Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to style a faux hawk with short hair?
05-16-2013, 02:51 PM
How to style a faux hawk with short hair?
i'm thinking of a Beckham faux hawk but my hair is so thick it kind of still sticks up. Should i style the fauxhawk with dry or wet hair? Also, what products to use?
Cheers lads
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2013, 03:12 PM
RE: How to style a faux hawk with short hair?
(05-16-2013 02:51 PM)Anton Wrote:  i'm thinking of a Beckham faux hawk but my hair is so thick it kind of still sticks up. Should i style the fauxhawk with dry or wet hair? Also, what products to use?
Cheers lads

Don't style dry hair, wet it first, then style. It's a big mistake to style when dry because the hair looses its plasticity.
To style a Faux Hawk, use either wax or gel, coat your fingers and then direct the hair on top of the head towards the center. Doing this will create a crest, then define the crest as per your liking. The sides of the head can be styled to the front or out.

Some products that you should be using for your faux hawk hairstyle (click each link to check them out):
  • This hair gel: the hair gel in the link is awesome for any kind of styling for just about any hair style, including faux hawks. Gel is a very convenient product as it goes with most styles so get the one in the link as that one will never let you down when you need to use gel or when you don't have any other mens hair products laying around.
    |
  • This hair wax: to shape the crest (i.e. hawk), the hair wax in the link does an outstanding job. This wax is more for when you want to rock a more flexible and shaped look with your faux hawk, while with the hair gel in the link above, you will get a drier look with great shape.
Either way, get both hair products above so that you have a good choice of products any time, whether it is for your faux hawks or you other mens hairstyles!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-16-2013, 07:40 PM
(05-16-2013 03:12 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(05-16-2013 02:51 PM)Anton Wrote:  i'm thinking of a Beckham faux hawk but my hair is so thick it kind of still sticks up. Should i style the fauxhawk with dry or wet hair? Also, what products to use?
Cheers lads

Don't style dry hair, wet it first, then style. It's a big mistake to style when dry because the hair looses its plasticity.
To style a Faux Hawk, use either wax or gel, coat your fingers and then direct the hair on top of the head towards the center. Doing this will create a crest, then define the crest as per your liking. The sides of the head can be styled to the front or out.

This! I find that styling hair that is dry never works out for hairstyles like the faux hawk. I always wet my hair a bit to get the crest well defined.
05-26-2013, 11:56 PM
To style a Faux Hawk hairstyle use your fingers not a comb, otherwise it gets too complex trying to get it right with a comb. Style the hair on the top towards the middle of the head so the hair strands mount on top of each other to shape the crest of the Faux Hawk (after all, a faux Hawk is a Mohawk hairstyle made for urban men).

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
05-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Barber, is a faux hawk a good hairstyle for a balding man?
05-31-2013, 06:01 PM
so I have been experimenting with the styling of my faux hawk and I find myself most comfortable using both hands to get the crest going. Slide the hands from the outside of the scalp into the middle then have the hair mount up to make the crest. Im using the Workable wax from The mens hair shop and it works good enough. Makes my hair feel spongy for some reason which is good as I can shape my hair in other styles too.
06-05-2013, 01:30 PM
So are this instructions for a faux hawk ok to do with wavy hair as well?
06-05-2013, 02:15 PM
(05-27-2013 06:28 PM)Vladimir Wrote:  Barber, is a faux hawk a good hairstyle for a balding man?

The Faux Hawk is an excellent hairstyle for balding men if there is no big thinning on the crown. Style the Faux Hawk as normal but use some of the hair near the hairline of the forehead to be styled forward to create a fringe which then hides the balding on the temples.

(06-05-2013 01:30 PM)Machado Wrote:  So are this instructions for a faux hawk ok to do with wavy hair as well?

The Faux Hawk instructions are the same as for straight hair the only thing different is that wavy hair takes a bit more time to style the crest if the hair is medium length. Although medium length wavy hair when styled in a Fayx Hawk can look really cool if you pay attention to defining the crest properly Smile

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
08-12-2014, 12:52 PM
I'd recommend v05 extreme matte mousse. Gives good hold but never looks greasy or unnatural.
03-01-2015, 03:56 PM
When I style a faux hawk I blow dry my hair in the shape im going to style it and then use American Crew molding clay.
03-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Oh and I use my fingers to style it not a comb.
03-11-2015, 07:17 PM
had a fauxhawk for 5 years, loved it. changing it up now but im sure ill be back with one soon just wanted to see how else my hair looks.

i used got 2 b glued and styled it with damp hair and a blow dryer, make sure u get the sides nice and tight to make it look better.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need a new style help me zach2349 0 167 10-11-2016 09:14 AM
Last Post: zach2349
  How to style fluffy curly hair into soft straight hairstyle MustafaZorrok 0 392 06-28-2016 03:25 PM
Last Post: MustafaZorrok
Photo Hair Style Question - Bradley Cooper, etc. mattkaminski 0 531 01-05-2016 02:24 PM
Last Post: mattkaminski
  Comb Over Style? Breezy22 0 614 09-29-2015 04:58 PM
Last Post: Breezy22