Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to get rid of cowlick
10-05-2013, 03:25 PM
How to get rid of cowlick
Quick question, One side of my hair wants to part on its own, this never happened to me, never had a side that wanted to part. I believe it started around three weeks ago when I wore caps from time to time. What could I do to get it back to normal. It is only really visible when you look at my hair from the top. Here is a pic. (I believe this is called a cowlick) It's at my right eye, so it's to the left when looking at the pic.

[Image: 2j465uv.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 03:39 PM
RE: How to get rid of cowlick
Hi mate, if I understand correct from your post you're talking of the hair right in the temple line so at about the external side of the eyebrow, am I correct? or are you talking of the locks almost in the centre of the forehead that are curving to your right?
Cowlicks usually occur in the crown -- back of the head's top -- tho Ive seen some cases of cowlicks happening in the forehead hairline too.
Can you tell us, what was the inital styling direction you chose? is it backwards in a horizontal line or is is in and angled or tilted line?
I can see you chose an angled line with the hair on your left side while the centre followed the line but then curled to the opposite side. The hair on your right side seems to be styled back with no angle.
The hairstyle as it is has some great aesthetics especially since you got an undercut -- flat styled back hairstyles are usually boring whereas slightly messy slicked back hairstyles look real good on men with undercuts as it is your case.
Let us know about the directions you chose mate. Will keep an eye for your reply
Cheers

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
10-05-2013, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2013 03:46 PM by Barber.)
Oh just read your reply in the undercut thread

(10-05-2013 03:24 PM)EmreYOrhan Wrote:  Thanks man!, my hair is actually curly, it get's this straight when I blowdry/straighten my hair. But I love straight hair so that's what I do. New thread opened btw.

You wont get fully straight hair with the blow dry & brush method which could explain why the locks on the centre are curving. What is your natural hair type according to our hair type guide and/or have you any pictures of your natural hair?

edit -- I'm assuming you're straightening with the blow dry & brush method since you mention the blow drying tho let know if you're using another method to straighten your hair. Cheers

10-05-2013, 03:58 PM
(10-05-2013 03:43 PM)Barber Wrote:  Oh just read your reply in the undercut thread

(10-05-2013 03:24 PM)EmreYOrhan Wrote:  Thanks man!, my hair is actually curly, it get's this straight when I blowdry/straighten my hair. But I love straight hair so that's what I do. New thread opened btw.

You wont get fully straight hair with the blow dry & brush method which could explain why the locks on the centre are curving. What is your natural hair type according to our hair type guide and/or have you any pictures of your natural hair?

edit -- I'm assuming you're straightening with the blow dry & brush method since you mention the blow drying tho let know if you're using another method to straighten your hair. Cheers

Well answering your first question, I styled it backwards, completely straight, the photo was taken at the end of the day, so it got all messed up basically.

I blowdryed it with a brush first, and after that I used a straightener.

I'd say my hair is wavy according to your guide. More like Matthew McConaughey's hair.
10-05-2013, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2013 04:19 PM by Barber.)
I see. I dont think it's a cowlick since you have just noticed this and thought it was from the baseball cap. Also with long hair like yours cowlicks are easier to tame, when you have short hair -- think less than 2 inches -- the styling method for cowlicks is to simply follow the direction and never go against it as the hair will either stand up or look odd. This is how a cowlick looks with short hair

[Image: Cowlick_Boy.jpg]

And this is how a cowlick looks when you try to style it against its direction

[Image: Cowlick.JPG]

What I think is happening in your case is that by the end of the day your hair has absorbed enough moisture from the water in the styling products you may have used and from the actual weather too. Remember straightened hair -- with a flat iron -- will start to curl back when exposed to moisture/water.

The natural wavy messy style you have is from my point of view simply your hair acting naturally. If you want your wavy hair to be fully straightened then go for a brazilian blowout and use a strong hair gel to slick the hair back. You can also use a good holding pomade, Jurgen reviewed the Layrite super hold pomade and he mentioned it had good hold.
We dont have an official thread for a brazilian blowout yet but Jurgen explained it here http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...d-haircuts -- a brazilian blowout is also known as a keratin treatment in case you're confused with both terms as Jurgen and TMHF used them both.
Cheers

10-05-2013, 04:25 PM
(10-05-2013 04:17 PM)Barber Wrote:  I see. I dont think it's a cowlick since you have just noticed this and thought it was from the baseball cap. Also with long hair like yours cowlicks are easier to tame, when you have short hair -- think less than 2 inches -- the styling method for cowlicks is to simply follow the direction and never go against it as the hair will either stand up or look odd. This is how a cowlick looks with short hair

[Image: Cowlick_Boy.jpg]

And this is how a cowlick looks when you try to style it against its direction

[Image: Cowlick.JPG]

What I think is happening in your case is that by the end of the day your hair has absorbed enough moisture from the water in the styling products you may have used and from the actual weather too. Remember straightened hair -- with a flat iron -- will start to curl back when exposed to moisture/water.

The natural wavy messy style you have is from my point of view simply your hair acting naturally. If you want your wavy hair to be fully straightened then go for a brazilian blowout and use a strong hair gel to slick the hair back. You can also use a good holding pomade, Jurgen reviewed the Layrite super hold pomade and he mentioned it had good hold.
We dont have an official thread for a brazilian blowout yet but Jurgen explained it here http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...d-haircuts -- a brazilian blowout is also known as a keratin treatment in case you're confused with both terms as Jurgen and TMHF used them both.
Cheers

Thanks for the detailed reply. I believe you are right about the fact that my hair acts naturally. I was considering a brazilian blowout, I might do that in the future. I'll check out the links you provided tomorrow, it's 1.25 am here, gotta go to bed. Cheers
10-05-2013, 04:32 PM
No probs mate, a brazilian blowout really looks like a good option for you then since it lasts 3+ months and you already have the hair straightener for the brazilian blowout so its only a matter of buying the product itself and your ready to go.
Let us know eventually what you decide but the messy slicked back hairstyle you have looks pretty good IMO I actually get a good number of men at the barbershop with wavy hair asking me for a solid corporate hairstyle while keeping some long hair length and I always recommend and undercut with a slicked back hairstyle like you have for a good corporate look that is convertible.
Cheers

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------