Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long is too long for an office job?
05-16-2013, 07:27 PM
How long is too long for an office job?
I'm growing my hair long, I'm thinking to my shoulders but I work in an office job with chances of being promoted to managerial level in the future. My hair right now reaches about my nose, the goal is to cut the hair in layers so it all reaches just before the shoulder. How do you think this can be seen in an office workplace? If you must know, my job is in the investment banking sector, so lots of conservative bald dudes running around Undecided Appreciating any answers Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2013, 10:59 PM
RE: How long is too long for an office job?
(05-16-2013 07:27 PM)Alex Wrote:  I'm growing my hair long, I'm thinking to my shoulders but I work in an office job with chances of being promoted to managerial level in the future. My hair right now reaches about my nose, the goal is to cut the hair in layers so it all reaches just before the shoulder. How do you think this can be seen in an office workplace? If you must know, my job is in the investment banking sector, so lots of conservative bald dudes running around Undecided Appreciating any answers Smile

Welcome to the forum, Alex Smile
As a general rule in conservative job environments, the hair should never cover the ears and/or collarbone (edit, was meant to say collar, not collarbone Big Grin). If you want long hair, your best option is to slick back the hair, but you won't be able to get away with shoulder length hair.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-17-2013, 12:27 PM
(05-16-2013 07:27 PM)Alex Wrote:  I'm growing my hair long, I'm thinking to my shoulders but I work in an office job with chances of being promoted to managerial level in the future. My hair right now reaches about my nose, the goal is to cut the hair in layers so it all reaches just before the shoulder. How do you think this can be seen in an office workplace? If you must know, my job is in the investment banking sector, so lots of conservative bald dudes running around Undecided Appreciating any answers Smile

TheMensHairForum is right.

Long hair in the workplace usually doesn't have a limit length per se, what it has is boundaries demarked around the scalp. No hair covering the ears and no hair touching the shirt's collar is normally what I've chatted about with human resources directors over the years. There are some banks that actually have specific guidelines with regards to men's hair in their employee's manual; if I recall correctly, Union de Banques Suisses (UBS) is one of them.

If the employer wants to be picky, a height mark (of the hair) will be put at about 1 inch, which means that your hair must not exceed 1 inch in height from the scalp, which is impossible for men with wavy, coiled and kinky long hair.

The trick is trying to get a decent haircut and hairstyle that ensures that no hair covers the ears and collar, regardless of your chosen length.

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-17-2013, 12:29 PM
(05-16-2013 10:59 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  

As a general rule in conservative job environments, the hair should never cover the ears and/or collarbone. If you want long hair, your best option is to slick back the hair, but you won't be able to get away with shoulder length hair.

You mean collar? Big Grin

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-17-2013, 05:59 PM
(05-17-2013 12:29 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  
(05-16-2013 10:59 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  

As a general rule in conservative job environments, the hair should never cover the ears and/or collarbone. If you want long hair, your best option is to slick back the hair, but you won't be able to get away with shoulder length hair.

You mean collar? Big Grin

Getting old here. Good spot!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
09-20-2013, 04:20 PM
(05-17-2013 12:27 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Long hair in the workplace usually doesn't have a limit length per se, what it has is boundaries demarked around the scalp. No hair covering the ears and no hair touching the shirt's collar is normally what I've chatted about with human resources directors over the years. There are some banks that actually have specific guidelines with regards to men's hair in their employee's manual; if I recall correctly, Union de Banques Suisses (UBS) is one of them.

If the employer wants to be picky, a height mark (of the hair) will be put at about 1 inch, which means that your hair must not exceed 1 inch in height from the scalp, which is impossible for men with wavy, coiled and kinky long hair.

The trick is trying to get a decent haircut and hairstyle that ensures that no hair covers the ears and collar, regardless of your chosen length.

Have to admit thats one smart reply / question for you Rogelio how you know all this trivial stuff, your like wikipedia 2.0
12-21-2015, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 07:06 PM by blueshift.)
I honestly didn't realize some jobs had a regulation for that. I'm also growing my hair out. If I get long Enough I'll start tying it back but leave things natural. It would strike me as discriminatory and manipulative if I was told I had to cut it and conform like the other men. What about ladies?
12-30-2015, 07:49 PM
If you can tie it up in a man bun, during office hours at least then that might help with the professional look possibly.

However this opinion can vary from boss to boss of course.
01-13-2016, 03:48 PM
I have a senior role in a Finance department, I have single length hair which barely touches my collar, it is swept back and kept straight and clean. No one ever mentions it, but it would be considered long as my fringe touches my chin if not tucked behind my ears.
My female colleagues would remark that it still looks professional, but makes me stand out from the standard short hairs and shaven heads.
I would disagree that in an office environment you can't bend the etiquette just a little now and again.
06-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Ponytail, maybe? Or low bun.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 132 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 462 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,444 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  New hairstyle, long hair to ...? philippe_lopes 0 332 09-08-2016 02:33 PM
Last Post: philippe_lopes