Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to get straight hair for men - Guide on the 5 methods
10-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Thumbs Up How to get straight hair for men - Guide on the 5 methods
Here is a guide on the 5 methods to get straight hair for men. I will go through how to straighten hair, as well as what results to expect from each hair straightening treatment.

It is only normal that so many guys who have naturally curly hair always seem to want straight hair, yet they just can't seem to get it poker straight. Straight hair is easier to style so it also provides a convenience factor, making straight hair a desirable hair type to have.

Let's go through how to straighten hair, as well as the methods to use as a dude. These are the available hair straightening methods for men:
  • Hair straightener.
  • Hair straightener plus hair dryer.
  • Brazilian blowout.
  • Hair relaxer.
  • Japanese hair straightening treatment.
  • Potato starch.

Hair straightener plus hair dryer method

The most popular way of straightening your hair is of course the blow-dryer and hair straightener technique. First the person will apply a conditioner with silicones to their wet hair. Then blow-dry it while using a big round bristle brush. After the hair is completely dry apply some more conditioner or hair serum followed by the hair straightener aka flat iron.

You can also skip the hair dryer and simply apply some heat tamer to your hair (usually comes as a spray) and then use the hair straightener straightaway. This is a method that many people use in this forum and it works very well if you have a good flat iron. You can read this hair straighteners thread for advice on buying a good hair straightener for men.

The two methods above with the hair straightener work great, but they can be a bit time consuming, especially if you have long hair. What other ways can you straighten your hair?

The other 4 hair straightening methods for men

If you are the type of person who has no patience when it comes to your hair, your best option is then to get the Brazilian blowout, use a hair relaxer, get a Japanese hair straightening treatment, or use potatoes. Yes, I did say potatoes. Believe it or not potatoes work great as a fever reducer, face mask, gets rid of eye puffiness, and straightens your hair. The first three straightening methods mentioned are quite pricey and they do have some disadvantages. For instance the Brazilian blowout method will run you anywhere from $175-$575 and the results do not last long for the price.

Brazilian blowout method

When you go to a salon to get a Brazilian blowout to straighten your hair, your stylist will apply a product with a keratin formula, which contains proteins for your hair. Then he or she will blow dry your hair with the keratin product applied to your hair, then take a hair straightener and straighten your hair while the keratin product is working on your hair to seal it. The keratin product is supposed to go into a crystallized formation on your hair. This is how your hair will get straight, but certain formulas do contain formaldehyde which can be harmful. So to be on the safe side, ask your hairstylist for a formaldehyde-free treatment. They do exist for the Brazilian hair treatment. Results will vary, but this method should keep your hair straight for at least 2-3 months.

After you get the Brazilian blowout treatment, do not wash your hair for 4 days. The stylist will tell you 3 days, but from what I have experienced and heard from others go with the 4 days. On a scale of 1-10 for the results of this Brazilian treatment to make your hair straight I give it an 9 for results and 5 for safety, unless you get a non-formaldehyde treatment. Then I would give it a 9 and a half!

Hair relaxer method

The hair relaxer treatment is the least expensive, but it is not recommended for all hair types. If you have fine thin hair or over processed hair from coloring, then I do not suggest this method for you. The ingredients in the relaxer will dry your hair out, cause hair breakage on some, and your hair will not be shiny. If you have a good healthy head of hair you may get the relaxer done, but expect to pay around $50-$250 at a salon or $15-$20 to do at home.

The hair relaxer will last on your hair forever, keeping your hair straight at all times. Well, not really "forever" as it all depends how quickly your roots grow in. When your roots grow in do not expect the roots to be straight. They will be curly or wavy once again. To me this method causes more damage than the Brazilian blowout or Japanese treatment, unless your hair is in tip top shape. I give this treatment a 7 for results, but a 4 for safety on your hair.

Japanese hair straightening method

The Japanese hair straightening method is the most expensive, but it is also the most permanent way of getting your locks of curls straightened. This process will cost you up to 600 bucks, depending on the length of your hair and where you go, although for us guys the price is much lower. For the Japanese straightening treatment, your stylist will apply a protein bond and a chemical neutralizer on your hair. Then a certain iron is applied to the hair piece by piece, which can take a couple of hours depending on the length. Now it's rinsed, blow-dried, and possible ironed again. This whole process can actually take up to 8 hours to get your hair straight if you have very long hair as a guy. Don't worry though as for most guys, it takes much less time.

The results from a Japanese hair straightening treatment are actually very nice. Your hair will be shiny, straight, and will last 6-9 months. If your roots grow slow, this treatment can last you a full year. After you get this process done you can not get your hair wet for at least 2 days. This means if you are going to take a bath or shower wear a cap to protect your hair. Also if it rains try not to get wet a little rain drop can ruin this procedure. I give this treatment a 10 for results, and a 10 for safety. This does carry a hefty price, but in the end it's all worth it to some.

Potato starch method

Now let's talk about how potatoes can straighten your hair. If you are looking for a safe way to straighten your hair potatoes can be the answer for you. This process is very easy, no harsh chemicals, and will allow your hair to remain straight for at least 3 days at a shot, unless you wash your hair every day.

For this process you need to puree a few potatoes until they are pure liquid. Make sure the potatoes are washed, peeled, and cut before you puree them. Then add 1 ½ cups of water into a bowl with the potatoes. Once you have the potatoes liquefied place into an empty shampoo bottle. Pour this mixture over your entire head. Make sure to saturate the hair enough. Once your hair is fully saturated, take a wide tooth comb and comb your hair for 15 minutes straight. Do make sure your hair is shampooed and conditioned before you apply the potato mixture. Let your hair dry naturally. The starch in the potatoes will cause your hair to be straight, but with a very stiff kind of feeling.

The hairstyles that suit a potato starch straightening method include slicked back hairstyles and side swept hairstyles. If you have long hair, you can also go for a man bun or ponytail. So if those are the hairstyles that you want to be achieve without chemicals, then the potato starch straightening can work for you.

Do remember that your hair will feel a little stiff with the potato starch, but it will be straight for that day. If you can't stand the feeling add a a leave-in conditioner with silicones or a hair serum to your hair to improve the textured achieved by the potato starch while maintaining the hair straightening results.

If you have any questions or more advice, please post it all below so we have a comprehensive guide on how to straighten hair for men! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2015, 01:56 PM
RE: How to get straight hair for men - Guide on the 5 methods
This is such a great guide on curly hair to straight hair! I was aware of all those methods from reading them in the forum and elsewhere but I seriously didn't know the potato starch method to straighten hair. But it makes sense since potato starch is used to straighten and stiffen up other stuff like shirt collars and whatnot.

Awesome idea with the potato starch though and I may very well use it to create some hairstyle layers instead of using my flat iron. I don't need to practically straighten my hair but I instead use the extra hair straightening oomph to crete different layers in my messy hair styles.

I also get confused with the difference between a Brazilian blowout and a Japanese blowout. I thought they were both the same method, you know with hair salons using a different country to represent the same hair straightening method. For example I've seen hot oil treatments being called Icelandic hair masks! Big Grin

It now makes sense after reading what you've posted on the difference between the Brazilian and Japanese hair straightening methods. At the end of the day both treatments achieve the same hair straightening effect only that the Japanese hair straightener method lasts a lot longer than the Brazilian hair straightening method. No wonder it costs a lot more. For that amount of money you can get a lot of hair relaxers and relax your hair at home. Then the Japanese blowout makes your hair less brittle than the hair relaxer method so it really comes down to price versus results.

There was a thread recently where one of the forum members got his hair relaxed and the results were quite good. He posted pictures of his curly hair before getting the relaxer and after getting the hair relaxer, and some of the forum barbers posted their advice on how to go about getting a hair relaxer and also what hair products to use for relaxed hair on guys.

This is the whole thread of the forum member who got his hair relaxed if anyone is interested in reading all the advice and seeing what it all looked like:
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...en-Options

Thanks for taking the time to post this guide with detailed explanations on the different times of hair straightening methods for men. I already knew a bit about these methods and I found this guide very useful so I can only imagine how extremely useful this guide will be to any guy who is looking to get his curly hair straight but has never even heard of what a flat iron is!
05-22-2015, 04:41 PM
RE: How to get straight hair for men - Guide on the 5 methods
Thank you for this post man! Just one question. Every time you say "don't wash your hair", do you mean washing it with shampoos and such? I'm considering getting the Brazilian treatment someday, so I'm just wondering if I can still wash most of the dirt off my hair using water only during that 4 day post-treatment period.
05-26-2015, 07:56 AM
You can use water to clean your hair without a shampoo for a Brazilian treatment.
(05-22-2015 04:41 PM)tommiyeah Wrote:  Thank you for this post man! Just one question. Every time you say "don't wash your hair", do you mean washing it with shampoos and such? I'm considering getting the Brazilian treatment someday, so I'm just wondering if I can still wash most of the dirt off my hair using water only during that 4 day post-treatment period.

Yes, water is enough to remove the mild dirt (if any) that accumulates over 4 days. The same goes for most hair product residue, unless you're using a heavy pomade, wax or gel (usually the pomades, waxes and gels with the strongest hold leave the most hard-to-remove residue).

You can shampoo your hair after 4 days and then repeat the cycle. The Brazilian treatment is permanent for as long as it lasts, so using a shampoo to clean your hair will not affect your straightened hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Types of Hair Extensions and Hairpieces for Men Guide The Hairstylist 2 1,390 10-10-2015 08:51 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
  How to turn Curly hair into Straight hair? Straightening tips joserijo 1 1,246 09-25-2015 11:30 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum