Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get volume hair styles for men?
12-04-2014, 10:49 AM
How to get volume hair styles for men?
There are lots of hairstyle threads in the forum but I would like to ask how to get volume hair styles for men? The tricks that can be used to get more volume or hairstyling products in particular. I have read a lot on hair thickening products like shampoos and conditioners, plenty of reading stuff over at the hair product forum section.

Other than hair thickening products tho: are there other ways to get volume hair for us guys? Thanks for the help in advance Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2014, 01:24 PM
RE: How to get volume hair styles for men?
The first product to use would be a volumizing shampoo (aka thickening shampoo). Since you mention that you want to know other ways to give volume to your hair, then I will post below how to gain lots of hair volume for men.

To volumize my hair I wash my hair with a clear shampoo. The creamy shampoos have lots of wax in them that can weigh your hair down. A shampoo like the Suave shampoo will do fine (read this shampoo discussion for really good recommendations). As long as you can see through the shampoo, that's all fine. All shampoo does is clean your hair, but the waxy ones leaves wax behind on your hair for shine. The trouble is that wax weighs hair down and it looks flat. Then follow with a conditioner, if possible a thickening conditioner like the one from Paul Mitchell. Just condition from the middle till the ends of your hair. This is the best way to use a conditioner as you don't want it to get on your scalp.

A common mistake people make, and I use to make the same mistake is to brush your hair when it is wet. This pulls your hair out, so don't do that. Use a wide toothed comb and start at the ends and work up to prevent more hair loss. Don't worry if you do see some hair come out on your comb, because shedding is natural and you will grow those hairs back.

Before drying your hair, use a good root lifter. You can get a good root lifter from your hair dresser, from a beauty supply store or from good old Amazon (best place to buy hair products actually). If you don't want to spend much, you can get a good lifter from your drug store or Walmart. You can spend more or less for it. Since the root lifter really helps thin hair, just use the root lifter at the base of your hair shafts (close to the scalp) so the hair will stand up better. If your hair is fairly thick you can apply root lifter from the root to midway down your hair.

The next step for maximum volume hair is blow drying. Tilt your head down a little and blow dry your hair with the hair dryer lower than your hair (so you're shooting the air from the hair dryer up). As you're drying your hair with the hair dryer like I've mentioned, grab your favorite hairstyling product (hair gel, wax, pomade etc), coat your fingers with it and then run your fingers through your hair from the base (i.e. close to the scalp) to the ends of the hair. Basically you want to lift your hair up as you're blow drying it.

The above will really give you volume for your hair. Read the hair dryers discussion and the hair products discussion for good products to buy. Especially with the hair dryer, you really don't want to be too cheap, get a hair dryer that is at least 30 bucks to ensure that you're getting a decent one (browse through the linked hair dryers discussion to get the recommended ones).
02-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Mate if you want volume then your best friend will be a hair dryer. Hair dryers for men are great tools to get that volume that you just can't get any other way. Pro tip, any time that you see mens hairstyle pictures in places like mens health, or even in this forum, and you wonder how do those guys get all that hair volume. It's both a professional hair stylist doing the work and also using a hair dryer.

Women have been using hair dryers for decades to get much bigger hair. Not many men know of these trick so just by using a hair dryer you're way ahead of the competition. Read the link posted by sunset in his post about hair dryers. Lots of good advice in that thread on how to buy a good hair dryer.
02-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Would I be correct in that a volume side part hairstyle like Garreth Bale in some other photos on here - is similar to the disconnected undercut, but just not as disconnected??
02-17-2015, 01:11 PM
(02-17-2015 12:46 PM)SteveMcG Wrote:  Would I be correct in that a volume side part hairstyle like Garreth Bale in some other photos on here - is similar to the disconnected undercut, but just not as disconnected??

i think the guys agreed that Gareth Bale haircut was the undercut. So disconnected haircut is the same as the undercut. From what the barbers have said in this forum the undercut is less sharp than the disconnected haircut. What you say would then make sense as like you say Gareth bale haircut is not as disconnected as other undercuts that the guys have posted in the forum or at least that i have seen. The way i see it is that a disconnected haircut is more like the bowl haircut.
Side part is more to do with styling so you would call it a side part undercut. Maybe some of the barbers can chime in on that. The sidepart hair with volume is with a hair dryer and something like a wax or mousse. Looks great when done right. No doubt.
02-19-2015, 11:36 AM
(02-17-2015 12:46 PM)SteveMcG Wrote:  Would I be correct in that a volume side part hairstyle like Garreth Bale in some other photos on here - is similar to the disconnected undercut, but just not as disconnected??

Yes Gareth Bale's hairstyle is an undercut with a side part. Well he has a couple of different hairstyles lately considering that he now has that famous Alice band but I know which hairstyle you're talking about. Smooth undercut haircut lines.

Great hairstyle. But you need to have vertical temples and more of a square forehead to pull that hairstyle.
03-02-2015, 07:05 AM
(12-04-2014 01:24 PM)Sunset Wrote:  The first product to use would be a volumizing shampoo (aka thickening shampoo). Since you mention that you want to know other ways to give volume to your hair, then I will post below how to gain lots of hair volume for men.

To volumize my hair I wash my hair with a clear shampoo. The creamy shampoos have lots of wax in them that can weigh your hair down. A shampoo like the Suave shampoo will do fine (read this shampoo discussion for really good recommendations). As long as you can see through the shampoo, that's all fine. All shampoo does is clean your hair, but the waxy ones leaves wax behind on your hair for shine. The trouble is that wax weighs hair down and it looks flat. Then follow with a conditioner, if possible a thickening conditioner like the one from Paul Mitchell. Just condition from the middle till the ends of your hair. This is the best way to use a conditioner as you don't want it to get on your scalp.

A common mistake people make, and I use to make the same mistake is to brush your hair when it is wet. This pulls your hair out, so don't do that. Use a wide toothed comb and start at the ends and work up to prevent more hair loss. Don't worry if you do see some hair come out on your comb, because shedding is natural and you will grow those hairs back.

Before drying your hair, use a good root lifter. You can get a good root lifter from your hair dresser, from a beauty supply store or from good old Amazon (best place to buy hair products actually). If you don't want to spend much, you can get a good lifter from your drug store or Walmart. You can spend more or less for it. Since the root lifter really helps thin hair, just use the root lifter at the base of your hair shafts (close to the scalp) so the hair will stand up better. If your hair is fairly thick you can apply root lifter from the root to midway down your hair.

The next step for maximum volume hair is blow drying. Tilt your head down a little and blow dry your hair with the hair dryer lower than your hair (so you're shooting the air from the hair dryer up). As you're drying your hair with the hair dryer like I've mentioned, grab your favorite hairstyling product (hair gel, wax, pomade etc), coat your fingers with it and then run your fingers through your hair from the base (i.e. close to the scalp) to the ends of the hair. Basically you want to lift your hair up as you're blow drying it.

The above will really give you volume for your hair. Read the hair dryers discussion and the hair products discussion for good products to buy. Especially with the hair dryer, you really don't want to be too cheap, get a hair dryer that is at least 30 bucks to ensure that you're getting a decent one (browse through the linked hair dryers discussion to get the recommended ones).

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for that. Also thanks for the posts from all of you others.

So it comes down to using hairstyling products that lift the roots and that are made to thicken the hair. Use a lightweight shampoo, use a thickening conditioner and use a hair dryer.

I have seen the hair dryer method to thicken hair being recommended in the forum, and from the pictures I have seen it works very well. My main fear would be frying my hair with a hairdryer from using it too frequently. For that I know that there are special products to control the damage to the hair from the heat of the hair dryer.

Would you still say that using a hair dryer daily is Ok for mens hair?
03-02-2015, 11:56 AM
(03-02-2015 07:05 AM)Stevens Wrote:  Would you still say that using a hair dryer daily is Ok for mens hair?

If you're going to be using the hair dryer daily, then use a heat tamer on your hair just before blow drying. You don't even need to use the heat tamer everyday, something like thrice a week is enough if you're going to be blowdrying your hair daily.

If you're going to be using the hair dryer any less than daily then you can skip the heat tamer.
03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Just the post that I was looking for.

I have very fine, straight hair at about 6-6.5 inches right now.

I like switching up my hairstyle throughout the week (alternate between a tight slicked back undercut, loose slicked back undercut, undercut top knot, etc.), so naturally I'm interested in trying out new styles.

One of the styles I'm trying to do is just something with a ton of volume, but with my ultra fine hair and hair length, I'm having difficulty pulling off something I like.

I have the Paul Mitchell Thickening shampoo & conditioner in an attempt to well, thicken my hair. Have the TIGI Bed Head Matte wax and both the TIGI Hard Head and John Freda Luxurious Volume hair sprays at my disposal. Also have the KMS Freeshape spray which is also supposed to give some volume.

Overall just wondering what tips anyone might have for me. Just struggling a bit right now, most of the videos I've watched online feature guys with very dense and thick hair so after blowdrying their hair just sticks there; whereas my hair will pretty much will fall flat on the side of my head if I so much as tilt my head.
03-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Have you tried blowdrying your hair already? or you have only seen guys blowdrying their hair?

What you say is true with all videos on Youtube. When you see those hairstyles videos, they're showing guys with thick dense hair who can get away with any hairstyle so always proceed with caution with all those videos. The good thing about this forum is that the guys here - myself including - keep things real and no BS is allowed. The average guy isn't as gifted as all the pretty boys up there or the hipster models with the full beards that sometimes pop up in the threads here lol

So have you tried blowdrying already? also hairstyling mousse is great for gaining volume. You tried a hairstyling mousse before?
03-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Was just about to go back to my post and add that I do blowdry it- forgot to mention that vital part- I use the T3 Featherweight 2 as recommend on here.

I have not tried any mousse before, from reading the descriptions on here I got the impression that mousse seems to be a tool most useful for those with curly/kinky hair. What are some of the benefits that a mousse can do?

Thanks for the speedy reply.
03-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Use a hair shaper or styling mousse for more men's hair volume.
(03-05-2015 02:15 PM)crocks16 Wrote:  Was just about to go back to my post and add that I do blowdry it- forgot to mention that vital part- I use the T3 Featherweight 2 as recommend on here.

I have not tried any mousse before, from reading the descriptions on here I got the impression that mousse seems to be a tool most useful for those with curly/kinky hair. What are some of the benefits that a mousse can do?

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Styling mousse has two main uses for men's hair:
  1. It allows men with curly hair (wavy to kinky curly) to achieve better-shaped curls while keeping a good hold of the hair.
  2. It helps with achieving more natural volume as the styling mousse acts as an expander when used with a hair dryer.
You have a good selection of products already at your disposal. What you seem to be missing is a hair-thickening hairstyling product or perhaps that you have yet to get the groove of using a hair dryer to achieve more volume. For the record, you should point the hair dryer up at different angles to achieve hair volume. The hair dryer should be at about face height and pointed up towards the hair (the higher the angle, the higher the hair goes).

I will give you below two hairstyling product options that work to add a thicker-hair effect and volume to your hair. However, you should be able to achieve a good amount of volume with the current setup you have, including the T3 hair dryer you have as that's a really good hair dryer that avoids frizz (a good thing that most hair dryers don't do).

Here are 2 hairstyling products that will enhance your hair volume and thickness:
  • Check out THIS hair shaper which is a de facto styling wax with a matte finish.
  • Check out THIS styling mousse for a medium-shine look. It's a pretty good styling mousse and used (by plenty of women) to enhance their hair. As we've always said i this forum, if it works in women's hair, it will work on men's hair! Not to mention that this is one of the few hairstyling mousses that we recommend in the forum.
Either of the 2 hair thickening products above will be a good add-on to your current arsenal of hair products if you want to buy more products to get more of a hair-thickening effect. You can use both with or without a hair dryer.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Heart How Good Wedding Hair Styles Make You Look Smarter? hair-style 5 475 08-19-2016 12:25 AM
Last Post: Cloud
  How do I achieve this casual side part hairstyle with volume? Gary99 0 514 06-19-2016 09:48 AM
Last Post: Gary99
  Hair Styles for Short, Wavy Hair TimothyClayton 0 379 05-20-2016 06:40 AM
Last Post: TimothyClayton
  Longer slick back with more volume (undercut) w/ Pics imortal 0 625 05-01-2016 10:39 AM
Last Post: imortal