Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to style Mens Hair? Expert tips and tricks
04-04-2014, 12:01 PM
How to style Mens Hair? Expert tips and tricks
So we already have lots of guides on hairstyles and haircuts in this forum, but what about a guide on how to style mens hair? just the experts giving out tips and tricks for styling hair that we would be able to apply.
Sure those of us who have read The Mens Hair book will already know how to style our hair and tricks like not getting the hair products on the scalp just one the air etc but how about a public discussion in this thread or another one where we can talk just on styling hair? Wink
Would love to hear from the experts in the forum what trick and tips they have on how to style hair. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2014, 01:26 PM
RE: How to style Mens Hair? Expert tips and tricks
Stevens, you were on a roll asking questions yesterday, huh? Big Grin (joking)

We were already planning on adding a guide specific to mens hair styling, but, since you've already asked, I am happy to dedicate this thread to providing a styling guide here and continue any discussion on the topic.

For starters, we have covered a whole lot of mens hairstyles in the forum. The actual act of styling the hair is not difficult at all, and where the trick lies is in creating the overall style and look of the particular hairstyle you want to get. Thus we have covered all these tricks in the forum, and now it's a good time to polish a bit on the particular technique to use for hair styling.

The steps below on how to style hair are for all hair types and hair lengths.
  1. Dry the hair so that it remains damp (not dripping water but not fully dried either).
  2. Shake head to make sure hair is loose and ready. If you hair is of a short length, then you can skip this styling step.
  3. Rapidly style the hair to your desired hairstyle with your fingers only and without using any product. This is done so as to create the mold and foundation to the rest of the steps below.
  4. Grab the hair product you want to use and coat your hair with it by using your fingers. Make sure to NOT get the hair product on your scalp, especially if you're using the No Shampoo method and Sebum Coating method of Rogelio (more on that a bit further down).
  5. Use a comb or your fingers to give the direction to the hair and thus obtain your desired hairstyle.
  6. Add any ancillary hair styling tools like a hair dryer (aka blow dryer), hair spray or a hair straightener (although in the case of the hair straightener, you want to straighten the hair prior to Step 3)
The above are the steps to follow in order to style men's hair and these steps are pretty much the same regardless of the hair product you use to style your hair, although I would recommend you to check out our guide on which hair products to use for mens hairstyles so that you know which products are the ones that optimally suit whichever hairstyle you want to give yourself.

Lastly, for those of you reading this and not owning yet The Men's Hair Book, then I highly recommend you to get the book as it goes into a lot of detail on everything about the daily grooming and styling processes of hair. I've mentioned the No Shampoo method and Sebum Coating method because these are two pioneering methods created by Rogelio (author of the book) and which are described in the book. Many guys are using these methods as well as the many more methods found in the book and the improvements reported in hair aesthetics are quite impressive (you can see more/buy the book HERE).

I emphasized in the steps to NOT get any product on the scalp because, with the grooming and styling methods of The Men's Hair Book, you will be using your own sebum to create a healthy and aesthetic environment for your hair, and getting products like pomades or waxes on the scalp will interrupt this environment and make one heck of a mess!

If there are any questions or anybody would like to discuss the above steps and the whole process of styling male hair, then please post in this threadd Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Awesome man thanks.
What would you say is the hair product to be more careful with when styling the hair?
04-07-2014, 04:44 PM
(04-07-2014 12:12 PM)Stevens Wrote:  Awesome man thanks.
What would you say is the hair product to be more careful with when styling the hair?

The worst offenders are petrolatum pomades like Murray's pomade that are too oily and leave too much residue that requires some heavy shampooing to remove and even require the use of clarifying shampoos to completely remove. Such pomades (oil-based) do certainly have their place in mens hair styling, but one must be very careful on applying it to the hair as "less is more" really works with these types of pomades.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New style wanted Snow23 0 161 10-24-2016 07:54 PM
Last Post: Snow23
Star Curtains hair style or bowl haircut, which hairstyle is better? MrPinkLipstick 1 252 10-06-2016 11:49 AM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Awkward phase tips Sadboi2003 0 169 09-29-2016 07:36 AM
Last Post: Sadboi2003
  how to style like this? olsson 0 409 05-06-2016 11:48 AM
Last Post: olsson