Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to quit smoking tips for better mens hair health
02-23-2015, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 09:00 AM by Sunset.)
How to quit smoking tips for better mens hair health
I decided to quit smoking some months ago with the following quit smoking tips. I did this not just for health but also for hair health. I have read how smoking causes the capillaries to narrow down and become clogged which then leads to less nutrients getting to the hair follicles. The result? hair loss and weak hair. One of the tips against hairloss is to actually quit smoking. Go figure.

I've noticed a positive change in m hair by quitting cigarette smoking. Enough to actually be noticed by others. Mostly it has made my hair look healthier as my girl and family members saying how my hair looks healthier. It also gives a natural shine which I believe has to do with better sebum spreading. I have been using the sebum method from The Mens Hair book so it could be that too. In any case by quitting smoking my hair just looks better.

I wanted to share some of the quit smoking tips I used. I followed a 3 week plan to quit smoking. It was done gradually but with a fast taper. My doctor recommended the plan to follow to quit smoking. I wasn't a heavy smoker but I would say I had about half a pack to three quarters of a pack per day. Those of you who smoke over a pack a day may need a bit more time or maybe 3 weeks will also work for you Smile

I didn't use any tools other than a couple of nicotine gums on the third week and for two weeks after the third week. I completely weaned off the nicotine gum by the second week. I actually found that it was starting to make me dizzy and I wanted to actively stop chewing the nicotine gum. This was a good queue that I was done with my tobacco/nicotine addiction Smile 4 months smoke free so far!

WEEK 1
1. Keep a diary of every cigarette smoked.
2. Write a list of 10 of your goals, dreams, ambitions.
3. Write a list of 10 reasons for stopping smoking.
4. Change your brand of cigarettes for the whole week.
5. Delay smoking for 20 min after your 3 main meals.
6. Brush your teeth and use mouthwash 5 times a day, carry your toothbrush with you all the time.

WEEK 2
1. Continue with smoking diary and note when you have them i.e. with alcohol, tea, coffee etc...
2. Continue brushing teeth.
3. Change to a brand of smokes you don't really like.
4. Change the hand and side of mouth you would usually use to smoke.
5. Delay smoking for 30 min after each meal.
6. Don't smoke with alcohol, tea, coffee, try at least 10 min after.

WEEK 3
1. Change to a low nicotine brand.
2. Don't smoke during the night or in your bedroom.
3. No smoking before breakfast.
4. Delay smoking for 45 min after all food.
5. No smoking for 45 min before going to bed.
6. Get lots of sleep.
7. Add exercise to your daily routine.
8. Drink 2 litres of water a day.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2015, 04:12 PM
RE: How to quit smoking tips for better mens hair health
How much damage do you think that casual smoking does to hair? just once or twice a week...
02-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Just make sure to have good hair nutrition to tame any hair damage.
Thanks for the tips, Sunset! It's always great to read of the particular successful stories and go-about-plan used when quitting the smoking vice. It's not an easy vice to quit, so there more successful quitting plans available on the internet (like yours) the better it will be for humanity as a whole, since quitting smoking is one of the best decisions anyone can do in his or her life.

It's no surprise that you found yourself with better hair once you stopped smoking. Your follicles get their supply of nutrients via tiny blood vessels that are very easy to be narrowed so much that the blood supply is cut to the follicle (creating all kinds of "bad hair" situations and even hair loss).

Good job!

(02-23-2015 04:12 PM)Machado Wrote:  How much damage do you think that casual smoking does to hair? just once or twice a week...

Machado, I've just replied to your dedicated thread on hair health and casual smoking. The answer is, "it depends", or in other words, smoking damages tissue directly or indirectly, but whether there's any hair health damage created by casual smoking worth worrying about is impossible to measure and pinpoint. Obviously, the more you smoke, the more damage you'll be creating in your body, so, if you're going to be casually smoking one day out of the week and you're concerned about your health and your hair's health, then try to keep the amount of cigarettes smoked to a minimum.

For what is worth, having good hair nutrition through your diet and supplementation will help a lot in taming any potential damage caused to your hair/follicles by smoking.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-27-2015, 09:30 AM
RE: How to quit smoking tips for better mens hair health
(02-26-2015 09:24 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  It's always great to read of the particular successful stories and go-about-plan used when quitting the smoking vice. It's not an easy vice to quit, so there more successful quitting plans available on the internet (like yours) the better it will be for humanity as a whole, since quitting smoking is one of the best decisions anyone can do in his or her life.

It's no surprise that you found yourself with better hair once you stopped smoking. Your follicles get their supply of nutrients via tiny blood vessels that are very easy to be narrowed so much that the blood supply is cut to the follicle (creating all kinds of "bad hair" situations and even hair loss).

I did like the other poster and started a new thread for a spun off topic from this thread. It's below in the link.
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...r-indirect
Hope that's fine as it has to do with male hair loss and smoking.

Since the rats in cigarettes blocks nutrient delivery to the hair follicles I was wondering if that mechanism would lead to male hair loss on its own. So if smoking causes male hair loss directly ?? And by that I mean the irreversible type of male hair loss like male pattern baldness aka MPB.
I'd love an answer for this if possible as the topic of hair loss is one I personally worry about TOO much Smile

WRT the main topic that is good to know as the more anecdotal evidence we have about what improves mens hair the better. I wasn't surprised that going from smoker to non smoker improved your hair. For example the hair loss product 'minoxidil' improves the delivery of nutrients to the hair follicles which improves hair loss and possible hair growth speed -- From my personal experience. So if smoking blocks the delivery of nutrients to the hair follicles then it's safe to assume that it will screw up with your hair. So in the end if you stop smoking then your hair gets better.
It's awesome that all these personal experiences are shared in this forum because this forum is the main resource online on mens hair. If I hadn't found out about this forum back in 2013 I would now be one sobbing bald guy Big Grin
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to get better hair and hairstyles as a male - 5 easy tips The Hairstylist 0 260 10-03-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  How to turn Curly hair into Straight hair? Straightening tips joserijo 1 1,246 09-25-2015 11:30 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Lightbulb Hair coloring tips for men to get and dye cool hair colors! Mane Man 1 1,232 07-05-2015 01:17 PM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber
  Any tips on handling awkward stage of growing out Hair shahrukhch1 14 34,486 03-23-2015 11:16 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1