Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to shampoo and use a hair conditioner for men
01-05-2014, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 12:35 PM by Stevens.)
How to shampoo and use a hair conditioner for men
Hey guys I would like to post a guide to how to shampoo mens hair and how to use a conditioner so others can find it useful. I based the tips on what i read in the Mens Hair book & there is a whole chapter in the book on shampoos and conditioners but posting here some small structure guide on shampoos and conditioners will surely help people here and Rogelio who owns the book is cool with posting these little summaries.
I also asked a mod first if i could post this how to guide so here it goes - i posted it as steps & if you find any errors pls let me know as mods havent proof read it Smile

How to shampoo hair
1) Take warm or cool water and saturate your hair and scalp.
2) Take small amount of shampoo about quarter to palm and rub you palms together to distribute it evenly. Try to distribute the shampoo in these ares: front, middle of head, back, sides of head and just above the neck hair.
3) Massage of your scalp with finger balls gently in all the areas of your head.
4) If your scalp is oily then repeat the process 2 to 3 times.
5) Finish by using water to rinse the shampoo away.

How to use a conditioner
1) After rinsing shampoo, take some conditioner in one palm and rub both the palm together to dispense it evenly.
2) Apply the conditioner from the the first third of the hair shaft right till the end - so till the end of the hair basically.
3) Leave conditioner for a minute or two, it will say the exact time in the bottle.
4) Finish by using water to rinse the conditioner from your scalp. While rinsing run your fingers from scalp to tip to make sure it is removed but also your own sebum is spread on the hair.

For shampoo frequency you can shampoo any time from every day to once a week which depends on how much hair products for styling your hair you use, if you smoke, do exercise etc in the book you get a good template to work your ideal frequency. Every other day - in the book its called 1 on/1 off - is a good shampoo frequency to start with & every time you shampoo you always follow with the conditioner!

That is it Big Grin it takes about five minutes even less. After that you dry your hair and style the hair and finito!
Steve
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2014, 12:38 PM
RE: How to shampoo and use a hair conditioner for men
oh and for what shampoo and conditioner to use I currently use a tea tree shampoo and conditioner set and you can see the other options recommended in the forum in this hair product thread ..
01-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Hey Steve, thank for your shampoo and conditioner guide, buddy!

Looks good and in line to what the shampooing and conditioning guidelines of The Men's Hair Book are. I see you added later on the shampooing frequency which is just as important as to how you shampoo in the shower.

Shampooing every day is overkill for the vast majority of men and skipping a day on the second day (aka 1 on 1 off or "every other day" as you correctly stated) is a good starting point for guys wanting to improve the state of their manes.

Solid advice Steve. It's great to be having more and more forum members contributing their tips and tricks for others to read and learn.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-05-2014, 02:40 PM
(01-05-2014 02:14 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Hey Steve, thank for your shampoo and conditioner guide, buddy!

Looks good and in line to what the shampooing and conditioning guidelines of The Men's Hair Book are. I see you added later on the shampooing frequency which is just as important as to how you shampoo in the shower.

Shampooing every day is overkill for the vast majority of men and skipping a day on the second day (aka 1 on 1 off or "every other day" as you correctly stated) is a good starting point for guys wanting to improve the state of their manes.

Solid advice Steve. It's great to be having more and more forum members contributing their tips and tricks for others to read and learn.

thanks for the words TMHF Smile yeah I threw in the frequency bit as its true it is important too!
01-06-2014, 03:50 PM
hey cool guide mate as simple as shampoo-ing can look you need to do it right to get the nasty stuff out without drying ur hair like hay, its all about concentrating the shampoo on the scalp as you wrote!
Cheers
02-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Good procedure. For girl same is followed.
03-03-2014, 02:32 PM
For me conditioning always seems to leave my hair "wiry" and harder to style. Also I felt it would leave my hair "dull" over a period of time. But maybe that's because I wasn't using quality conditioners? My hair is thick and black and I literally just use shower gel because I was fed up of all the labels on shampoos and every one would leave me dry. The only "conditioning" I do now is to rinse with vinegar once in a while when my hair's especially "poofy". Anybody recommend to me what I'm doing wrong?
03-06-2014, 10:50 AM
I have read the products thread and the suggested shampoos and conditioners. Would those do for oily hair? how about shampoo for thick hair?

I also have The Mens Hair book and the grooming method is working really good. My only issue is the pomade I am using for which I posted another thread. because the pomade is too greasy then I need something a bit stronger to clean the mess Big Grin

Any suggestions?
03-06-2014, 05:56 PM
(03-03-2014 02:32 PM)AD120790 Wrote:  For me conditioning always seems to leave my hair "wiry" and harder to style. Also I felt it would leave my hair "dull" over a period of time. But maybe that's because I wasn't using quality conditioners? My hair is thick and black and I literally just use shower gel because I was fed up of all the labels on shampoos and every one would leave me dry. The only "conditioning" I do now is to rinse with vinegar once in a while when my hair's especially "poofy". Anybody recommend to me what I'm doing wrong?

Rinsing with vinegar will not always do. Instead a good conditioner, especially one without silicones, is a great option if you want to style your hair without many hair products (which is always a good thing for naturally wiry-looking hair. This one from Tresemme is a great conditioner that can fit the bill very well, so I would give that conditioner a go before any others.

(03-06-2014 10:50 AM)James Wrote:  I have read the products thread and the suggested shampoos and conditioners. Would those do for oily hair? how about shampoo for thick hair?

I also have The Mens Hair book and the grooming method is working really good. My only issue is the pomade I am using for which I posted another thread. because the pomade is too greasy then I need something a bit stronger to clean the mess Big Grin

Any suggestions?

James, if you are having issues with oily hair then this shampoo here will do you well. However, if your issues are related to the heavy use of pomade, especially the oil-based pomades, then your issue may need something stronger. Removing pomade from hair can be a task on its own and so much more for the oil-based ones as they tend to leave quite a bit of residue themselves.

This particular shampoo will work very well to remove pomade that is used on a daily basis. It is a bit expensive but it comes in a whopping 33-ounce container so the cost isn't as high once that is factored in and once you take into account that it cleans so much more than any regular shampoo for oily hair. It's also made by a cosmetics powerhouse so you will get a high quality qith hat. But, as said, only with this second shampoo if you're having serious issues removing the pomade off your head. If it isn't much of an issue, go with the shampoo in the first link.

In terms of conditioner, you may need some more conditioning as you'll be using strong shampoos to remove the pomade. While the conditioner I recommended to the other user above is a good one when using few light products, in the case of using pomade, something with a bit more of a conditioning oomph will do you better. In this case, this hair conditioner will work very well, simply apply it to your hair after the shampoo, leave it on for 2 minutes and then rise the conditioner. Done!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-11-2014, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 01:42 PM by AD120790.)
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the tresseme conditioner. It is definitely the silicones my hair hates, as dry shampoo and hairsprays with the evil "Dimethicone" used to do the exact same thing to my hair- leave it dull and lifeless. I've been silicone-free for a while now so my hair hasn't felt wiry for at least a year. But similarly I've been wondering if I could be getting more from my hair with a conditioner.

Should I condition after every wash? Or is there a method to this?

And does conditioning more often give your hair more "give" regarding oiliness between washes?
03-11-2014, 03:29 PM
(03-11-2014 01:41 PM)AD120790 Wrote:  Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the tresseme conditioner. It is definitely the silicones my hair hates, as dry shampoo and hairsprays with the evil "Dimethicone" used to do the exact same thing to my hair- leave it dull and lifeless. I've been silicone-free for a while now so my hair hasn't felt wiry for at least a year. But similarly I've been wondering if I could be getting more from my hair with a conditioner.

Should I condition after every wash? Or is there a method to this?

And does conditioning more often give your hair more "give" regarding oiliness between washes?

While dimethicone is not evil per se, a conditioner with dimethicone can certainly weigh down your hair and add "too much" to your hair (i.e. over saturate it). I just read a post of yours in another thread where you mentioned that you use hair wax a lot and a sculpting one, which are usually loaded with pro-pliable ingredients and that, when used via your grooming habits together with a dimethicone-heavy conditioner for a long-enough period of time, can cause the hair to become "oversaturated" which then means not enough moisture is allowed INTO the hair (think of an impenetrable barrier) which then leads to hair looking wiry (exactly what you're reporting). That's why I mentioned the Tresemme conditioner as that one goes very well with men who use hair products that leave too much of a residue (waxes, pomades, spray, gel etc) and who tend to have their hair go dull/wiry/flat/lacking-in-body very fast, even when using little product per se.

While we have yet to write a guide about it, we in this forum follow the school of thought of Rogelio (author of The Men's Hair Book) when it comes to shampoo frequency and conditioning. I've spoken with him plenty of times and we both agree that finding out one\s own perfect (or as he calls, "optimal") shampooing and conditioning frequency is very important. And this comes from trial and error and will also depend upon your hair type based on our forum's hair type guide which is based on Rogelio's pioneered hair type guide (the ISEZ method, also in The Men's Hair Book and covered in a whole chapter with lots of details!). Usually curly hair benefits from shampooing less and conditioning more, but the ultimate perfect frequency is unique to each male.

Rogelio provides the whole method on shampoos/conditioners and using them, combining them and getting them to work optimally (his method is called "No Shampoo") as well as the format and detailed instructions to follow the method in his book The Men's Hair Book (the book is a treasure for men who want better hair). What we recommend in this forum and based on The Men's Hair Book as well as based on our forum's hair professionals (barbers, hairdressers and stylists) is to always condition right after using a shampoo. So if you shampoo everyday (which you should not unless using a lot of products), you then conditioning every day (after the shampoo). This is why it is so important to find out your shampooing frequency as everything stems out from there.

As a minimum though, I would condition at least 3 times per week on alternating days. Ideally you want to do it the Rogelio way of introducing an extra day every X amount of time, but for a good eyeball figure, using a hair conditioner 3 times per week is a good start. From there onwards you track how your hair looks and feels and add or remove days.

You can first try the method as per my above instructions with your current conditioner if your current conditioner has silicone based ingredients in it. What I'd do is get the Tresemme conditioner from Amazon (the one in the link I gave you is bargain compared to high street stores) and once it arrived in your house, then continue working on your ideal frequency with this new conditioner (just take over from the same frequency you were using with your old conditioner at the time the new conditioner arrived at your place).

I do have a feeling that you will be getting better results with that kind of conditioner (Tresemme one) because a sign of oversaturated hair is the hair looking wiry or dull (without applied products, that is). Rogelio does actually mention that too in The Men's Hair Book which is why the book itself is such a good book as these little gems may look trivial on the outside but they can totally change the way your hair looks upon acting on one and getting it fixed. The you find another little aspect of your hair grooming or styling that you weren't doing adequatdly and fix that too, and so on and on until your hair reaches autopilot and looks darn good every day without you doing much whatsoever!

Lastly, once you notice that your hair starts to become wiry again, then your best bet is to get a clarifying shampoo which will remove the saturation and reset your hair. It's all explained in the book and Rogelio dedicated sections to each of the 7 types of shampoos (yes, the dude went through the effort to document even the wildest shampoo types which are of a lot of help and which any regular dude won't have heard of in his life!). So, if you're going to get the Tresemme shampoo that I linked above, then throw into your Amazon basket this clarifying shampoo and use it whenever your hair is starting to become wiry again. The shampoo in the link will reset your hair in terms of saturation so that you can continue having hair that looks smooth and isn't wiry.

Follow the clarifying shampoo with the new conditioner. Because you'll be using the clarifying shampoo infrequently, it will last you a very long time so better to have it now and start playing with it so you can begin to tweak your grooming and styling (you won't need to use the clarifying shampoo any more frequently than once a week, it's usually once every 2 weeks to once a month).

03-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Wow thanks for the lengthy reply. I knew dimethicone had its uses, but like you say it does have a tendency to build up and become harder to remove. I always find that a my hair feels stronger and silkier after conditioning with a good non-silicone conditioner, so the difference between the two tends to be marked. I'll definitely take this on board.
03-12-2014, 12:49 PM
(03-12-2014 12:19 PM)AD120790 Wrote:  Wow thanks for the lengthy reply. I knew dimethicone had its uses, but like you say it does have a tendency to build up and become harder to remove. I always find that a my hair feels stronger and silkier after conditioning with a good non-silicone conditioner, so the difference between the two tends to be marked. I'll definitely take this on board.

Can't really add anything else to what TMHF replied. He is right that wax as a hairstyling product and dimethicone as a water insoluble silicone will end up creating like an invisible crust (lol) across the hair strands.
Because the dimethicone repels the moisture from getting retained in the strands you get dry hair. Usually looks like hair and if curly the shape is not full or defined.

The mousse suggestion is good btw cause it leaves less residue and is lighter. And it gives the hair more body. But like TMHF also mentioned mousse gives a different finish although imo it is worth trying if you want some more body and bulk into the hair.
03-16-2014, 03:16 PM
(03-12-2014 12:49 PM)Bradley Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 12:19 PM)AD120790 Wrote:  Wow thanks for the lengthy reply. I knew dimethicone had its uses, but like you say it does have a tendency to build up and become harder to remove. I always find that a my hair feels stronger and silkier after conditioning with a good non-silicone conditioner, so the difference between the two tends to be marked. I'll definitely take this on board.

Can't really add anything else to what TMHF replied. He is right that wax as a hairstyling product and dimethicone as a water insoluble silicone will end up creating like an invisible crust (lol) across the hair strands.
Because the dimethicone repels the moisture from getting retained in the strands you get dry hair. Usually looks like hair and if curly the shape is not full or defined.

The mousse suggestion is good btw cause it leaves less residue and is lighter. And it gives the hair more body. But like TMHF also mentioned mousse gives a different finish although imo it is worth trying if you want some more body and bulk into the hair.

I recently borrowed a recommended conditioner from a friend, the Redken Cool Finish. It has amodimethicone which I had researched and found is not supposed to be prone to build-up like Dimethicone. After using it my hair did feel great, but I suppose the proof of the pudding will be after a few more uses.
03-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the tips! I find that I'm probably being a little bit too rough when shampooing my hair & I probably need to leave it in for a bit longer to make sure it brings out the desired effect!!
03-25-2014, 05:39 PM
(03-16-2014 03:16 PM)AD120790 Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 12:49 PM)Bradley Wrote:  

I recently borrowed a recommended conditioner from a friend, the Redken Cool Finish. It has amodimethicone which I had researched and found is not supposed to be prone to build-up like Dimethicone. After using it my hair did feel great, but I suppose the proof of the pudding will be after a few more uses.

Yes, in some guys, conditioners with water soluble silicones are a good option. We have a guide on the silicones being prepared, but focusing on silicones should not be a priority and instead it should be more of a "knowledge equals power" thing. There are quite a few variables to consider when it comes to which silicones will work better or not, and the key is to start with a good regular conditioner, and then experiment until one achieves the desired results regardless of ingredients in the formulation.

If you eventually like the Redken one, though, I highly recommend you to try the Tresemme conditioner I linked to earlier in this thread (a couple of posts above) as that Tresemme conditioner is formulated specifically taking into consideration the need for no build up. It's a really good product for the price it has, and the price itself is unbeatable.

(03-25-2014 02:13 PM)JDeee Wrote:  Thanks for the tips! I find that I'm probably being a little bit too rough when shampooing my hair & I probably need to leave it in for a bit longer to make sure it brings out the desired effect!!

When shampooing, do more of a massaging motion trying to focus the action of the shampoo on the scalp. Don't rush it (but obviously don't spend half your morning doing massaging your scalp).

For reference purposes, Rogelio in The Men's Hair Book (click link to read a staff review) recommends 20 seconds of massaging per each scalp section (there are 6 sections, 2 done at a time, each with each hand). So you are looking at one minute for the massaging and correct use of shampoo once you get the hang of it (it's fine if you take longer, but eventually the goal is to get to one minute in what he coined the 9 Minute Perfect Mane routine Big Grin which is the whole daily routine for your hair including the time spent in the bathroom. From my experience, the routine and the times used for the routine and for shampooing are very realistic.

03-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Great process. Thanks for this valuable post.
04-17-2014, 08:35 PM
(01-05-2014 12:34 PM)Stevens Wrote:  Hey guys I would like to post a guide to how to shampoo mens hair and how to use a conditioner so others can find it useful. I based the tips on what i read in the Mens Hair book & there is a whole chapter in the book on shampoos and conditioners but posting here some small structure guide on shampoos and conditioners will surely help people here and Rogelio who owns the book is cool with posting these little summaries.
I also asked a mod first if i could post this how to guide so here it goes - i posted it as steps & if you find any errors pls let me know as mods havent proof read it Smile

How to shampoo hair
1) Take warm or cool water and saturate your hair and scalp.
2) Take small amount of shampoo about quarter to palm and rub you palms together to distribute it evenly. Try to distribute the shampoo in these ares: front, middle of head, back, sides of head and just above the neck hair.
3) Massage of your scalp with finger balls gently in all the areas of your head.
4) If your scalp is oily then repeat the process 2 to 3 times.
5) Finish by using water to rinse the shampoo away.

How to use a conditioner
1) After rinsing shampoo, take some conditioner in one palm and rub both the palm together to dispense it evenly.
2) Apply the conditioner from the the first third of the hair shaft right till the end - so till the end of the hair basically.
3) Leave conditioner for a minute or two, it will say the exact time in the bottle.
4) Finish by using water to rinse the conditioner from your scalp. While rinsing run your fingers from scalp to tip to make sure it is removed but also your own sebum is spread on the hair.

For shampoo frequency you can shampoo any time from every day to once a week which depends on how much hair products for styling your hair you use, if you smoke, do exercise etc in the book you get a good template to work your ideal frequency. Every other day - in the book its called 1 on/1 off - is a good shampoo frequency to start with & every time you shampoo you always follow with the conditioner!

That is it Big Grin it takes about five minutes even less. After that you dry your hair and style the hair and finito!
Steve

Am I the only guy who ever applied both of them together... Anyways thank you for the kind of how to properly apply the shampoo and condition, I used to leave condition for 5 mins at a time before.
04-18-2014, 12:04 PM
(04-17-2014 08:35 PM)herehair Wrote:  Am I the only guy who ever applied both of them together... Anyways thank you for the kind of how to properly apply the shampoo and condition, I used to leave condition for 5 mins at a time before.

Well, there are some hair products that are 2 in 1 shampoos in that the product has the properties of both a shampoo and a conditioner. However, the results with such types of special shampoos is not that good, and you're better off using first a shampoo, then rinsing it, and then using the conditioner. However, from your post, I assume you were actually just throwing both products on your hair and using them at the same time? Big Grin

There's no need to leave the conditioner for 5 minutes, 2 minutes is more than enough. Of course, there's no harm done with leaving the conditioner on your hair for 5 minutes, but you can remove 3 minutes from that time span and still get the same results. However, one type of conditioner that does benefit from longer periods of application is a deep conditioner. I will below aim to describe what a deep conditioner does and recommend one that many of us use, as a deep conditioner can be added to one's already established grooming habits/routine without a problem whatsoever.

A deep conditioner is a product that is a more powerful conditioner and that should only be used once a month to once a week. Deep conditioners are great for using once your hair is not responding to your use of the regular conditioner as the deep conditioner acts as an enhancing product to bring back your maximized hair aesthetics.

One deep conditioner that does has an excellent aesthetics-enhancing effect is this deep conditioner, which you can add to your grooming routine and use once every 2 weeks for further improving your hair aesthetics. This deep conditioner in the link is an awesome product that will further enhance one's hair as a male and which is also a "must-have" product for those guys who either straighten their hair with a hair straightener or who frequently use a hair dryer. This recommended deep conditioner comes in a 33-ounce bottle and, since it only needs to be used anywhere from once a week to once a month (up to your preference), the product will last you a very long time, so it's an excellent add-on to one's male grooming arsenal (once every 2 weeks is a great starting frequency for this recommended deep conditioner).

Deep conditioners like the one recommended in the link above need to be left on the hair for 10 minutes or longer (it always specifies the time span in the product label, so don't worry about that). What many of us do is apply the deep conditioner to the hair when we have some time to kill so, for example, apply the deep conditioner while watching TV or while on the computer (even as you browse Men's Hair Forum Big Grin). You don't have to be in the shower during the time that the deep conditioner needs to be left on the hair as it works its magic on your mane, so the use of a deep conditioner is quite convenient when you have some time to kill.

04-18-2014, 03:20 PM
(04-18-2014 12:04 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 08:35 PM)herehair Wrote:  Am I the only guy who ever applied both of them together... Anyways thank you for the kind of how to properly apply the shampoo and condition, I used to leave condition for 5 mins at a time before.

Well, there are some hair products that are 2 in 1 shampoos in that the product has the properties of both a shampoo and a conditioner. However, the results with such types of special shampoos is not that good, and you're better off using first a shampoo, then rinsing it, and then using the conditioner. However, from your post, I assume you were actually just throwing both products on your hair and using them at the same time? Big Grin

There's no need to leave the conditioner for 5 minutes, 2 minutes is more than enough. Of course, there's no harm done with leaving the conditioner on your hair for 5 minutes, but you can remove 3 minutes from that time span and still get the same results. However, one type of conditioner that does benefit from longer periods of application is a deep conditioner. I will below aim to describe what a deep conditioner does and recommend one that many of us use, as a deep conditioner can be added to one's already established grooming habits/routine without a problem whatsoever.

A deep conditioner is a product that is a more powerful conditioner and that should only be used once a month to once a week. Deep conditioners are great for using once your hair is not responding to your use of the regular conditioner as the deep conditioner acts as an enhancing product to bring back your maximized hair aesthetics.

One deep conditioner that does has an excellent aesthetics-enhancing effect is 20]this deep conditioner[/url], which you can add to your grooming routine and use once every 2 weeks for further improving your hair aesthetics. This deep conditioner in the link is an awesome product that will further enhance one's hair as a male and which is also a "must-have" product for those guys who either straighten their hair with a hair straightener or who frequently use a hair dryer. This recommended deep conditioner comes in a 33-ounce bottle and, since it only needs to be used anywhere from once a week to once a month (up to your preference), the product will last you a very long time, so it's an excellent add-on to one's male grooming arsenal (once every 2 weeks is a great starting frequency for this recommended deep conditioner).

Deep conditioners like the one recommended in the link above need to be left on the hair for 10 minutes or longer (it always specifies the time span in the product label, so don't worry about that). What many of us do is apply the deep conditioner to the hair when we have some time to kill so, for example, apply the deep conditioner while watching TV or while on the computer (even as you browse Men's Hair Forum Big Grin). You don't have to be in the shower during the time that the deep conditioner needs to be left on the hair as it works its magic on your mane, so the use of a deep conditioner is quite convenient when you have some time to kill.

Thanks for the info THMF, I use a 2 in 1 conditioner and shampoo from Head and Shoulder, so I guess I just use Shampoo and conditioner separately, thought it could have saved me a bit of money as well, oh and thanks for the info on the deep hair conditioner
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Hair products and shampoo ingredients, do you believe them? Sunset 8 2,832 03-16-2015 08:43 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1
  Good dandruff shampoo for black men? or curly hair? Robert 2 3,145 12-04-2014 05:16 PM
Last Post: Robert
Question Good dandruff shampoo for men? Vladimir 3 4,001 12-03-2014 11:38 AM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber
  Any recommendations for a good tear free shampoo for kids? Stevens 1 2,953 12-02-2014 05:29 PM
Last Post: Sunset