Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to degrease and remove pomade from hair
04-06-2016, 04:23 PM
How to degrease and remove pomade from hair
I've read that generously slathering olive oil on one's head, and then rinsing with warm water, will remove oil based pomade from your head hair. I would think that it is also necessary to shampoo the hair in tandem with the olive oil softening. Would someone please advise what steps are essential and what other products will aid in removing pomade from your pomaded slicked locks? Thanks for your help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2016, 09:40 AM
The best way to remove pomade off your hair is to use a good shampoo for men!
To remove pomade from hair all that is needed is a good men's shampoo. Using olive oil will only make matters worse depending on the type of pomade (water based vs. oil based).

In any case, use a good shampoo to remove pomade off your hair. I recommend that you use a good shampoo meant for oily hair as, for all effects, your pomaded hair is akin to having oily hair. A shampoo for oily hair is a little bit stronger than a regular shampoo or a moisturizing shampoo, but it isn't as strong as a clarifying shampoo or a chelating shampoo (these latter two types of shampoo are only meant to be used for harder-to-clean scenarios or as a regular maintenance for a good hair-care routine).

I suggest that you go through our men's shampoo guide and go with the recommended shampoo for oily hair. If you don't fancy using a shampoo for oily hair, then you can also get a clarifying shampoo but only use a couple of fingertip-sized amounts on your hair to remove the pomade. Try the shampoo for oily hair first, and then try the clarifying shampoo if the former shampoo isn't enough for your pomaded hair (i.e. you use too much oil-based pomade for the oily-hair shampoo to do its job properly). In any case, that shampoo for oily hair as recommended in the linked guide is more than enough in just about all scenarios of pomaded hair.

Last but not least, it is imperative that you wash your hair before going to bed if you're using an oil-based pomade(i.e. the older heavy-duty and old-school pomades). You should be doing the same with water-based pomades, but you can have some leeway with the water based pomades if you do not use too much of it to style your hair (i.e. you can wash your hair the next day if you do not us too much of the water-based pomade).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ponz Grooming hair pomade opinions and experience vicktor.j 0 159 06-13-2016 10:04 AM
Last Post: vicktor.j
  Need recommendations for a pomade Dreadedone 0 335 04-27-2016 11:41 AM
Last Post: Dreadedone
  By Vilain Dynamite Clay vs Baxter of California Clay Pomade goldensw 2 637 04-17-2016 12:37 PM
Last Post: streaks of wavy
  Difference between low shine pomade and matte finish clay pomade? Stan A 0 347 03-09-2016 08:54 PM
Last Post: Stan A