fine paste and apply directly to the scalp. Keep this on for about 30 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water first and then shampoo as usual. Try this method once every 15 days for 2 months, and see no dandruff anywhere near to you.

Sour curd:

Keep the curd outside the fridge for a few hours so that it becomes sour. Take a small bowl and mix the curd with juice of one whole lemon/lime. Apply this mix to the scalp, keep it on for 15-20 minutes and wash it off first with water and then shampoo as usual.

Vinegar:

Mix cider vinegar with equal quantity of water and apply to scalp with a cotton wool, keep it on for a few minutes and wash off. Vinegar added to rinsing water after shampooing will also take away dandruff.

Hot oil massage:

Mix almond oil and coconut oil in equal parts and heat it up. Take a cotton wool and apply to scalp. Gently massage with fingertips, spreading the oil to the entire scalp. This helps in improving the blood circulation and dislodges dirt and dandruff.

Green gram powder:

Mix two tablespoons of green gram powder with half a cup of sour curd. Apply this mix to the scalp twice a week and wash off. Green gram is also known as mung bean.

The best way to prevent dandruff buildup is to never let it build up! Wash hair regularly so that it always remains clean, so that there is no way dead skin can develop. Have a healthy diet. Include a lot of greens and fruits. Drink a lot of water. Avoid harsh and direct sunlight as much as possible. Avoid strong coffee/tea, excess meat, sugar, and pickle.
12-07-2014, 07:06 AM
(09-20-2013 03:57 PM)Stevens Wrote:  Can we share the different cures or treatments for dandruff in this thread? what hair products treat or cure dandruff?
A friend of mine has dandruff, usually not noticeable but sometimes it gets on his nerves. For me, i do get a dandruff breakout every once and then but nothing worrying, would be great to hear what the big minds of the hair care field have to say about it Cool

I've been dealing with this rats for a year now. WILL NOT go away no matter what I try!

The best thing you can do is go to a dermatologist, who can give you prescription strength meds that will usually make the dandruff vanish. Otherwise, try altering shampoos. Most of them have zinc pyrithione as their active ingredient, so maybe try one with selenium sulfide instead. I've also seen ones with salicylic acid in them.

I remember having dandruff at a young age, around 11 or 12. I went to the dermatologist, and he prescribed this steroid oil thing that I would put on my scalp after I showered. Whatever this thing was, it stopped my dandruff for a while. I'm going to be going back to that dermatologist soon.
01-14-2015, 06:30 PM
(11-06-2013 09:23 PM)ChevelleSS Wrote:  Yeah I'll have to go see a dermatologist about it. Thanks for all the help

Head and Shoulders is good as well.
07-27-2015, 04:38 PM
(11-05-2013 07:21 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 04:38 AM)Benfaryl Wrote:  How often do you need to shampoo/condition your hair?

Are you referring to the anti dandruff shampoos? If so, a zinc based shampoo like Heads & Shoulders can be used regularly and as your actual shampoo.

The other types of anti dandruff shampoos should be used, as a rule of thumb, one to twice a week as they are stronger and can irritate the skin if used too frequently (zinc based shampoos don't have this risk as prominently).

The problem with using zinc based shampoos is that the zinc masks the real problem causing dandruff. That's how Head and Shoulders hooks people into using it all the time. If you were to stop using zinc based shampoos, the problem will occur again. Treating the source of the problem, in my opinion, is the best way to go.
06-29-2016, 11:47 PM
(09-21-2013 12:19 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  As Barber said, there's no cure for dandruff but it can be treated easily with a specialized anti dandruff shampoo. These shampoos are quite easy to use, I know a couple of these shampoos but I'll let Barber mention tem if there's any need Smile

when i moved from my home country to united states i started to have dandruff problem and my hair fall a lot and i have tried many shampoos but it didn't get resolve with and i also have tried almost all oils but it only works temporary. my hair were very good and healthy before i move here but now it looks i am getting bald from both corners. it looks like water is the issue, do you have any solution.
06-29-2016, 11:50 PM
when i moved from my home country to united states i started to have dandruff problem and my hair fall a lot and i have tried many shampoos but it didn't get resolve with and i also have tried almost all oils but it only works temporary. my hair were very good and healthy before i move here but now it looks i am getting bald from both corners. it looks like water is the issue, do you have any solution.
09-27-2016, 07:09 PM
(09-23-2013 04:52 PM)Stevens Wrote:  oh i see guys, yes please some good dandruff shampoos to use or solutions, hopefully easy to use buy etc
So i take it dandruff is then caused by a fungus and the mufaka wont get killed whatsoever??

I cannot recommend Jason Dandruff relief shampoo with colloidal sulfur highly enough. This is the only shampoo that worked for me. The downside is that it makes your towels and head like eggs (towels a lot (initially), head a little).

HOWEVER, if you leave it in for 5 minutes then rinse, the smell dissipates after about 1 -2 weeks. I never thought it was actually that strong, but amazon reviews tell a different story.
02-28-2017, 02:32 AM
This thread is related to my problem, currently i am facing such problem, from last 2,3 months my head is full of dandruff, I used different dandruff shampoo's, but no effect, what should be the reason, before 2 month i don't have any dandruff, I have changed the country, may be it is because the changing in atmosphere? i don't know, i am very much upset Sad
03-02-2017, 06:46 PM
When I kept short hairstyles (shaved look) dandruff was an issue. I know now it was dried out scalp, skin flaking. Since I've grown my hair out on top. I haven't seen a speckle of skin, dandruff anything. So I give the curing to great shampoo and conditioner, argan oil and good hair products
07-21-2017, 07:50 AM
Head and shoulders mate.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Itchy scalp with bumps and dandruff, is this a scalp condition? GoodHair 6 4,948 11-09-2015 04:23 AM
Last Post: kibria
  Oily scalp buildup: Dandruff, Sebum or Product residue? WesleyGarrett 0 1,116 09-21-2015 05:40 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett
  How to treat and repair damaged hair for men? Alex 6 57,388 01-14-2015 06:22 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1
  How to reverse or treat hair damage? Vladimir 3 3,212 12-27-2014 03:19 AM
Last Post: AddyB