Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get straight hair from curly hair for men - Options
03-24-2015, 07:52 PM
How to get straight hair from curly hair for men - Options
Hello everyone! I am a hispanic male who lives in NYC Manhattan. I have kinkyish curly wavy hair if that makes any sense lol

Ever since I was a little boy maybe 12, 30 now, i always wanted a hairstyle that my hair would not agree with. My hair is thin well I think it is because when i cut it down to a #1 ppl would say "you're going bald up here" lol it does look that way but then it grows and it looks like i have a full head of hair.

Story of my life I grow it, get frustrated and cut it for 5 months and repeat. So this is why i am here.

I have been doing an undercut everyday for work or sometimes i part it on the left and comb it to the side. (Im going for that beckham, timberlake look) My hair is 6 inches on top and 0 to 2 on the sides. I get amazing feed back at work and no one wants me to ever cut my hair again. But!! This style doesn't come with waking up an extra hour early, cursing and frustration.

Basically I wash my hair the night before (sometimes i am forced to do daily because i sweat during cycling) i wake up comb it to get rid of the knots, spray protection and flat iron. I then blow dry it because it helps keep the hair down at times. Sometimes I don't even put heat protection because the outcome seems worse. So then comes the pomade. I use American Crew Fiber( has no shineSad the one with shine tends to give me frizz) because the others haven't worked too well. Very rarely do I apply it and it's perfect and I am ready to go! Maybe once every 2 weeks? Most of the time i fight with it. I brush an comb till its all perfect but once I get to work I have to re style it every couple of hours, and God forbid if there's any wind.

So my first thoughts to end this war every morning and get some sleep back was chemically relaxing. I walked around to different Hair Salons in NYC and you would think in a place like downtown Manhattan I would get better answers. But no. I got weird looks like what are you saying, or yes we can do it but relaxing cost $400+

Please help me! I want to keep my hairstyle, I love it but geez.

I would love to post pictures and show you all before and afters but I don't think I can?

Thank you everyone!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2015, 10:03 AM
Is your hair straight or curly?
Can you please tell us if your hair is currently straightened (either relaxed or flat ironed) or if it's in its natural curly state?

Can you also let us know if the hairstyle goal that you have involves straight hair or your naturally curly hair?

Don't worry, there are solutions you can go through! Smile

By the way, I quickly edited your post to insert extra spaces between paragraphs so your post is easier to read as it was a bit difficult to read without the spaces. Nothing wrong with not using extra spaces when writing and we have many members who do so, but when writing really-long text blocks, please try to use an extra space so it's easier on the eye Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-25-2015, 10:15 AM
RE: A bit frustrated:(
Thank you for that! It's just that when i was typing on my phone everything looks lengthy! Haha

So my hair is curly and I want it to be straight without having to spend an hour or more every morning using a flat iron. I have pictures of what i want and what my hair looks like before and after.
Sometimes I achieve what I want but then my hair take a diff form during the day Sad
03-25-2015, 10:49 AM
There are several options to try for straightening your curly hair as a guy.
Oh, right! Then it totally makes sense since typing on a mobile phone is different to desktop. We have a lot of people visiting this forum on cell phones and tablets, and I know that typing isn't as smooth as on desktop Smile We actually upgraded the forum about 6 weeks ago so that you guys could have your browsing experience easier, but typing on a phone isn't super smooth whether you're sending a message, typing on WhatsApp or replying on a forum!

Anyway, back to the topic. So you want to have straight hair. If possible, try to post pictures when you reply of both your current hair and the hairstyle that you want to achieve. I've just upgraded your account so that you can post images. Simply embed them from free hosting sites like imgur.com and the likes.

To have straight hair from curly hair, you have different options:
  • Use a flat iron: using a hair straightener (i.e. a flat iron) takes time over the week if you're doing it every day. One thing you can do to not have to straighten your every day is not wet your hair during the day, whether it is during showering or going to the beach. The main factor causing your hair to go back to its curly shape is water/moisture, so you want to avoid that. You can buy a water-proof cap to use in the shower so that you can clean your body but keep your hair dry. You can do this for about 2 to 3 days, before your hair begins to curl on its own from the moisture in the air.
  • Have a Brazilian blowout: a Brazilian blowout straightens your hair while minimizing the damage. The hair is kept straight for about 3 to 6 months, then it goes back to its usual natural shape. I highly recommend that you do your first Brazilian blowout on a hair salon, then you can do it yourself with your hair straightener and a special product. When you want to do this (i.e. do your own Brazilian blowout), start a new thread in the Hair Products section and we will recommend you hair products for the Brazilian blowout.
  • Use a hair relaxer: a hair relaxer will straighten your hair permanently, but it will damage the hair to an extent that you have to be careful with your straight-haired hairstyles. It's still a very feasible option and millions of African-American women and women with curly hair use hair relaxers with great results, but just be aware that you must not pull your hair hard or use heat (e.g. from a hair dryer) without a heat-protecting product. I also recommend that you first get your hair relaxed in a hair salon.
  • Use a hair texturizer: a hair texturizer will make your curls looser so that your hair becomes wavy and easier to style. Unlike the hair relaxer that straightens your hair bone-straight, a texturizer just makes your hair wavy. I mention this option as this may be something you'd like as it's less harsh than a hair relaxer and will still make your hair easier to style and comb, as well as make it less curly. If you want to use a good hair texturizer, you can go with THIS one here which is very easy to apply and is also very cheap. If you're going to use that hair texturizer in the link I've just posted, then also get THIS hair detangler to use after using the hair texturizer and which you can use as your only hairstyling product if you want to rock natural-looking waves.
Also, from what I can read from your post, you really need to work on your hair care. Using a hair straightener daily or almost on a daily basis is very harsh on your hair and you must use a heat-protecting product with such high-frequency of hair straightener use!

Heat-protecting products aren't expensive and you can get them very cheap from online stores. We highly recommend THIS heat-protecting product for hair straightener use, and it will do you a lot of good to start using that heat-protecting product in the link as soon as possible.

Simply spray some of the heat-protecting product (in the link above) into your hair so that your hair is lightly coated on it and then start straightening your hair with your hair straightener. Of possible, buy more than one bottle so that you don't have to re-order it and that way you have many months worth of heat-protecting use!

Again, post any pictures you have and let us know which hair-straightening option you'd like to pursue.

Lastly, if you haven't already, get The Men's Hair Book as soon as possible (see it in the link). That book is your men's hair encyclopedia to read at any time and there's lots of hair care advice. Think of that book as a summarized version of all the advice you could ever get on your hair in your lifetime! You can get it through Amazon on that link I've posted and it isn't expensive at all. While the book is not related to this forum, we highly recommend it as a must-read hair product, so it's worth adding to your shopping cart if you're going to be getting either the hair texturizer or heat-protecting product! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Thank you so much for all that info Smile So how long Should your hair be for a Brazilian Blowout or a Relaxer?

This is my goal!
[Image: OmTI9hR.jpg]

This is what my hair looks like after a shower
[Image: 0XHceVm.jpg]

This the length (about 6 inches)
[Image: Tt0Vlky.jpg]

This is after I flat Iron it
[Image: JTsBkIl.jpg]

This after I apply American Crew Fiber Pomade although I just ordered Suavesito
[Image: taxdKDW.jpg]

So tired of this process every morning lol
03-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Here are the hair straightening options available.
I see now, thanks for posting those pictures.

Let me first say that curly hair that has been straightened will always have a "different" texture and look to naturally straight hair. This is from the innate structure of curly hair (building blocks are laid differently). This is especially so with hair straighteners and a Brazilian blowout can help with improving the texture as they use keratin to patch the surface (like you see done on a hole on the road).

Technically, you can get a Brazilian blowout as soon as you can straighten your hair, for that is what they'll be doing. However, I would rather you got your hair as long as to your nose before considering it. This is mainly because you will not be seeing a lot of results with your current hair length. Perhaps it's me, but your current hair length looks shorter than 6 inches. Usually hair that reaches the eyebrows (as in your picture) is 3-4 inches long, have you used a ruler to measure it? Smile I'm not doubting your claim but it's usually 3-4 inches if the hair reaches the eyebrows, and it's usually 6 inches when it's at about eye to nose level.

Even if it were 6 inches to your eyebrows, I'd still like to see some more hair length gauging from the pictures with your straightened hair. You want enough hair length that your hair moves on your head naturally (which is what Beckham has in the hairstyling picture you posted, but Beckham has naturally-straight hair, so he has it easier).

What I'd do is continue with the hair straightener but using the heat-protecting product that you saw in the link (it's cheap and you can get it the next day at Manhattan, if not in less than 3 days). Give yourself one month and then find a specialized hair salon that does Brazilian blowouts. It can also go by the name of keratin hair straightening or Japanese blowout (sometimes the technique varies, always ask them exactly what they will be doing).

Tell the hair salon that you want a permanent "straight hair" solution and if they can do "keratin-based" hair straightening (i.e. Brazilian blowout). From there, they will tell you.

The other option is getting now a hair texturizer. I really don't like the hair relaxer option because it will make your hair very fragile if not done correctly. You will also have to u a lot of hair care products with a hair relaxer, which will create time inconvenience from you and this is what you want to avoid.

I would instead try the hair texturizer I posted in the link. It's cheap and will create way less damage in your hair. It will not straighten it, but it will make it less curly and smoother to style. You will be able to recreate a similar modrn slick back to David Beckham, but it will have more volume, which is a good thing if you're worried about what ladies like (women love hair volume on a man, if the hair is taken care of, that is!).

You can always relax your hair if you see that you aren't happy with the hair texturizer. However, you cannot do the opposite as both options are permanent and you cannot make hair less straight once it has been straightens.

So, to recap:
  • Continue using the hair straightener for a month or two, but use the heat-protecting product I've recommended. You will have added enough length in 4 to 8 weeks to make the expensive Brazilian blowout worth it.
  • Try the hair texturizer first, wait for a week or two and go through the motions. If you don't like it, then go to a hair salon and have your hair relaxed.
In any case, you can certainly drop all that time you're investing in the morning! Smile

One question though, are you using a conditioner regularly?

03-25-2015, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2015 01:52 PM by Itsmelook.)
(03-25-2015 12:59 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  One question though, are you using a conditioner regularly?

Wow this everything I needed to know! You're like the hair God! lol

I do condition regularly. I also feel like I may have damaged my hair a bit maybe I am wrong but can I use for treatment?

Also before I order the hair texturizer, IS that something I can use and then flat iron it?
03-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Hair care is very important when using a hair straghtener or relaxing your hair!
No, do not use a hair straightener on texturized hair! That will burn it through in the most-likely scenario. The texturizer I recommended isn't very harsh, but you're still modifying your hair.

From your first post you mentioned that you used your hair straightener regularly and without a heat-protecting product, and this causes irreparable damage, unfortunately. In fact, I can see some damage from the pictures themselves. That's why, if you go through our forum content, you will see that our staff always recommends using a heat-protecting product if using hair straighteners on a daily basis or close to it.

Don't feel bad about yourself, though. This is something that all guys using hair straighteners do (i.e. use the flat iron without heat protecting). Well, that's before they read this forum as we emphasize hair care over short term aesthetics (as hair care will ensure that you have great hair aesthetics over the many years)! The Men's Hair Book also goes through all of this, so it's not just us forum staff pestering people about making sure to protect their hair prior to hair straightener use LOL People who have been in the trenches (e.g. Rogelio Samson from The Men's Hair Book or any good hairdresser or good barber) will always tell you to protect your hair.

Now, a good conditioner will help you to temporarily repair your hair and make it look glossy and full. However, this benefit wears away the moment that the conditioner wears away (i.e. when you shampoo or wet your hair heavily such as when going to a swimming pool). Thus, using a good conditioner is always great, but be aware that any damage that you've done cannot be repaired permanently, hence why we are so hardcore about hair care as any damage you create on your hair cannot be undone! Smile

Since you're already using a conditioner, you may benefit from a hair mask. What hair masks do is give you a more potent dose of conditioning effect, which will last you through some shampoos on most cases (especially if you're only shampooing every couple of days as we recommend in this forum for men).

Hair masks are a bit more expensive than regular shampoos, although a good one with a great price is THIS one in this link. You use that hair mask anywhere from one month to once a week, and not need to use a lot of it. I would recommend that you use it once a week for the first 2 weeks and then you use it once every 2 weeks for 4 weeks, and then stay there for once a month. You can use the hair mask in the link for texturized, relaxed or blowout hair (i.e. Brazilian blowout straightened), so it's a great hair conditioning product that isn't that expensive if you look at it from how long it will last you.

Use the hair mask in the link above for about 20 minutes on your hair, although if you're just killing time when you use it, you can go even to 30 minutes with the product on. You then rise it and you're ready to rock with super smooth, full and glossy hair! You will apply that hair mask right after shampooing, and you can do it on a day like a Sunday morning when you're just lounging or chilling.

Nah, I'm not a hair god, but thanks for the compliment! Smile We've focused this website on bringing some of the best people possible on the topic of men's hair as well as some great advisers on board to help you guys out, not to mention our awesome forum-member community that we have from guys beginning to learn about their hair to guys with experience to guys who want to share their ideas and results. It's all of you guys that make this forum the best (in my humble opinion) website online for anything to do with men's hair, facial hair and grooming. This site is still young, so we have plenty to contribute to the worldwide web!

Let us know with what you decide to do and how you're faring, and, if you're up for it, open a thread in the Blogging section of the forum and post pictures of how your hair starts to look and what not! Smile You can ask for feedback and advice in those threads too. Lots of people read these threads seeking inspiration and advice, and forum members interact too so as to exchange tips, advice and ideas.

03-25-2015, 06:48 PM
So i went outside and bought it! Wow so many great reviews on amazon!
[Image: 8GvyVV5.jpg]

So can i do this now before going to bed since i am going to shampoo or in the morning before the flat ironing process?
03-26-2015, 02:09 AM
Use a deep conditioner ideally in the morning.
You can use it before going to bed, but allow yourself some 2 hours before going to bed (remember you will be using it for about 20 to 30 minutes). Ideally, it's better to use it in the morning so you give plenty of time for your hair to air dry naturally and so that you enjoy the effect you'll get.

Make sure you don't go to bed with your hair wet.

03-26-2015, 12:07 PM
RE: How to get straight hair from curly hair for men - Options
I agree with admin that your pretty tie to those options if you want to stop flat ironing your curly hair. As a barber myself I would suggest you try the least damaging option which would be use a good hair mask or deep conditioner like I think you got if I read you right, then you also try the texturizer admin mentioned which looks like a fairly easy one on the hair but will soften your cups, think of it like going from your hair type to wavy hair. You can still do Beckhams slick back hairstyle with wavy hair.

If no go with the keratin treatment in a hair salon, they call it a brazilian blowout in hair salons tho it will depend where you live. Just say keratin hair straightening... they will know what you mean lol
Cheers!
03-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys! I bought the hair mask last night and I have to say the difference is night and day! I feel as if my hair is alive again. It cut over 20 minutes of work this morning. This is amazing thank you so much!

I think eventually I will get it straightened but I will wait.
My hair look awesome today thank you so much
03-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Awesome to hear mate! Smile

I agree with waiting, good move. You know that if you like the result you just got with the hair mask, you could really like what you would get with less curly hair but not completely straight. So basically with the texturizer and using the hair mask like say once a week. Just thinking out loud mate because since many guys like to have wavy hair, so not too straight and not too curly. You have the volume and you have the ease of styling.

I also agree with you about admin on how that old geezer is a hair god but more like a 'wtf doesn't this guy know' kind of god, sometimes he knows way too much he begins to sound creepy lol all the barbers in our barbershop are a big fan of him and those guys are tattooed civilised hooligans who are only fans of their football club so I'm baffled! Big Grin
04-13-2015, 11:36 AM
So I did a bad thing Sad I did not listen but I love it!
I had it relaxed. So it now saves me at least 40 minutes of doing my hair each morning which is what I wanted. Sometimes I wake up and all I have to do is pass my fingers through and i'm good to go lol But now what? how do I maintain it? do I use special Shampoo and Conditioner? When do I relax again?

[Image: ue6oUhZ.jpg]
04-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Great job mate! You got your hair relaxed properly as it has maintained a natural look more than the brittle uneven look that badly relaxed hair has.

It isn't so much of the worst choice you could have mate. That's not what the guys or I were referring to. It's simply that relaxing the hair makes the hair weaker so you have to take more care of it as otherwise you will ruin your hair. Like I said some hairdressers will overdo the relaxer but you got a nice one done so you got that going in your favour!

What I would suggest is that you stick to the plan laid out in this post. Use a conditioner say three times per week and the hair mask that you bought once every two weeks.

Use your fingers to style or a wide tooth comb. Don't use a fine tooth comb because that will pull too much on your relaxed hair and you will risk breaking the hair. Your hair is weaker so you must pay more attention than otherwise when it coms to your hair care. In a way that's good anyhow as even with natural hair it's still important to have good hair care habits.

If you aren't already doing this then shampoo only two to three times per week. Always follow the shampoo with a normal conditioner. Check out this shampoo and conditioner thread for the best shampoo and conditioner recommendations for men.

As for styling go with a hairstyling wax, pomade or mousse. Go to the recommended hair products thread (see the link) and choose one product of each. You will see that each of the types of products (wax/pomade/mousse) in that thread have at least one recommended product, so pick one wax, one pomade and one styling mousse from what's listed under each product in the first post.

You got a nice job done and you look very happy with it and that's what matters at the end of the day! Smile
04-14-2015, 11:14 AM
how did you get it that straight? still with a straightener?
04-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Thank you so much guys I really love how it came out and am treating it as best as I can.

Samcro so prior to this picture all I did was shampoo, air dry and applied American Crew Fiber Pomade. This picture is 2 days later after waking up to messy hair i passed my fingers through and this was the result.
04-14-2015, 12:47 PM
(04-14-2015 11:14 AM)SAMCRO Wrote:  how did you get it that straight? still with a straightener?

No he used a chemical product that you can either buy or get it done in the hair salon. It's called a relaxer because it makes curly hair flatter and look almost straight or even fully straight if you leave it on the hair long enough. It's a very popular hair straightening product with black women to make their really curly hair turn into straight hair. Once you relax your hair there's no need to keep using a flat iron as the straightening of the hair is permanent.

If you're going to be relaxing your hair for the 1st time it's best to go to a hair salon. If you want to make our hair less curly, make it a blend between wavy and straight then you can use another product called a hair texturizer. The effect of a texturizer is also permanent and it is less damaging to the hair especially the good ones. While your hair will not turn completely straight, it will become half straight and half wavy and be much easier to manage with the texturizer. You apply the texturizer to your hair once and it gives you the permanent effect. Same with a relaxer, as in you only apply it once and the effect is permanent.

Texturizers have been discussed in this forum and they're very cheap to buy if you get the good ones. Just use the forum's search function above and search for the word 'texturizer' (without the quotation marks). You will get threads discussing the products and what the mods have suggested as texturizers that are good to use for men's hair. Be careful and don't choose the cheapest of all as there are some really crappy ones that can burn your hair. Go with the ones the mods recommended.

The problem with a hair relaxer is that it weakens the hair structure so you have to be more careful with your hair. But the work he got done with the relaxer is good and it's fine if this is your first relaxer. When the hair really starts to break is when you have used a relaxer a couple of times on the same hair. This only happens when you're growing your hair longer tho so you're safe if you're just maintaining your length.

I agree with Bradley. Use a conditioner almost every day. A conditioner is your best ally right now because it doesn't just make your hair look prettier but it also protects your hair. I see you bought a hair mask too so use that like Bradley said. You can even use the hair mask once a week if you want and if you can afford it.

Use a wide toothed comb. See this thread for suggestions of good wide toothed combs that you can buy. Do not just use a regular comb as you will damage your hair. You have left a bit of a wave on your hair which gives volume to your hair, good idea. But the only drawback is that it will make your hair prone to pulling it with a regular comb. This is why it's best for you to buy a good wide tooth comb and use it to style your hair. Read the thread in the link as you will read everything you need to know about wide tooth combs.

You can also use you fingers to style. It's also a good styling option. For hair products it's what Bradley said too. Pomade if you want to make your hair flat. A styling mousse if you want to give volume to your hair. A styling wax if you want to give body to your hair and shape it. See the sticky thread on hair products for men as all the recommended products for each category have been posted and linked in that sticky thread.
04-14-2015, 02:24 PM
By permanent you mean that it even stays straight after showers? Since you say that overusing it may cause breakage, which is better in the long term: a flat iron or a relaxer?
04-15-2015, 05:12 PM
My friend just embrace what nature has given you. Just care for curly hair and style it as such, trust me such hair rocks too bro
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Haircut to turn curly hair into wavy hair? PinkChili 0 173 10-02-2016 03:57 AM
Last Post: PinkChili
  Help Determining Hair Type and with Growing Hair Out seanpaulsartre 0 195 08-12-2016 06:02 PM
Last Post: seanpaulsartre
  Straight thin hairstyle ideas Pickle 1 574 07-20-2016 06:12 AM
Last Post: hair-style
  Hair Styles for Short, Wavy Hair TimothyClayton 0 381 05-20-2016 06:40 AM
Last Post: TimothyClayton