Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Do a Fade Haircut - Video Tutorial
04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
How to Do a Fade Haircut - Video Tutorial
The following is a video tutorial on how to do a fade haircut. The fade is a type of haircut where the hair gradually decreases in length until it "fades" (i.e. disappears) into the skin. Unlike a taper haircut, the the hair need not end at the hairline of the neck and ears. The fade is particularly popular with black American men and was at its highest in the late 1980s, although the fade is becoming popular again in the mid 2010s.

When doing a fade haircut, the main point to remember is that you first want to clip the hair in horizontal layers with different clipper lengths (similar to how you'd do a 2-step Undercut). So, starting from the horizontal line of the temples, you will clip a horizontal layer of hair with a chosen clipper length (e.g. a #4), starting at the left temple and going around the head in a horizontal line to end the clipping at the right temple. That's your first clipped horizontal layer.

Following from the above, you then repeat the same process with a shorter clipper length to clip another horizontal layer just below the layer you just clipped across the temples' horizontal line. You will create as many horizontal layers as you want, and, once you have created them, you simply smooth them as you will see done in the video tutorial of this guide.

First, before going on to show you the video tutorial of the fade haircut, here are some pictures of how a fade haircut looks, so you get a better idea of the aesthetics of the haircut:

[Image: m1Vq8y4.jpg]

[Image: aB7VBJc.jpg]

[Image: C8BV0SA.jpg]

[Image: lnF5djV.jpg]

Video tutorial of fade haircut

Below is the tutorial, and below the video you will find the products that we recommend for doing this particular mens haircut.

Recommended products

If you're going to be giving yourself a fade or any other type of buzz cut, then we highly recommend the following products (click each product link to learn more about it):
  • This cordless hair clipper: this cordless hair clipper in the link is an awesome clipper that is lightweight and super convenient to use. It has the most powerful motor around, which means that it will buzz through your hair no matter its type. Likewise, the clipper comes with a full barber kit, including a wide range of guiding combs (i.e. hair clipper lengths), so you will truly have a lot of flexibility in creating your fade. Without a doubt, this hair clipper is worth its price and will last you years without ever letting you down.
  • This 3-panel mirror: when it comes to giving yourself a haircut and buzzing your hair, you need the most vision, and that's whee the 3-panel mirror in the link comes into play. It will allow you to adjust the angles of the panels so that you can see your blind spots when fading your hair and each of the 3 mirrors can be zoomed in to closely see each section of your scalp you're working on closer. This 3-panel mirror is also very useful for shaving and for designing your hairline and beard, so it's definitively an excellent investment!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2014, 08:19 PM
RE: How to Do a Fade Haircut - Video Tutorial
Is that a taper fade in the second picture?
07-01-2014, 08:54 AM
(06-30-2014 08:19 PM)Stylish Brotha Wrote:  Is that a taper fade in the second picture?

A fade is always a taper Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
07-03-2014, 04:11 PM
(07-01-2014 08:54 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(06-30-2014 08:19 PM)Stylish Brotha Wrote:  Is that a taper fade in the second picture?

A fade is always a taper Smile

Wow! I learned something new today Big Grin
07-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Nice, I've had a couple of unsuccessful tries on a fade before. Next time i'll remember this.
07-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Bump with questions. How many guards to use for a fade? It seems that the most standard I've seen is 3 but I have not seen a fully reasoned answer for why that is and why it can't be more guards. I think blending 7 different layers for example will look sweeping and dramatic.

Secondly is the difference in hair length using the clipper guards expected to be uniform. Ie from 1/8 to 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch or does it need not have to follow any pattern eg a big difference between the shortest and middle layer and the difference between the middle layer and longest layer being more similar.

Lastly when taking out lines isn't it the case that you are just creating a new line with a hair length being between that of the two layers they are between? If that is the case how come visually a fade effect is created instead of there now being 3 layers to look at. Ie what's special about blending so that it doesn't just look like 3 very similar layers. I'm really curious about the answer to this question because it really seems magical the way fade effects are created
05-31-2015, 07:55 PM
(07-09-2014 01:48 PM)furryhead Wrote:  Nice, I've had a couple of unsuccesfull tries on a fade before. Next time ill remember this.

I second your statement. I found something called a "Hair Fader" online. I think its new, just bought one. See how it goes.
12-18-2015, 07:01 AM
(07-09-2014 01:48 PM)furryhead Wrote:  I think its new, just bought one. See how it goes.

Have You already got it?)
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to Use a Hair Straightener for Zyzz Hairstyle (video) TheMensHairForum 1 5,316 05-02-2016 04:34 PM
Last Post: Refrusloi
  Good high and tight haircut video with instructions Bradley 2 2,731 02-07-2015 03:51 PM
Last Post: Bradley
  Black Guy getting Big Afro haircut with Hair Clipper alone! TheMensHairForum 0 2,423 08-20-2014 03:23 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
  Quiff/Brush up haircut tutorial Jonny 13 14,026 05-18-2014 01:03 PM
Last Post: Jonny