Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to reverse or treat hair damage?
10-27-2014, 07:21 AM
How to reverse or treat hair damage?
I am beginning to think that part of my hair loss is from hair damage. Can anyone mention how to reverse or treat hair damage for men?
I admit my hair care hasn't been spectacular as I have been more focused on treating the alopecia. Now that the minoxidil is working great, I even visited a doctor and he wanted to put me on finasteride but no way I am getting into that one. Anyway so the hair loss is under control and it's now time for me to put my hair care in order and treat any hair damage. Thanks for any help Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2014, 10:19 AM
RE: How to reverse or treat hair damage?
Hi Vladimir I have talked about hair damage in other threads although I am fine with talking more in new threads Smile

How to reverse hair damage:

Nothing can bring back hair that has fallen off, but you can reverse most any other damage. Remove build up with a clarifying shampoo only when needed. Apply a protein treatment to supply the hair with missing protein, you can buy them at any salon. Follow the directions exactly, rinse well and never abuse protein treatments because you can use too much. Don't apply more than one in a month to be safe.

Use a moisture treatment to feed dry hair back to health. This treatment will also seal down exploded cuticle, putting the shine back into your hair and making your color more vibrant. These treatments can be done consecutively if you seem to be missing protein and moisture (see the hair damage diagnosis post I posted in your other thread).

Apply protein treatment first, rinse, then the moisture treatment, rinse. You can repeat a moisture treatment once a week if you like. Finally if you have severe split ends you need to get your hair trimmed, and continue regular trims no less than every eight weeks. If you don't you're headed for trouble because split ends can start to travel all the way up the hair strand.

If you have followed these instructions for more than three months and see little to no improvement then you may have a chemical breakdown of the bonds that form your hair, a serious condition that cannot be reversed, so you should either cut the damaged hair or you should see a professional for diagnosis.

How to prevent and treat hair damage:

I posted these tips in another thread but I will post them again here for a fuller guide. Most of the products recommended for damaged mens hair can be found in the hair products sticky thread.

When the cuticle of the hair is stripped away because of heat damage, overuse of heated styling tools or over-brushing, the result is often split ends or irregularities in the hair strands that become impossible to style. A lack of moisture, color processing and brushing hair when it's wet (instead of damp) can all cause damaged ends and damage to the shaft structure, and your hair will start to look dull and become dry, lifeless and flat.

There are also a number of ways to treat damaged hair and keep your hair looking healthy. Here are some of the best ways to treat damaged hair and split ends for guys.

Use a Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner:

Make sure you're using the right type of shampoo and conditioner on a regular basis, and you may be able to prevent damaged, brittle hair. If you already have damaged ends, a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner can restore lost moisture and help to soften and strengthen your strands.

There is an awesome discussion in this shampoo and conditioner thread about the right men shampoos and conditioners according to your needs.

Apply a Damage Repair Ampoule:

Ampoules are highly concentrated damage-repair products that can strengthen dry and broken hair to leave it looking silky and smooth. These ampoules contain amino-polymers and other compounds that infuse the hair with much-needed moisture and also protect the hair from humidity, heat and other environmental factors. You can work these into wet hair after shampooing and leave in the hair for about five minutes to restore lost moisture.

Damage Repair Ampoules are not cheap, so if you need something more affordable, get a hair mask or serum.

Use a Deep-Conditioning Treatment at Least Twice Per Week:

Deep conditioners are designed to infuse the hair and scalp with a heavy dose of moisture and can help to keep your hair looking soft, shiny and silky. If you have damaged ends, make sure to apply the deep conditioning treatment generously on the ends and let it set for at least twenty minutes. You can wrap your hair in a warm towel during the setting process so that the conditioner can moisturize your hair on a deeper level.

Try a Heat-Protectant Spray:

You can prevent excess damage from the heat, humidity and even your blow dryer when you spritz your hair with a heat-protectant spray. Make sure you spray a generous amount directly onto the ends of your hair to prevent further damage and keep your hair looking silky and shiny. Even if you're letting your hair dry naturally, this type of spray will help to create soft and lustrous hair and protect your hair from environmental damage.

Avoid Using Heated Styling Tools on the Ends:

A blow dryer on its highest heat setting, curling irons, flat irons and other heated styling tools can further damage your hair and make your split ends (especially) more pronounced. Don't use these tools daily if you have damaged hair and allow your hair to dry naturally whenever you can. Use a boar's hair brush to straighten and style your hair to prevent the further hair damage that less flexible bristles cause.

Also always use a heat tamer when using a flat iron or curling iron. If you already have damaged hair, then also use a heat tamer when blow drying our hair with a hair dryer. See the recommended hair products thread for the recommended heat tamer for men.

Trim the hair tips:

If you aren't growing your hair longer, then trim at a quarter of an inch off during each hairdresser visit to get rid of split ends and to prevent damaged ends from expanding further. Only do this step if you want to keep your current hair length.

Restoring damaged hair and damaged ends isn't easy, but there are several things you can do to lock more moisture into your strands and prevent further damage. Use some of these tips and hair care strategies to treat damaged hair and reduce the risk of dried-out tresses.
10-27-2014, 11:45 AM
As an addition to the post above, here are some of the causes of hair damage.

Excessive coloring: causes the hair strand to swell and become tangly.

Excessive highlighting: causes protein loss and structural breakdown.

Using rubber bands tied too tightly: in the hair securing them too tightly or using them on wet hair will cause hair breakage. This has been discussed for hairstyles like the man bun and top knot.

Brushing wrong: do not brush from the top of your head first start at the bottom of the strands first, then work your way up.

Combing or brushing hard: be gentle when combing or brushing your as you can damage it so easily.

Drugs: your hair excretes anything you eat, or drink including medications. If you have a build up of mineral deposits from hard water or take a lot of medications, you may need to have a special treatment done at a salon at least once every six months to strip them out. You can also use a chelating shampoo to remove the chemicals on the hair and scalp (see this mens shampoo thread for all the shampoo options including chelating shampoo).

Not using a conditioner: a hair conditioner is a must-have to have great hair as a dude. Conditioners protect your hair from friction and damage so not using a conditioner is an indirect cause of damaged hair.
12-27-2014, 03:19 AM
(10-27-2014 07:21 AM)Vladimir Wrote:  I am beginning to think that part of my hair loss is from hair damage. Can anyone mention how to reverse or treat hair damage for men?
I admit my hair care hasn't been spectacular as I have been more focused on treating the alopecia. Now that the minoxidil is working great, I even visited a doctor and he wanted to put me on finasteride but no way I am getting into that one. Anyway so the hair loss is under control and it's now time for me to put my hair care in order and treat any hair damage. Thanks for any help Smile

I followed the advice of my hairdresser. She told me that the radiotherapy I had undergone made my hair very brittle, breaking, lost it's shine and generally did not look healthy at all. She recommended I use Pro Naturals Hair Repair System. Now my hair is back to growing well with lots of bounce and shine. I especially like the Moroccan Argan Oil leave in treatment. If it works for a female it should work for you. Incidentally, MH uses the shampoo and conditioner as well.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to treat and cure dandruff Stevens 30 15,738 09-27-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: rvandint
  How to treat and repair damaged hair for men? Alex 6 27,770 01-14-2015 06:22 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1
Question Does Excessive Wind Cause Hair Damage Unshorn 2 2,090 11-24-2014 11:02 AM
Last Post: AfroJay
  Any advice on how to treat kids dandruff? Treatment like adults? Stevens 2 1,161 11-20-2014 10:10 AM
Last Post: Stevens