Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to shave full thick beard? Beard trimmer first?
12-14-2013, 03:50 PM
How to shave full thick beard? Beard trimmer first?
I am growing my beard for Decembeard and I am wondering how to shave my beard when it gets too thick and full. When I grew my mustache for Movember I had a bit of trouble shaving the mustache and required a couple of disposable safety razors so I can't imagine what it would take to shave a full thick beard once it has grown enough...Huh

- Do you first use a beard trimmer on the full beard to reduce its size first and then use a razor to shave the trimmed beard?
- Or do you attempt shaving off the beard with a razor right from the start?
- Also what type of razor to use to shave a full beard?? straight razors are longer than safety razors but straight razors are also more dangerous and with such a thick full beard i'm not too sure if it is safe to use a straight razor for the shaving of such a big mass of beard hair.

Thanks for the answers!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2013, 07:29 PM
RE: How to shave full thick beard? Beard trimmer first?
yes thats right mate, use a beard trimmer first if u have one because a full beard is most of the time way too thick to just shave it with a razor, str8 razor or safety razor dont matter.
In fact if ur going to try using a razor to shave the beard off without a beard trimmer you will be going through a couple of razor cartridges or disposable razors, had it happen couple of times to know this is how it goes .
So better use a beard trimmer to reduce the length of the beard, then use a razor to shave the beard.
Training as a barber myself i cam only say a str8 razor is miles better for shaving a beard or a moustache but then u need some experience with a str8 razor to get the hang and flow of this type of razor.
Dont over think it tho, go with a safety razor if u prefer that, its the beard trimmer that u should try to make an effort to use especially if ur going to be growing a beard with frequency in the future - u can find a good bear trimmer under 100 pound/dollars and the boys have covered beard trimmers in the forum i believe.
12-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Awesome thanxs Bradley.
Anyone else got anything else to add, especially to do with straight razors vs safety razors.
12-21-2013, 03:44 PM
(12-20-2013 04:03 PM)Stevens Wrote:  Awesome thanxs Bradley.
Anyone else got anything else to add, especially to do with straight razors vs safety razors.

Stevens, my recommendation is to continue with a safety razor if that is what you're use to. You need some basic skill to use a straight razor and that skill only comes with practice. Even Barber who is pro straight razor ackowledges a minimal level of skill to use a straight razor. Becaus eyou will have so much facial hair as a beard to shave, just stick with a good safety razor and then get practicing with straight razor shaving with stubble only.

A good safety razor to use for beard shaving is this safety razor. The blades are double edge, sharp and sturdy (and so is the handle) so it will shave a thick beard without a problem (although use a beard trimmer first in your case as you have one). For that safety razor I suggested make sure to buy this extra packs of blades (extra 50 in total).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What beard trimmer? Hublocker 0 69 11-21-2016 04:42 PM
Last Post: Hublocker
  Can I grow skyrim beard Skyrimbeard 1 139 11-15-2016 11:47 AM
Last Post: Cemmos
  Patch in beard Zaryhf 0 210 10-15-2016 02:25 AM
Last Post: Zaryhf
  Facial hair and beard styles stereotypes in the media - Report The Hairstylist 0 203 10-09-2016 09:07 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist