Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make curly hair less curly and more wavy?
06-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Question How to make curly hair less curly and more wavy?
Wa'sup guys, I have a quick for anyone who wants to answer. How do I get type III or II hair without straighting it chemically? I have type IV hair whith some type III at the center of my head.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2013, 01:01 PM
RE: Question
probably Rogelio is the guy who is best to answer this but I think theres this product called relaxer, it's like the jheri curl as in the curly hair becomes less curly but I remember Rogelio saying it can be dangerous if used wrong as it can burn the hair.
06-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi,

If you want to loosen up your curls you can try a texturiser, which is what James was hinting to (a relaxer is stronger and only to straighten the curly hair). The texturizer is however a chemical product.

If you have short hair, it's very difficult and involves too much of your time to try and loosen up the curls: basically go lock by lock and pull the lock softly while coating them in hair gel. I f you have medium (+4 inches) or long length hair, you can go down one step in curl type (i.e. to a III from a IV) by weighting down the hair with a styling cream plus leave-in conditioner (apply leave-in first then coat with styling cream). Likewise, you can tie the hair into a tight braid (or several) then go to sleep, wake up and untie the braid/s, your curly hair will become wavier in appearance.

Last but not least, you could restructure the hair with a hair straightener and then a hair rod but that is a big pain in the derriere and not worth it (plus you need long hair and your hair will become brittle).

I suggest you try a styling cream plus leave-in conditioner or braids if you have more than 4 inches of length.

Best

You can get a styling cream here

and get a leave-in conditioner here

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-17-2013, 01:30 PM
A bit offtopic but i once tried a relaxer and it left my hair feeling all dried up, i shaved it all off a couple weeks later as it looked rpetty bad.
06-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Cool! I'll have to try the leave-in conditioner and the styling gel. Thanks!
06-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Yes, the leave-in + styling cream works a trick but like Rogelio said your hair need be long enough to be more or less hanging down at least at an angle (so four inches like he said).
And the braid trick works too but the hair need sot be long too.
06-18-2013, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013 09:22 AM by TRT93.)
Oh, I might have to use the texturerizer. My hair is only about an inch and a half right now. This is the first time my hair has been this short believe it or not. Growing up I had long hair 6inches+ and a texturerizer. I just got kind of tired of the texturizerizer. I want my hair kind of like Justin Timberlake. I'm lost...hahaha
06-18-2013, 05:40 PM
TRT93 then use a no lye texturizer as these types of texturizers are mild and don't damage the curly hair as much. You really only want to make the curls looser so no need to be going hardcore with the texturizer.

One option Rogeio has mentioned in the past is brushing your curly hair as that sort of breaks the curl pattern and makes it looser. The only problem is it can damage the curly hair too and it doesnt work as well. Ill let Rogelio comment on this.

For a "no lye" texturizer, get this one on Amazon as I know a couple of black girls they use it to go down in curl type and it makes their curls easier to handle.

Also hows your hair care?

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-18-2013, 10:24 PM
thats nice they have now texturizers with no lye, i dont use them but i have heard good things from some of the ladies in my family who use it to soften their curls.
OP can we see your curls? type IV is more like corbin bleu curls and type III more like justin timberlake curls if i remember reading right from rogelios guide.
06-20-2013, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2013 05:06 PM by TRT93.)
Sorry, what do you mean by hair care? How do I post a picture?
06-20-2013, 05:25 PM
By hair care I mean how do you deal with your curls daily and what you do to them, like shampoo, use conditioner, what hairstyle products you use... etc

To upload a picture, upload one to photobucket or any other image sharing site (imageshack is another one), then grab the direct URL of the picture once uploaded and click on the "insert image" icon on the bar above the text you are writing. If you don't have an account in photobucket, it is worth getting one, it's free and you register for it in 30 seconds! Or you can upload it without registering on the Imageshack site (google Imageshack, it's the first result).

If you're unsure, tell me. It's actually very easy once you get the hang of it Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-20-2013, 06:00 PM
I just wet my hair in the morning, shake out the water and then add gel and attempt to make it look presentable. xD shanpoo/conditioner well about every 4 days or so.
06-20-2013, 06:16 PM
[Image: IMG_20130620_170946-1_zps3f90edbf.jpg.html?o=0] it's normally not that bad I tried to comb my hair today with a fine tooth comb...xD
06-20-2013, 06:32 PM
[Image: ?action=view&current=IMG_2013062...b1a55e.jpg]
06-20-2013, 06:35 PM
combing curly hair with a fine tooth comb is a big NO, use a wide tooth comb instead Smile using a fine tooth comb is a sin for us curly guys Big Grin
06-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Image not showing up, grab the direct code for the image on photobucket TRT93, it should en in .jpg

06-20-2013, 06:50 PM
[Image: IMG_20130620_170946-1_zps3f90edbf.jpg]
06-20-2013, 07:13 PM
TRT93, next time you wan to post a picture use the same method of picking the full URL as I told you and then insert that full URL in the icon that has a sun and a mountain and that says "insert image" when you hover over it. The icon is above the text when you write.

OK, your hair. Classic Type IV as you rightly said. Curls look a bit dry. Like AfroJay mentioned, never use a fine tooth comb with your curls. Start styling with your fingers or use a wide tooth comb like this one or this other one.

How frequently do you shampoo??
Do you use a conditioner??
Leave in conditioner??
What hair products you use to style your hair??

06-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Shampoo: I'm trying to find my shampoo frequency I'm on 5 days now.

Conditioner: about every other day or so

As for styling still trying to find something. I have use gel, wax, or sometimes leave in conditioner results are all really the same.
06-21-2013, 06:47 PM
That's a good hair-grooming routine TRT93!

You mentioned using a fine-tooth comb; stop its use straightaway and, for now, only style with your fingers. Furthermore, stop the use of any hairstyling products (e.g. hair wax, pomades etc) and see where that takes you for two weeks. Then, add in a leave-in conditioner for two weeks and see what comes out from that. When you are in the shower on your non shampooing days, wet your hair and run the fingers through the curls, from the scalp to the tip so that you spread the sebum nicely.

You actually have very nice curls; what is your goal? Is it to keep that length, grow them a bit longer or grow them very long? How about your future hairstyle?

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good pomades to tame and straighten my crazy curly hair Salazar Mojo 1 325 10-18-2016 01:44 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Curly hair blow dry with brush to straighten it, Is it damaged? Ttas664 5 293 10-18-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: A Tall Guy
  Method to turn Curly hair into Wavy hair for Men - Hair Product Trick Bradley 2 14,059 09-28-2016 01:13 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  curly super dry bush type unshiny hair shau1203 0 272 08-09-2016 03:30 PM
Last Post: shau1203