Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to treat and cure dandruff
09-20-2013, 03:57 PM
How to treat and cure dandruff
Can we share the different cures or treatments for dandruff in this thread? what hair products treat or cure dandruff?
A friend of mine has dandruff, usually not noticeable but sometimes it gets on his nerves. For me, i do get a dandruff breakout every once and then but nothing worrying, would be great to hear what the big minds of the hair care field have to say about it Cool
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2013, 06:49 PM
RE: How to treat and cure dandruff
There isn't a permanent cure for dandruff mate, just treating it.
Usually a dandruff shampoo will take care of the dandruff problem, a Zinc pyrithione shampoo or a Ketoconazole shampoo deals with the issue fairly well and these shampoos can be used when the dandruff problem gets worrisome as dandruff will increase in winter time or if you are constantly exposing urself to hold/cold temperatures.

The dandruff is thought to be caused by a common fungus --the Malassezia globosa fungus-- that lives in the scalp and starts going bonkers & also because the scalp in some men produces too many skin cells so the shedding of the skin cells causes dandruff. There are a few types of dandruff shampoos that will treat the problem, let me know if you need a list of actual dandruff shampoos
Cheers

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
09-21-2013, 12:19 PM
As Barber said, there's no cure for dandruff but it can be treated easily with a specialized anti dandruff shampoo. These shampoos are quite easy to use, I know a couple of these shampoos but I'll let Barber mention tem if there's any need Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-23-2013, 04:52 PM
oh i see guys, yes please some good dandruff shampoos to use or solutions, hopefully easy to use buy etc
So i take it dandruff is then caused by a fungus and the mufaka wont get killed whatsoever??
09-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Stevens, the best solutions for dandruff are specialized anti dandruff shampoos. There are several anti dandruff shampoos you can buy and easily available from Amazon. You can also mix some anti dandruff shampoos with each other for a better effect although you don't have to go crazy with formulas and equations to treat dandruff.

Here is a list of the anti dandruff shampoos for males that you can buy:

Shampoo with zinc pyrithione: for regular cases of dandruff

Shampoo with ketoconazole shampoo: for heavy dandruff, you can mix a zinc pyrithione shampoo with a Ketoconazole shampoo

Shampoo with salicylic acid: salicylic acid helps exfoliate the dead skin cells that cause dandruff. A salicylic acid shampoo is great to use once or twice a week together and the rest of days use either a zinc pyrithione shampoo or a ketoconazole shampoo

Shampoo with coal tar: coal tar is great for fighting dandruff! It's a shampoo by Neutrogena and works great as a regular weekly shampoo

Shampoo with tea tree oil: a natural alternative the tea tree oil can also help with hair loss, look into the tea tree oil shampoo if the rest of anti dandruff shampoos, if you want a natural shampoo alternative or if you are losing hair (tea tree oil shampoo works awesome with minoxidil to treat hair loss!)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Wow!!! Awesome Tmhf, f*king love you bro haha
Just bought your recommended tea tree oil shampoo conditioner and the salicylic acid shampoo as your right i think i need to start scrubbing my scalp and that shampoo really does it. Thankss!
09-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Big Grin

10-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Helpful thread thanks , What i dont get is what causes it? - For a while i had some dandruff and didnt know how to get rid of it , Although it stopped after a while and i haven't had any since.
10-18-2013, 06:01 PM
(10-17-2013 12:08 AM)Jonny Wrote:  Helpful thread thanks , What i dont get is what causes it? - For a while i had some dandruff and didnt know how to get rid of it , Although it stopped after a while and i haven't had any since.

Hello Jonny,

The cause for dandruff is not fully understood. The theory is that dandruff is multi-factorial; that is, the right factors need to be present for dandruff to occur. The three factors that cause dandruff are the Malassezia globosa fungus, the oversecreting of scalp sebum and a genetic predisposition to having a higher-than-normal skin cell turnover or an exaggerated inflammation response in the scalp.

A good theory proposed by the medical community, and one to which I subscribe, is that the Malassezia globosa fungus metabolises the over-secreted scalp sebum, which is then absorbed by the scalp and thus causes an inflammation response in the scalp, leading to the shedding of more (scalp) skin cells at a faster rate. Contrary to popular belief, dandruff is not due to dry skin, and the clinical manifestation of dandruff is different to that of dry skin.

Dandruff usually follows a cyclic pattern in that it occurs for a period of a couple of months then ceases for some more months; then the cycle starts again. Dandruff is very common by the way, especially the lighter form; any of the shampoos covered in this thread will cure just about all dandruff ranges.

Best

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
10-23-2013, 07:43 AM
I used to have quite a dandruff problem a few years ago, but for me it was solved simply by changing shampoo (not even anti-dandruff, just simple Fructis shampoo) and using less of it. I guess I was having a bit of a reaction to the original shampoo. Might be interesting to check that, too.
10-23-2013, 12:21 PM
(10-23-2013 07:43 AM)Niebuhr Wrote:  I used to have quite a dandruff problem a few years ago, but for me it was solved simply by changing shampoo (not even anti-dandruff, just simple Fructis shampoo) and using less of it. I guess I was having a bit of a reaction to the original shampoo. Might be interesting to check that, too.

Yes, the shampoo could be too. Dandruff is partially caused from inflammation in the scalp and some ingredients in certain shampoos can cause an inflammatory response in the scalp.

10-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Personally I love the anti dandruff head and shoulders. I find that it works the best for me.
11-02-2013, 12:54 PM
i have been using Head & Shoulders since grade 3, and never experienced dandruff, ever.
11-05-2013, 04:38 AM
How often do you need to shampoo/condition your hair?
11-05-2013, 07:21 AM
(11-05-2013 04:38 AM)Benfaryl Wrote:  How often do you need to shampoo/condition your hair?

Are you referring to the anti dandruff shampoos? If so, a zinc based shampoo like Heads & Shoulders can be used regularly and as your actual shampoo.

The other types of anti dandruff shampoos should be used, as a rule of thumb, one to twice a week as they are stronger and can irritate the skin if used too frequently (zinc based shampoos don't have this risk as prominently).

11-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Is there a difference between dandruff and dead, dry skin? I get white flakes on the back upper part of my head, and all my life I thought it was dandruff so I've always used head & shoulders everyday. The past month i've been trying to cut back on how often I shampoo, and I've been trying an all natural sulfate free shampoo. I've noticed I have to shampoo every other day otherwise I get those white flakes, and my head becomes itchy. So is this dandruff, or just dry skin?
11-05-2013, 04:23 PM
(11-05-2013 02:28 PM)ChevelleSS Wrote:  Is there a difference between dandruff and dead, dry skin? I get white flakes on the back upper part of my head, and all my life I thought it was dandruff so I've always used head & shoulders everyday. The past month i've been trying to cut back on how often I shampoo, and I've been trying an all natural sulfate free shampoo. I've noticed I have to shampoo every other day otherwise I get those white flakes, and my head becomes itchy. So is this dandruff, or just dry skin?

As a rule of thumb if the "flakes" are visible in the mirror, it's dandruff which I think will be your case.

Nothing to worry about though, dandruff is really common among men, I've read figures that place dandruff occurring in 40% to 60% of men worldwide, that's how common it is! Dropping shampoo frequency (like in Rogelio's No Shampoo method, The Men's Hair Book) can help taming the dandruff because typical commercial shampoos can cause mild inflammation in the scalp which worsens dandruff. Every other day is an excellent shampooing frequency if you are prone to dandruff.

I suggest you buy a stronger anti dandruff shampoo such as this one from Neutrogena as it is great for alleviating itch as well as taming the dandruff, better than the Head and Shoulders shampoo. Use it 3 times a week (every other day) and then see how that works different from the Head and Shoulders zinc pyrithione shampoo that you're currently using.

You may find that with the Neutrogena shampoo you are able to drop shampooing frequency even more to only 2 times per week! Really worth the trial as it is very potent in taming the dandruff.

Dandruff usually acts in cycles so you will find dandruff is worst some times and other times it's almost nothing, that's why having a strong anti dandruff shampoo like the Neutrogena one linked above is very important (so you use it when the bad case of dandruff breaks out). If you're going to buy the Neutrogena anti dandruff shampoo, I suggest you take advantage of your shopping in Amazon and also grab yourself 3-4 bottles of the Heads and Shoulders shampoo too so you get the most bang for your buck.

The Amazon supplier we link to in this thread is great for the Head and Shoulders shampoo and when you buy a couple items at the same time the shipping is sometimes even discounted (that's what I do, buy in one "go" several hair products to spread out the shipping cost! Wink ). A shampoo can easily last you over a month so you can have over half a year covered already by buying 4 or 5 shampoos of the Head and Shoulders and buy 1 or 2 of the Neutrogena one. Here is the Amazon supplier we recommend for the Head and Shoulders shampoo. And here is again the Amazon supplier I linked in this post for the Neutrogena shampoo.

11-05-2013, 07:35 PM
That's a really good price for that giant bottle of H&S. I'll definitely try the Neutrogena out, I've been using H&S for as long as I can remember, and it usually does the trick but sometimes the dandruff persists. Now it all makes sense that it comes in cycles, I always thought I just didn't use enough shampoo... So I would use literally a handful of it to scrub my head.. probably irritating it and making it worse. Also, you mentioned inflammation, when my dad cuts my hair over the summer he points out that I have these red bumps on my head. Is this caused from the dandruff? Or could it be something else? I am pretty prone to acne, so could it be acne?
11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
(11-05-2013 07:35 PM)ChevelleSS Wrote:  [/align]That's a really good price for that giant bottle of H&S. I'll definitely try the Neutrogena out, I've been using H&S for as long as I can remember, and it usually does the trick but sometimes the dandruff persists. Now it all makes sense that it comes in cycles, I always thought I just didn't use enough shampoo... So I would use literally a handful of it to scrub my head.. probably irritating it and making it worse. Also, you mentioned inflammation, when my dad cuts my hair over the summer he points out that I have these red bumps on my head. Is this caused from the dandruff? Or could it be something else? I am pretty prone to acne, so could it be acne?

Yep, makes sense what I mentioned abut the cycles. What you have to do is use the Neutrogena shampoo when the dandruff gets bad, for the rest of the time, the H&S works like a charm.

About the bumps, this could atually be seborrheic dermatitis which is more serious than dandruff and requires you seeing a dermatologist. The clipping of the hair and inflammation is a "possible" sympton of seborrheic dermatitis which could actually be wht you're mistaking for dandruff!

This is how seborrheic dermatitis when you clip the hair to near shaved.

[Image: 595px-Seborrhoeic_dermatitis_head.jpg]

I would seriously consider a visit to a dermatologist. I don't usually quote Wikipedia as there are lots of noobs there editing silly content, but the says the following:

In adolescents and adults, seborrhoeic dermatitis usually presents as scalp scaling similar to dandruff or as mild to marked erythema of the nasolabial fold.

Open a thread and post pictures especially of your hair clipped if possible.

11-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Yeah I'll have to go see a dermatologist about it. Thanks for all the help
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Itchy scalp with bumps and dandruff, is this a scalp condition? GoodHair 6 2,824 11-09-2015 04:23 AM
Last Post: kibria
  Oily scalp buildup: Dandruff, Sebum or Product residue? WesleyGarrett 0 629 09-21-2015 05:40 PM
Last Post: WesleyGarrett
  How to treat and repair damaged hair for men? Alex 6 27,559 01-14-2015 06:22 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1
  How to reverse or treat hair damage? Vladimir 3 1,997 12-27-2014 03:19 AM
Last Post: AddyB