Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How short can you cut your hair without getting sunburn?
06-21-2015, 02:01 PM
How short can you cut your hair without getting sunburn?
I have thin hair and pale skin, and the shortest I've gone in the past 10 years is an inch on top, and number three on the sides. As a kid, I use to get butch cuts at like a 3 or 4, but it's too long ago to remember. I want to cut my hair as short as possible, but I work outside a lot so I don't want sunburn without a hat. How short can I go?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2015, 09:17 AM
RE: How short can you cut your hair without getting sunburn?
Hi mate, the shortest hair length possible to avoid getting sunburnt is half a centimetre. That's about 1/4 inches or a #2 hair clipper length or guiding comb.

I'm a barber and I always warn my clients to put sun cream on the sides and back of their heads if they're getting a haircut like an undercut haircut where the hair is clipped very shorter, shorter than half a centimetre most of the time. You must do it during summer as getting sunburnt isn't noticeable at first plus you won't be able to see it on your sides and back of the head until you go to sleep and then you will feel it!

I also tell my clients to also apply sun cram when it's spring and on sunny autumn days.

If your skin is very faint like mine then I would suggest that you go a bit higher in hair clipper length to a #3 hair clipper length or guiding comb, which is about 3/8 inches or close to one centimetre. It will also depend on your hair density but for the vast majority of guys, those rule of thumbs work great.

If you can actually tan during summer, then start using sun cream if your hair is under a #2 hair clipper length or guiding comb length.

If you simply go red and get burnt the minute that the sun is out, then avoid haircuts shorter than a #3 hair clipper length or guiding comb length. Or use sun cream.

If you cut your own hair then your hair clipper will have those lengths so just choose them or clip the #3 guiding comb. If you're instead getting your hair cut by your barber then ask for a number two haircut or a number three haircut.

Cheers!
06-22-2015, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2015 09:26 AM by Bradley.)
Just a quick post again. I really cannot recommend a sun cream enough if you're getting your hair shorter than the hair clipper lengths I mentioned.

You'd be surprised to know the amount of lads coming to our barbershop during summer with their scalps sunburnt because they went off to Ibiza for four days to party or simply because they spent the weekend with their mates hanging around town on a rare sunny British day. They're rare even in summer but they do occur and we get at least a dozen of lads with their scalps sunburnt coming to our barbershop about a week later when they want to keep their buzz cuts and undercut haircuts retouched.

It also hurts for at least a week so use a sun cream on your scalp during summer if your hair is buzzed. It only takes you a minute to put the sun cream on and you're done! Smile

Have a look at the the buzz cut hair guide in the link which goes thru all the buzz cut haircuts for men.

The buzz cut haircut guide above has pictures which will also give you a fair idea of what a number two haircut looks and how some haircuts only have the sides and back of the head buzzed that short. A classic example is the high and tight haircut where you run a major risk of burning your sides and back if you don't wear sun cream.
06-22-2015, 03:00 PM
I'm thinking of just getting a number three all around. I haven't had this haircut since I was a kid, so I may not look good, but I might try it. It would be low maintenance and I can do it myself weekly, and I shouldn't get sunburn. The problem with my hair now is it's a fair length when I get it cut, but I often let it grow out a few months to save money. I've had both long hair (past my shoulders) and short hair, and I find the worst stage to be that "middle stage" where you can't really style your hair, its messy, very hot, etc
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Salvaging a too-short cut aimsme 0 42 12-05-2016 12:40 PM
Last Post: aimsme
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 220 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander
  Afraid to cut long hair short men? Robin2909 0 444 06-01-2016 02:06 PM
Last Post: Robin2909
  Hair Styles for Short, Wavy Hair TimothyClayton 0 382 05-20-2016 06:40 AM
Last Post: TimothyClayton