Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long for hair to reach shoulder length?
05-14-2013, 02:00 PM
How long for hair to reach shoulder length?
I have wavy hair and wanting to grow my wavy hair to reach the shoulders. Right now my hair is very short, I buzzed it about a month ago but have recently decided to grow it long.
How long to expect for the hair to reach the shoulders?? Thank you for any replies.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2013, 04:34 PM
RE: How long for hair to reach shoulder length?
(05-14-2013 02:00 PM)Machado Wrote:  I have wavy hair and wanting to grow my wavy hair to reach the shoulders. Right now my hair is very short, I buzzed it about a month ago but have recently decided to grow it long.
How long to expect for the hair to reach the shoulders?? Thank you for any replies.

Hair grows on average 1/2 inch every month. If you're starting to grow your wavy hair from buzzed, expect two years and a half at least to reach the shoulders starting from the top of the head.

Rogelio has some very neat tables in both his book showing the time frames for each hair type to reach the shoulders. I don't have the book here but if he's around I'm sure he'll be able to tell us what the time frame is from his research.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-14-2013, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2013 04:56 PM by Curly Hair.)
Hi Machado,

TheMensHairForum is correct, it's about 2.5 years for wavy hair to reach the base of the neck if starting from a near-shaved length. It also depends on the specific hair type and if you're using my ISEZ hair typing method or the Curly Hair Typing method of The Curly Hair Book. These are the time spans straight out from both my books

The Men's Hair Book:
Wavy hair: 36 months

The Curly Hair Book:
Type I: 30 months
Type II: 36 months

I recommend you to give yourself at least 36 months (3 years). Don't worry about the types above as each of my hair typing methods uses different nomenclature (i.e. Type I and II is what is considered wavy hair.)

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
05-14-2013, 05:04 PM
(05-14-2013 04:55 PM)Curly Hair Wrote:  Hi Machado,

TheMensHairForum is correct, it's about 2.5 years for wavy hair to reach the base of the neck if starting from a near-shaved length. It also depends on the specific hair type and if you're using my ISEZ hair typing method or the Curly Hair Typing method of The Curly Hair Book. These are the time spans straight out from both my books

The Men's Hair Book:

The Curly Hair Book:

I recommend you to give yourself at least 36 months (3 years). Don't worry about the types above as each of my hair typing methods uses different nomenclature (i.e. Type I and II is what is considered wavy hair.)

Best

I grew my hair when i was 17 and it took more or less three years too for the bangs from the forehead to touch my neck. My hair is wavy (almost straight so very loose waves) so your numbers are pretty spot on.
Sorry, im editing to say i grew my hair to shoulder length from a medium length though not buzzed length.
05-16-2013, 02:54 PM
how long would straight hair take to reach the shoulders?
05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
(05-16-2013 02:54 PM)Anton Wrote:  how long would straight hair take to reach the shoulders?

Long straight hair takes some 2 years to fully reach shoulder length if you start from a short length. Approximate values though as each male grows hair a bit faster or slower.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-22-2013, 02:43 PM
(05-14-2013 05:04 PM)Zorba Wrote:  

The Men's Hair Book:

The Curly Hair Book:

Best

I grew my hair when i was 17 and it took more or less three years too for the bangs from the forehead to touch my neck. My hair is wavy (almost straight so very loose waves) so your numbers are pretty spot on.
Sorry, im editing to say i grew my hair to shoulder length from a medium length though not buzzed length.

Like out found out, its always bets to err on the side of caution when trying to work out how long hair will take to grow. About the only truth is that the curlier the hair is, the longer it will take to reach shoulder length.

01-24-2014, 09:00 AM
(05-22-2013 02:43 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  

The Men's Hair Book:

The Curly Hair Book:

Best

Like out found out, its always bets to err on the side of caution when trying to work out how long hair will take to grow. About the only truth is that the curlier the hair is, the longer it will take to reach shoulder length.

I didn't start with my hair buzzed, but I was surprised with wavy hair that when the hair in the back grew out that there were a lot of curls under the hair and at the ends that like to get tangled. It's currently in between medium and long hair length. While I'm not convinced of whether or not I should try to get my hair "shaped up" or to just let it grow until it's at my shoulders--my goal--it seems that the back of the head grows faster than the front, so I've had the advice to trim the back but never the hair of the top of the head. .....But now I'm starting to like the curls lol.
01-27-2014, 02:24 PM
(01-24-2014 09:00 AM)carterholmes2 Wrote:  
(05-22-2013 02:43 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  

The Men's Hair Book:

The Curly Hair Book:

Best

I didn't start with my hair buzzed, but I was surprised with wavy hair that when the hair in the back grew out that there were a lot of curls under the hair and at the ends that like to get tangled. It's currently in between medium and long hair length. While I'm not convinced of whether or not I should try to get my hair "shaped up" or to just let it grow until it's at my shoulders--my goal--it seems that the back of the head grows faster than the front, so I've had the advice to trim the back but never the hair of the top of the head. .....But now I'm starting to like the curls lol.

Try to avoid trimming your hair while growing your hair long. Only trim the tips if you have damaged the hair and as males, damaging your hair enough to warrant trimming the tips is uncommon. Just grow it and once you get to your desired length, then shape it or trim it.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Knotted ,lifeless and quite long hair [Help] theboggart 0 131 11-06-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: theboggart
  How to get long hair like Johnny Depp hairstyle Sonchek 3 462 10-26-2016 11:53 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  Growing Shoulder Length Hair from Medium Hair, How Much Time? damon789 2 526 10-03-2016 09:37 AM
Last Post: The Hairstylist
Wink How to grow long hair like Avan Jogia from short medium haircut zuburaika 6 7,443 09-11-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: r3dzzz