Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to grow a fringe hairstyle with a cowlick on the front?
03-28-2015, 03:52 AM
How to grow a fringe hairstyle with a cowlick on the front?
Heyy guys, since i didnt get a reply on my last post i decided to create a new one. Any thoughts on how to grow a fringe if i have a vortex or whatever you call it on front? Thaaaaanks...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2015, 10:39 AM
RE: How to grow a fringe hairstyle with a cowlick on the front?
HI I think you're referring to a cowlick when you mention a vortex shape on your hair. I see a moderator edited the thread title as I'm pretty sure that's what you're talking to. I'm a barber so I get this question asked at times.

My main advice with a cowlick on the front and on how to grow a fringe is to go with the flow. Usually the cowlick is on either side of the head so just leave it on its own instead of fighting it. If you try to fight a cowlick you will end up with a bad hairstyle as the cowlick hair will remain up instead of styled in the direction of the fringe.

If you want to tame the cowlick, then it's best that you grow your hair long. By long I'm talking of at least six inches as that's when you can shape the cowlick in to a fringe and against its vortex shape. But if you have short hair, say between one to four inches, then you're just going to bang your hair against the wall when trying to style the cowlick. Let alone if trying to style the cowlick into a fringe hairstyle.

Some good hairstyles for cowlicks are the slicked back hair style and the side part. Those are the two main styles that I recommend to guys with cowlicks. What you do is you just follow the direction of the cowlick to comb the hair back or to the side. It's very easy and once you try to follow the direction of the cowlick to style into a side part or slick back you will see how the actual hairstyling becomes smooth and flows naturally.

If your interested have a look at the guides on the side part hairstyle (here) and the slick back hairstyle (here). Those guides are mega useful for those hairstyles, the best advice you can get online is on those guides and elsewhere on this forum.

If you're combing your hair in a side part, you will end up with your hair combed to the side at an angle. This is completely natural and is from the vortex shape. It also looks pretty cool as a hairstyle so long as you've followed the shape of the cowlick.

Cheers!
03-29-2015, 02:29 PM
RE: How to grow a fringe hairstyle with a cowlick on the front?
I also have a cowlick which coupled with my thick straight hair makes me pull my hair out of desperation to keep it styled. My cowlick is on the back and I agree that it's best not to fight the cowlick with short hair.

If you want to be able to style a cowlick, then hair length is your friend. For me it doesn't take a lot of length to be able to style the cowlick but it's impossible with short hair. It's like the hair on the cowlick is trained to go in one direction and you can't un-train the hair.

If only I could be the Cesar Millan of hairstyles for men...
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut hairstyle with longer sides to stop Asian hair from sticking out? pt3407 0 48 12-07-2016 05:52 AM
Last Post: pt3407
  New Hairstyle ideas Snoopfrancis 1 68 12-06-2016 07:28 PM
Last Post: Snoopfrancis
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 114 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 302 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98