Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to do a hipster haircut? and what is it?
06-25-2014, 06:17 AM
How to do a hipster haircut? and what is it?
I am hearing about hipsters and the hipster haircut, but what on earth is it and how do you get a hipster haircut?? here in the uk we have all these lads with the beard and undercut hairstyle, which i think is what is referred to as a hipster hairstyle... or not?? anywyay if any of the experts can get me out of this dilemma please? not that i am interested in getting one but curious as heck to know what it is Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2014, 11:45 AM
RE: How to do a hipster haircut? and what is it?
Anton, the hipster haircut has gone on a tangent from what it originally was supposed to be. Hipster hair, so to speak, was the kind associated with the Skrillex haircut where the hair took sharp asymmetric shapes and usually a blend between an EMO haircut and a long hairstyle.

The above was the original hipster haircut. Then, this haircut type started to become trendier with the metrosexual crowd, so metrosexuals went from getting manicures to growing their beards. This former-metrosexual population is in their mid 20s to early 30s and has plenty of disposable income. They started to adapt and introduces many of the hipster mannerism to their beauty-conscious lifestyle, including, of course, the hipster hairstyle. However, they (former metrosexuals) added a twist to the hipster hair and included the so-called hipster beard. Thus, we ended up with the original hipster culture morphing into beauty-conscious Mac-using young men who can easily spend 50 bucks on getting their beards trimmed for 10 minutes at a high-scale barbershop. And the tattoos, oh, the tattoos Big Grin As an example of the new breed of hipsters, Ricki Hall with his beard, undercut haircut, asymmetric long hair and tattoos, would be the king of hipsters.

I call this second population of hipsters the neo-hipsters, and the original hipster is a dying breed (with hopefully Skrillex following suit too). The look for the neo hipster is a full beard with a slicked back undercut hairstyle and a couple of part ins (aka shaved lines) created with a T-finisher clipper. I will talk a bit further down about the hair products for the hipster haircut, but, right now below, I will post some pictures of the hipster haircut, so you can have some references of the style and shape.

For the most part, it's an undercut or high fade on the sides and back, with enough hair length on the top of the head for either slicking, sweeping, parting or shaping up. If you need the actual barbershop terms for a hipster haircut, then tell your barber you want a "high fade with 4 inches on the top" or "undercut with 4 inches on the top". Don't say you want a hipster cut, as your barber or hairdresser will very likely not even know what the word is!

I am posting pictures of the hipster haircut with beard, and also without beard so that you have a reference of how the hair itself looks and is cut. However, it's the hipster beard, which is full and usually scruffy, that complements the hair for a whole hipster look! Big Grin

[Image: 85b7af0d69479242b56541bbee4da452.jpg]

[Image: 12d743578c60130640830c6d441c8be8.jpg]

[Image: 2c063c1975626e495590e949cc492938.jpg]

[Image: 1922370_733322373385785_1971084840_n.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mwhtlxMuor1qfajz0o1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_msfkw0eFxu1s9xap3o2_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mkc0la9FQo1qg21eqo1_500.jpg]

[Image: 673]

[Image: world-cup-20.jpg?w=500&h=743]

[Image: toby-413453.jpg]

[Image: mathieu-debuchy.jpg]

[Image: BqrPchKIEAEo_4u.png:large]

Continue reading on the next post below too for more information on this haircut! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-25-2014, 11:52 AM
RE: How to do a hipster haircut? and what is it?
An important part of the whole hipster look is the use of hair products. If you follow our forum, you will know which are the good hair products to buy for the lowest prices. Unfortunately, hipsters tend to buy the most expensive products, when, in many cases, a higher price tag for male hair products is not correlated with a higher quality (and we have already covered in the forum some of the overpriced brands selling snake oil).

The good hair products for the hipster hairstyle include:
  • A good wet-look pomade to slick the hair or side part it (see this pomade).
  • A good matte hair wax for shaping quiffs or to style the hair up in a brush up hairstyle (see this matte wax)
  • A hair dryer so as to get enough volume on their slicked back hair or brush up hairstyle. This hair dryer is one of the few hair dryers we recommend globally as it works on all hair types pretty well.
  • A beard trimmer if the hipster doesn't feel like looking like a "tough" hipster (this beard trimmer is pretty darn good so as to keep the hipster beard at an even length 24/7)
  • Beard oil, whether the beard will be scruffy or whether the beard will be looked after. After all, hipsters are former metrosexuals. For a good bard oil, get this one.
  • A men's comb and a beard comb. Especially the regular men's comb as the hipster hairstyle involves side parting, side sweeping and back slicking. We have plenty of hairstyle guides on the forum about all style variants of the hipster hairstyle, so read for your hipster knowledge Big Grin For a good men's comb, get this one here. For a good beard comb, get this one.
  • A T-finisher aka T-outliner is also needed for a good hipster look, and a T-finisher is a hair clipper and trimmer that allows you to draw "shaved" lines in your hair. You simply use the corner of the T-finisher to clip the hair to scalp and thus draw the lines (they will look like shaved lines, for all purposes, as the T-finisher clips very close to skin). For an excellent T-finisher that also acts as a beard trimmer and hairline shaper, go with this T-finisher.
  • Since a good hipster hairstyle requires a good haircut, then having a high-quality hair clipper is very important. We have said this many times in the forum, if you are getting undercut haircuts, you can easily give them to yourself with a good clipper (and thus save a lot of money from not visiting the barber so often!). Even if you are not into hipster haircuts, we highly recommend to own a high-quality hair clipper, and for an excellent hair clipper that comes with all the tools you need in one box, we highly recommend this one from Andis without a doubt Smile

Pretty much all the above information, including my previous post, is all you need to know for the hipster haircut and hipster beard. By the way, don't forget to get a good barber or hairdresser as the initial cut is imperative to getting the shape of the hair just right (and you can give yourself the following haircuts)! Wink

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 289 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Haircut fix Pgreene431 1 192 10-28-2016 02:26 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 221 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander
  Frohawk hairstyle and haircut: How to, Pictures TheMensHairForum 10 21,050 10-10-2016 08:45 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum