Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to go from Top Knot to Man Bun hairstyle? Haircut advice
10-01-2015, 06:57 AM
How to go from Top Knot to Man Bun hairstyle? Haircut advice
I think the topic is saying most of it, I have a top knot with relatively long hair on the top (should probably trim it down a little) and I have not trimmed my sides for a few months (I think).

Now to my question, should I cut my hair on the top so it's just a little bit longer than the sides or should I just keep it long and just let the sides grow together with the top, or will that look really stupid? and I understand that my hair needs to be really long at my forehead but how about the back of my head? With my topknot, does the back need to be that long?

Right now all of my hair on the top is just as long as the hair on the back.. And if I shorten my hair on the back, won't that look really stupid when my full man bun is starting to form and grow?

Sorry for my English.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2015, 11:47 AM
To grow a man bun from a top knot, you will need to grow all the hair out or trim it!
Many guys who followed the top knot trend are coming to barbershops in a similar situation: they won't to grow a man bun (full bun) but the hair-length difference between the top and the sides (and the back) is too long.

As a rule of thumb, the hair-length difference between the hair on the top and the hair on the sides for a man bun should never exceed 2 inches. You can get away with up to 4 inches in length if you're going to have the hair on the top at 12 inches or more of hair length, but that's about as long as you can possibly get without the man bun looking awkward (and especially when you're wearing your hair down). Also, bear in mind that the minimum hair length for a man bun is 8 inches, while the minimum hair length for the top knot is 6 inches. Thus, you need to ensure that the hair on the sides and back of your head is at least 8 inches long, regardless of how much longer the hair on the top of your head is!

You have 2 options here to grow your top knot hairstyle into a man bun hairstyle:
  • Cut the the hair on the top of your head to match the length of the hair on the sides and back of your head. I am against this option since you will be cutting hair that equates time spent growing it. It really depends on how short the sides and back of your head are.

If we are talking of buzzed sides and back with your current topknot hairstyle, then I recommend that you avoid cutting the hair on the top. However, if the hair on the sides and back of your head is 4 inches long, then you could trim the hair on the top to 6 inches and you would have relatively-long hair that would have you sporting a full manbun in 6 to 8 months.
  • Continue to grow all of your hair without getting it trimmed. Wait until the sides and back of your head are at least 8 inches in length. You can continue growing the top too without trimming it so that you get used to wearing very-long hair, as you will quickly learn some tricks that come with having a long mane.

With the above said, you could, however, trim the hair on the top very 2 months if its current length is any length over 8 inches; that way, you'd just be waiting for the sides and back to catch up.
Unfortunately, these are the only 2 practical ways of growing a man bun from a top knot. That's why we always recommend in this forum to grow one's hair long with an even length all around the scalp. It's a common mistake to only grow the hair on the top to a long length while keeping the sides and back trimmed, and with the popularity of the topknot hairstyle, this has become a common issue seen at barbershops worldwide.

In any case, it looks like you already have long hair, even on the sides and back, so I would encourage you to keep growing all of your hair and then trim it (if you wish to) once the sides and back of your head have reached the minimum hair length for the man bun, which is 8 inches of hair length.

P.S. I've upgraded your account so that you can post and/or embed pictures of your hair so that you can give us a better idea of what's the current look that you're sporting. You can also post pictures of the kinds of man-bun styles that you'd like to have as a result of your hair-growing efforts.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 77 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Need Some Advice Camden 0 62 11-25-2016 06:15 PM
Last Post: Camden
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 273 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Haircut fix Pgreene431 1 191 10-28-2016 02:26 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo