Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get EMO hairstyle and what hair questions to ask?
08-29-2015, 07:52 AM
How to get EMO hairstyle and what hair questions to ask?
Hello! I'm new here so i don't know if this is the correct place to post a thread. Anyway i'm 16 years old and i have regular straight hair that i cut about every month to 3 cm.

Now i've decided to get emo-style hair but i don't know what i have to do in order to "shape" it like an EMO hairstyle so here are my questions:
  • Do i have to let my hair grow long and if so how long does it have to grow to get an EMO hairstyle?
  • Does it have to be cut in a certain way?
  • Can i ask my hairdresser about this stuff (like if she knows how to make my hair look "EMO")
I'm quite a noob when it comes to hairstyles so please no judgement for that or trying to get EMO hair.

P.S. I usually put some styling gel on my hair and "raise it up" when i go out. Sorry for my english, i'm not familiar with all phrases since it's not my native language. All help is appreciated
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2015, 08:40 AM
RE: How to get EMO hairstyle and what hair questions to ask?
Hey dude welcome to the forum. Don't worry about your english skills as this forum is an international forum. I slightly edited your post but only to make it easier for others to search for your post and provide help or read the EMO hair advice that you get in this thread.

An EMO hairstyle for men is defined by the hair fringe on the front. This is what we (barbers) call the forelock. Usually an EMO hair style will have the hair tapered on the top so that the hair on the forelock (on the front of the head) has the longest length of all the locks on the head. An essential characteristic of the EMO haircut is that the hair fringe has to cover the eyes and even when the fringe is styled to the side. So a very good haircut length for the EMO fringe would be six inches of hair length. This is what we call a long hair length as per this hair length guide from the forum.

This is what a longer hair fringe for an EMO hairstyle looks like:

[Image: 4b1e09f8e3c8443229ccd4844eec6c91.jpg]

[Image: b80e1106b9b310c4b88e6d48a184f0fa.jpg]

[Image: 89eb9eeaa7afb5f7848ea59af567bbde.jpg]

[Image: 830510576cf6465c5319b508f7acdaea.jpg]

[Image: 9e68c404fd3b4c287e91e0c415129d84.jpg]

Remember that the hair fringe is slightly longer than the rest of the hair on the head. You could have the hair fringe at six inches while the rest of the hair on the head is four inches and even shorter. It's up to you although you need to have the fringe long enough to cover your eyes. The minimum hair length for a fringe haircut to cover your eyes is five inches. This includes when your fringe is styled to the side as an EMO hairstyle is achieved.

Another way to have the haircut for your EMO hair on the top of the head is to keep the hair at the same length instead of keeping the forelock longer than the rest of the hair on the head. For this to work though you will need to also have some longer hair on the sides and back of the head. Something like five inches of hair length all over the head in an even haircut will work for the EMO hair look. I suggest however that you have a hair length of over six inches and more like eight inches of hair. This is because with bulkier and longer hair on the sides of the head you will be styling all of the hair to the side.

[Image: ed5db057485e9227a073497503747f26.jpg]

[Image: 6a843a08c761b1f1dc75398680ab7d30.jpg]

[Image: 6bd1b090d9bbee99a00ee49c05788ffa.jpg]

[Image: 560d87aee9e7e5013f3ffff37e3c363f.jpg]

[Image: 20d447d05396e6bb18e35f566b69e3d9.jpg]

[Image: 2fbabe32a0da46e38378e71b2c457c74.jpg]

[Image: 78d56532478b10fb7c9a9c72b462493a.jpg]

As for what hair products to use to get an EMO hairstyle, the answer is a hair dryer and a hairstyling wax or some hair mousse. See this men's hairstyling wax list for a great range of hair wax products for men. I suggest that you grab the matte hair wax in the list or the low-shine and strong-hold hair wax in the list. Those two hair wax products will work very well for the EMO hair look.

You can also go with a good hair mousse. Unlike the men's hairstyling waxes above, a hair mouse will make your hair a little harder in terms of texture and it will also add some natural shine to your hair. A good hair mousse to use for an EMO hairstyle is the one listed in this men's hair products list.

With a hair dryer to use for the EMO look, you simply point the hairdryer from the side and back of your head pointing forward so that your hair is blown forward. This is what gives your hair the forward and slanted look that is so typical of EMO guys. The same goes for the hair fringe as it is styled to the side. For good men's hair dryers see this discussion which includes lots of great hair dryers to choose from according to how much you're willing to spend on a hair dryer.

Don't worry about styling your hair as it will come natural to you. Styling EMO hair is very easy so long as you have a decent hair dryer and either a matte hair wax or a good hair mousse (see the links above). It's a matter of playing with the hair dryer and either the hair wax or the styling mousse to find the perfectly slanted EMO look.
08-29-2015, 11:21 AM
RE: How to get EMO hairstyle and what hair questions to ask?
I don't mind having my post edited and thank you very much sir!
You really went through everything to explain this to me and now i understand how to style my hair to look EMO.
Once again many thanks and cheers. Smile
By the way, you may lock this thread as no further explanation is needed.

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Medium slickback hairstyle Gias98 0 101 10-20-2016 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gias98
  Help identify my hair for a new hairstyle gabriel777 2 168 10-18-2016 09:34 AM
Last Post: gabriel777
  Long hair side shaved grow to man bun hairstyle or top knot? darkguy2 3 188 10-17-2016 08:44 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Frohawk hairstyle and haircut: How to, Pictures TheMensHairForum 10 20,533 10-10-2016 08:45 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum