Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How much shaving cream to use?
01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
How much shaving cream to use?
How much shaving cream do you guys use or recommend to use? for me i use the can foam and spread a thick layer across the beard and mustache areas. A good squeeze of foam enough to cover my palm is more than enough...what do u think or use? i use a safety razor btw
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 08:28 AM
RE: How much shaving cream to use?
Don't worry much about the amount of cream to use for shaving. Essentially you want to have all the facial hair covered with a layer of cream that is about 1/5 of an inch or so, enough to not be able to see your skin or the facial hair. Something like the guy in the picture below:

[Image: LLazFiw.jpg]

Don't use too much shaving cream as you will 1) waste it 2) make it difficult to guesstimate where the hair is and either shave hair you didn't want to or worse, cut yourself (especially lips).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
01-08-2014, 02:39 PM
(01-07-2014 08:28 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Don't worry much about the amount of cream to use for shaving. Essentially you want to have all the facial hair covered with a layer of cream that is about 1/5 of an inch or so, enough to not be able to see your skin or the facial hair. Something like the guy in the picture below:

[Image: LLazFiw.jpg]

Don't use too much shaving cream as you will 1) waste it 2) make it difficult to guesstimate where the hair is and either shave hair you didn't want to or worse, cut yourself (especially lips).

gotcha Smile
01-21-2014, 02:45 PM
It may seem obvious but i didnt know this either Undecided have been going with the flow since i started shaving and just plastering my face with shaving cream which also reminds me i should be getting a better one lol
Thanks TMHf!
03-15-2014, 11:15 AM
You can use a foam, or a soap (my father does it).
I used to shave alot, but changed into trimming it only, cuz when i shaved i looked like a kid.
So here is what i actually want to say, does a beard look good on you. If yes? than you can rock the beard out of your skin and let it grow. No? than kill the beard, but its best to ask people if the beard looks better on you than without. Just try, growing it, and if you dont like it, just shave it.
03-25-2014, 12:47 PM
I don't even use shaving cream - I guess I'm too embarrassed incase my parents see it haha.
03-25-2014, 01:21 PM
(03-25-2014 12:47 PM)JDeee Wrote:  I don't even use shaving cream - I guess I'm too embarrassed in case my parents see it haha.

Really? Why would you be embarrassed that your parents saw that you use shaving cream? I am genuinely curious about the reason Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-25-2014, 02:22 PM
(03-25-2014 01:21 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(03-25-2014 12:47 PM)JDeee Wrote:  I don't even use shaving cream - I guess I'm too embarrassed in case my parents see it haha.

Really? Why would you be embarrassed that your parents saw that you use shaving cream? I am genuinely curious about the reason Smile

It's not that I'd be embarrassed - I've just turned 18 and I'm not sure if they know if I shave or not yet... I'd just be afraid of them saying around people "ohh, he's started shaving now" - I get shy easily Tongue

Sorry!! Such a lame reason but it's true
03-25-2014, 04:57 PM
(03-25-2014 02:22 PM)JDeee Wrote:  
(03-25-2014 01:21 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  

It's not that I'd be embarrassed - I've just turned 18 and I'm not sure if they know if I shave or not yet... I'd just be afraid of them saying around people "ohh, he's started shaving now" - I get shy easily Tongue

Sorry!! Such a lame reason but it's true

Oh, don't worry, I can understand that Smile

The only incoming issue is that, in a couple of years, you will certainly need to start using shaving cream because the face (skin where the beard/mustache is) can only take so much beating (i.e. shaving without preparation). In fact, as the facial hair starts to fully mature and you start having more and more mature hair strands making up your beard, the friction effect caused by the act of shaving without some form of skin preparation will have the potential to cause a lot of irritation in the skin, and this irritation will be a pain to go around as daily shaving will augment the irritation.

As a tip, though, you can use regular hand soap (soap bar or even cream) to lube the facial hair and skin prior to shaving. Just create some lather with the soap bar and spread the lather over the area of the face you will be shaving. This trick will do for now as your beard hasn't fully matured and this trick will be much better and healthier to your skin than shaving the naked skin Smile

03-25-2014, 05:10 PM
(03-25-2014 04:57 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Oh, don't worry, I can understand that Smile [snip]

That is very interesting - thank you very much for those great tips!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Straight Razor Shaving Unshorn 14 3,931 10-07-2016 11:08 AM
Last Post: Joseph.davidson
  Wet shaving for acne prone, sensitive skin. PhoKingTasty 2 1,667 05-20-2016 06:49 AM
Last Post: TimothyClayton
  Can we use aftershave after shaving hair on head? Vladimir 6 9,503 12-18-2015 07:20 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c
  Organic shaving cream for men? Lordius 5 1,624 12-16-2015 09:50 AM
Last Post: Fantast1c