Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get thicker wavy hair with hairstyling products
09-23-2015, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 12:02 PM by Feven.)
How to get thicker wavy hair with hairstyling products
Hello there,
I have wavy, thin and dry hair. I thought the use of pomade would achieve a much better look, but then my hair looks kinda similar to this:

[Image: adrien_grenier.jpg]

You can see that there are several "thin lines" of hair, but I want to get hair which is much more "full" and with thick waves, like in this pic:

[Image: O1oByzB.jpg]

The products that I've tried:
Pomade (water based and original), Hair wax, Hair spray, and Gel.

What do you mean, how can I get my hair to look more similar to the second pic, with the help of which products?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Hair mousse, styling cream and a good conditioner is all you need for thicker waves.
Provided that you have healthy hair (i.e. you're not thinning due to male pattern baldness or disease) and provided that you've managed to find out your shampooing frequency (see this men's shampoo discussion for more on how to find the right shampooing frequency for your hair type), then you have three main men's hair products to use for thicker wavy curls:
  • Hair mousse
  • Hairstyling cream
  • Conditioner
Hair Mousse:

Hair mousse is to be used if you don't just want the clumping of the wavy curls (as seen in the second picture that you posted) but also if you want to achieve extra volume for your hair. If you have naturally voluminous hair, then hair mousse along will do the trick for more shapely, fuller wavier curls. On the other hand, if you don't have much volume, then use a hair dryer to blow dry your hair once you've coated your hair in hair mousse.

You can find a pretty good hair mousse products listed in our men's hair products guide (just browse down a little bit within the first post to see it listed), while you can also browse our men's hair dryers discussion for some great hair dryers for men ranging in all price points.

Owning a hair dryer is always a good thing as a dude since a hair dryer is a great hairstyling tool for men's hair and will make improve the aesthetics of just about every hairstyle that you try.

Hairstyling cream:

A hairstyling cream encourages the clumping of the wavy-shaped hair strands so as to form groups or "locks", which is what you're seeing in that picture. Hair mousse causes the same effect, but, with a good hairstyling cream, you're getting a natural and bouncier texture for your wavy curls. You will also get some extra natural shine to you hair, which helps a lot in creating the visual definition of your wavy locks.

You can get the hairstyling cream in our hair products guide (see the link above again) or you can get the styling cream recommended in this list of men's hair products for the hairstyles of Leonardo DiCaprio; it's the styling cream in the list that is recommended for the ever-so-famous curtains hairstyle of Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic (it works really well for wavy hair too).

A men's hair conditioner:

It goes without saying that a men's hair conditioner is among the best products to cause that clumping and definition of curly hair, including that of wavy hair. You want to be using a conditioner 2 to 3 times per week, as a conditioner will help you with taming the frizz and flyaway hair strands. In fact, flyaway hair strands and frizzy hair strands are what partially cause the lack of definition in thick wavy curls, so you want to keep the frizz and flyaway strands to a minimum (and hence the need to use a conditioner twice or thrice a week).

Again, see our recommended hair products for men (in the link) and get one of the two conditioners recommended at the top of the thread. As said, you want to use any of the recommended conditioners some 2 to 3 times per week, and you use a conditioner by simply coating your wet hair with it (e.g. while in the shower after wetting your hair) and leaving the conditioner on your hair (without rinsing) for 1 to 2 minutes as you go about the rest of your showering. Once the conditioner-application time is over (or once you've finished cleaning the rest of your body in the shower), you then easily rinse out the conditioner off your hair with the water from the shower bulb (this is done easily and in seconds).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-24-2015, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 04:29 AM by Feven.)
RE: How to get thicker wavy hair with hairstyling products
Really, many thanks for your detailed and very informative answer.
I will try that One 'n Only Argan Oil Styling Cream and try to use conditioner frequently.
I already knew that too much shampooing thins out the hair, due to that I only use shampoo ~ 2x a week, but the rest of the 5 days I am washing my hair with normal water.
09-24-2015, 04:44 AM
RE: How to get thicker wavy hair with hairstyling products
Additional Info:
That styling cream seems to be not available in Europe... So I'd have to pay a good amount of money to buy it from the U.S, that's way too much.

Moderator edit: actual specific price discussion is not allowed so as to respect the vendors' ever-changing promotional price campaigns! Smile
09-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Buy that same hairstyling cream from the following vendor of men's hair products.
Quote:Additional Info:
That styling cream seems to be not available in Europe... So I'd have to pay a good amount of money to buy it from the U.S, that's way too much.

You can get that same styling cream recommended above from THIS vendor here which ships from the UK to mainland Europe too, so, whether you're in the UK or in mainland Europe, you can still get that styling cream conveniently for an excellent price.

The problem with these styling creams is that they are hard to find at physical stores, especially in Europe. Here in the United States, you can still find a decent range of men's hair products at places like Walmart, but, by far, the best places to buy hair products for men is online and at online stores like Amazon. The vendor linked above carries that styling price for an excellent price that you would simply not find t any physical store, even if it's a specialized beauty (physical) store.

Hair products, whether for men or for women, are the types of goods that are best purchased online due to the much-varied range available online and also due to the better prices set by online stores due to lower overhead costs. We're always scouting the internet for good deals, and that one for that particular styling cream is pretty good. Hairstyling creams are among the priciest hair products for men, so buying a styling cream is the way to go if you'd rather save some money on such a useful type of men's product.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Looking for new products, requiring some advice (pics at the end) Magikarp_Approves 0 85 11-06-2016 04:05 PM
Last Post: Magikarp_Approves
  Mens Hair Products: Quick Useful 101 Guide The Hairstylist 2 317 10-26-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: A London Barber
Smile Are there good products to dye your beard orange? Duaov 1 159 09-16-2016 04:55 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  How to straighten wavy hair MPrince 0 238 08-20-2016 08:35 AM
Last Post: MPrince