Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to protect mens hair from swimming pool water or sea salt
08-08-2014, 11:26 AM
How to protect mens hair from swimming pool water or sea salt
I would like to post some hair care information on protecting mens hair from pool water and sea water. I use this hair care tips to protect my long hair but you can use it on any hair type or hair length that you have. For us long haired guys, well lets say that it is even worse to keep our hair healthy from the chlorine in the pool water or the salt in sea water getting into our hair strands!

Unfortunately, swimming pool water can be very harsh on the hair and your hairstyle. The chlorine used to break down bacteria can also strip your sebum and moisture from your healthy locks. This then leads to unhealthy damaged hair.

About chlorine

However, it does not have to be that way. If you are prepared for the water, then you do not have to worry about the effects of the chlorine. First, to understand how to stop the effects of chlorine, you should know how it works against your hair. Chlorine, like ammonia (in hair coloring) and other liquids, suffocates your hair. Your hair’s cuticle, comprised of layers of cells laid out in a "roof tile" format, opens up to compensate, in an attempt to breathe. This allows the chlorine to get deep into the cortex of your hair. Once it is in, it takes quite some time for it to evaporate. The properties of chlorine are drying by nature. So when your hair opens wide and takes this "big gulp", the chlorine really gets a chance to dry the hair from the inside out. Like all dryness, this leads to split ends and breakage.

Use a conditioner before the swimming pool

How do you stop the chlorine from getting into your hair? Well, that is easy enough. Moisturize your hair before jumping in the pool. You can use a conditioner (read the thread in the link for more info), or even better, quickly apply an oil treatment on your hair before entering the pool. Either conditioner or oil will coat the hair. Your hair opens wide for the conditioner or oil, adding to your hair's moisture. When the chlorine tries to get into your hair, there is no place for it to go. Thus, the chlorine can collect only on the outside of your hair, which can be easily washed off. If you do not have any conditioner or oil to use, then thoroughly wet your hair with some non-chlorinated water right before jumping in. It is not a protective as the conditioner or oil, but it will provide more protection than nothing at all.

Other things that you can do are wear a swimming cap, but this is difficult with long hair. Braiding (see the long hairstyles guide in the link for more info) or coiling your hair will also add protection, even if just on a management level. Still, at least wet your hair first.

Of course, once you are out of the pool, you must always thoroughly wash out your hair as soon as possible. Thoroughly wash with warm water, even if you do not have shampoo. Just let the water rinse out the chlorine. This will really limit the chlorine’s chances of drying out your lovely hair.

Remember you must protect your hair before jumping in. Once the chlorine touches your hair, it is too late. Then thoroughly wash out your hair immediately after leaving the pool.

About sea water

Salt water acts basically like chlorinated water. Its properties are different, but they do the same thing: remove moisture from the hair. Protect your hair from salt water in the same way as with chlorinated water.

Shampoos for swimming pools and sea water

Here in the forum there is a great thread about mens shampoos (see the link) and the experts here recommend several shampoos. The best type of shampoo to use to clean the chlorine or salt deposits from sea water is a deep cleansing shampoo. These shampoos are known as chelating or clarifying shampoos. For me I always use a chelating shampoo once a week if I go to the swimming pool twice or more per week. if I only go once per week to the swimming pool or sea, then I will use a clarifying shampoo.

A chelating shampoo is stronger than a clarifying shampoo so I will only use a chelating shampoo if I frequent a swimming pool or the sea a lot, like in summer. For other casual frequencies like once a week, a clarifying shampoo on a sunday cleans all the chlorine and chemicals from the sea water deposited on my hair strands and scalp.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Chelating and clarifying shampoo
Nice to see you here Long Mane! Awesome to have some long haired wisdom on the forum on top of the heavy hitters we already enjoy here at Men's Hair Forum. Thanks for linking out to the other hair care guides we have laying around, by the way. We have plenty of hair care and hair styles guides in the forum, but it's always good to have it all interlinked for the good of our forum members and visitors.

With regards to the shampoos for men are suited for swimming pool water and sea water, then, correct, a clarifying shampoo and/or a chelating shampoo will do fine. The same frequency you use is good to go too, although I tend to be a more conservative in terms of shampoo use when it comes to swimming pool water.

When it comes to swimming pool water, I will use a chelating shampoo once a week. The clarifying shampoo isn't strong enough (in most brands) to remove all chlorine sediments on the hair and scalp, so a chelating shampoo is in due order. I do know that due to you being a long haired male, you tend to prefer a lesser use of shampoo, but the guys in this board use a lot of hair products, and pool-water sediments and mens hair products just don't mix well! Big Grin

For those of you using a swimming pool, use a chelating shampoo once every 2 weeks on a normal shampooing day. If you go to the swimming pool very often (3 or more times per week), then up the frequency of the chelating shampoo once a week.

A great chelating shampoo is THIS chelating shampoo.

For those of you simply going to the beach at least once per week, then you can use a clarifying shampoo once a month. If your frequency is less (so less tha 4 days per month), just use a clarifying shampoo once per month.

An excellent clarifying shampoo is THIS one here.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-31-2014, 03:50 PM
RE: How to protect mens hair from swimming pool water or sea salt
Good information. Thankzz
11-19-2014, 07:51 AM
It's amazing how sea water can be so good for the skin yet so bad for the hair. There's nothing like a good dip in the ocean for a natural body cleanse. Even though rough on the hair, sea water can be very good for those with dandruff as it cleanses the scalp. But as mentioned, the benefits should be reaped while keeping the hair protected. Now you've got me wanting to take a trip to the beach.
11-25-2014, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 04:56 AM by AddyB.)
I'd like to tell you what my daughter does. She has curly shoulder length hair. She swims daily and sails most weekends.

Wets her hair thoroughly. Adds a little of her Pro Naturals Argan Oil and rubs it in her hair and places her hair under her swimming cap. She does this before sailing as well but she also adds a pull on hat over he swimming cap. This seems to keep her hair in very good condition and it is so simple to follow. Hope this helps you guys who swim and sail and have long hair!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Lightbulb What are your mens hair tips? Robert 4 1,917 03-21-2015 03:42 PM
Last Post: Pomadelover
  How to quit smoking tips for better mens hair health Sunset 3 1,885 02-27-2015 09:30 AM
Last Post: Vladimir
Tongue Mens hair tips for college guy? Machado 1 1,342 10-17-2014 01:21 PM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber
  Shampoo after swimming? B2stMode 8 3,179 07-21-2014 04:40 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum