Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get better hair and hairstyles as a male - 5 easy tips
10-03-2016, 10:32 AM
How to get better hair and hairstyles as a male - 5 easy tips
How to make your hair and hairstyles look better and feel better? As a guy you have probably read plenty of tips about hair for women, but what about tips on men's hair and how to style hair? Is the hair of men different from the hair of women? What needs do men have with regards to their hair?

The difference between women's hair and men's hair is very small, with the most common difference being that men tend to have greasier hair as they secrete more sebum than women. Other than that, both men and women grow their hair at approximately the same rate (one inch every two months) and can grow the same range of hair types and shapes (e.g. curly hair).
Without further ado let’s now provide you with 5 tips for better hair as a male!

Don't wash your hair every day
Most men wash their hair daily which is way too often for male hygiene. From my experience as a hairdresser and hairstylist, I recommend that men try to find out their best frequency of shampooing through a smart, simple method. In this method, a male must find out his optimal shampooing frequency though trial and error, removing one shampoo day every 2 weeks, as simple as that. By doing this you may find out that you ultimately need to shampoo your hair every other day while another male may find out that he actually only needs to shampoo once a week!

Learn how to use the right hair products for men
Almost all men have heard of hair gel or hair pomade but not all know specifically what each hair product is and does. Again and from my experience, hair gel should be used by men to shape their hair with texture and either a dry or a wet look, while pomade should be used to give a sleek natural look to the hair - not a greasy look - and hair wax should be used to shape the hairstyle while giving it some sleek too (so hair wax can be summarized as giving results as if it were a combination of hair gel and pomade).

Whatever hair product for men that you prefer, there is no excuse to not knowing your hair products as a male. This forum is full of great product guides and you can start your search of good men's hair products with this guide:

Style with your fingers and avoid pulling your hair with a comb
Generally you are better off either styling with your fingers or using a wide tooth comb, especially if you have curly hair. Only if you have 100% straight hair with no curving should you be using a regular comb.

The only time when it's acceptable to pull your hair with a fine tooh comb is when getting a classic slicked hairstyle. See the following link for lots of ideas on the slicked back hairstyle:

Get some hair inspiration and hairstyling ideas
Even though I haven't been on this forum for a long time, one of the goals of this forum is to offer hair inspiration to men who have given up on their hair or are close to doing so. I came across this forum searching online for a celebrity's hairstyle that one of our salon's customers had discussed about - I didn't know who this celebrity was and I was pleased to see that there was actually a guide on this celebrity's hairstyle!

By providing pictures of the many ranges of hairstyles, haircuts and hair shapes, anyone can easily understand that having whichever natural hair shape is not only normal but also a good thing as after all one's hair shape is the direct consequence of one's DNA being expressed. I'm talking mainly of curly guys who are not happy with having curly hair. Even this forum offers a section on curly hair for men:

I recommend that you browse not just this forum but also magazines. Go online to find particular sources of hair inspiration, it can be a magazine, a TV commercial or a movie, but just have an idea of a hairstyle you'd like to get. Then get a paper copy of that hairstyle that you want and bring it with you when you go to the hair salon or barbershop for a haircut. It really makes it easier for us to know what it is that you want as a haircut when you bring a photograph or a printed paper. Preferably more than one too.

Get the right haircut for the right hairstyle with the right professional
It doesn't matter that you have in your mind the most awesome hairstyle, if you don’t get the right haircut you will be going nowhere. Take your time to research your hairdresser or hairstylist - I'm talking about their skills - and don’t hesitate to ask for reviews. A good hair professional will have no problems telling you about his or her capabilities if that means making a new customer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to turn Curly hair into Straight hair? Straightening tips joserijo 1 1,153 09-25-2015 11:30 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Using 2 different hair products for hairstyles? tellyouican 1 687 07-31-2015 06:15 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Lightbulb Hair coloring tips for men to get and dye cool hair colors! Mane Man 1 1,162 07-05-2015 01:17 PM
Last Post: ElenaTheBarber
  Any tips on handling awkward stage of growing out Hair shahrukhch1 14 32,259 03-23-2015 11:16 PM
Last Post: shahrukhch1