Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you choose a hairdresser or barber?
06-21-2013, 05:30 PM
How do you choose a hairdresser or barber?
I have read the book part for choosing a barber in the Mens Hair book and I managed to find a good barber after visiting a few in my city. But I think I speak on behalf of everyone if I ask how do you go about choosing your hairdresser or barber for your haircuts, styling etc?
In my case it was the barber listening to me for long enough instead of just listening for 10 seconds and then chopping away. My now current barber takes the time to listen to me and doesn't rush the process which has helped in me getting better hair as he knows what I want exactly.
What about you? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2013, 06:05 PM
RE: How do you choose a hairdresser or barber?
Hey Stevens,

I'm glad my book helped you in picking the right barber!

For me, having a barber who has plenty of experience with my hair type or texture is imperative. Not many barbers (or hair dressers) know how to cut anything other than short straight hair, so, if you find a barber who knows more than that, then you sure have a winner.

Best

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Very interesting question youve asked. Finding a barber who listens is very important.

I usually go to the same barber that I have known for years although when I'm out of the city for weeks at a time (work projects) I will try go to an established barber who has decades experience, not just some hipster kiddo who thinks his $400 Peter Pan shoes and the GQ mags on the table are going to impress me.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-21-2013, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2013 10:03 PM by Zorba.)
I am not sexist at all but I prefer to see a male barber for my haircutting, barbers with experience with military haircuts are the best -- they cut the best fades ever!
I just call in or pass by for a quick chat and make sure the barber knows he's stuff.
06-22-2013, 02:33 PM
As if I should not know..a barber should listen to you 100% and try to accomodate what you want done but he should also be realistic with you and let you know of it too. No point in doing a haircut that you as a barber know is not going to work out anyway.

Price doesnt reflect quality btw. Normally, higher prices are charged due to larger overhead costs and not because the barber will give you a much better cut than the rest of barbers in the area.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Hey Barber thanks for posting. What would you say is a good time to talk with the customer before starting to cut?

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-24-2013, 11:53 AM
I must admit I dont pay much attention to this which would explain why I keep getting getting bad haircuts done. Thanks for the thread, look forward to what Barber has too say too!
06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
TheMensHairForum asked...I think up to five minutes is a good time to spend with your barber discussing the haircut, do also mention what you want to get out of the haircut and what hairstyles will fit in, if you have no idea, go for a simple taper haircut.
And take a magazine or printed pictures of what you want but do not assume that the haircut will look as good as the guy in the picture!

06-25-2013, 08:00 PM
In the past I went to the same barber for years, I chose him by referral from a friend of mine who had a nice classic haircut that looked most excellent with a suit! now that's a good barber if he can make you look good in a suit.
07-07-2013, 10:44 PM
I will choose a barber with a plenty of experience. Barber knows more then a hair dresser, in my opinion.
07-08-2013, 09:29 AM
This has got to be my biggest problem with getting my haircut, I always ended up with hairdressers that didn't seem to understand what I wanted.
07-08-2013, 02:23 PM
(07-08-2013 09:29 AM)Origin Saint Wrote:  This has got to be my biggest problem with getting my haircut, I always ended up with hairdressers that didn't seem to understand what I wanted.

What is your hair type?

07-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Straight but acts a little wavy occasionally. I basically have a 5 inch long styled Beatles haircut sort of. I'm hoping to cut it soon.
08-08-2013, 04:37 PM
i go by word of mouth either online or thru family members, friends, acquaintances etc
i try to stick with the same one if he proves to be good enough
08-10-2013, 10:38 AM
(08-08-2013 04:37 PM)Lordius Wrote:  i go by word of mouth either online or thru family members, friends, acquaintances etc

Maybe a sub forum should be created for "Recommended" barbers in each of our cities.
08-10-2013, 11:24 AM
(08-10-2013 10:38 AM)HairNoob Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 04:37 PM)Lordius Wrote:  i go by word of mouth either online or thru family members, friends, acquaintances etc

Maybe a sub forum should be created for "Recommended" barbers in each of our cities.

Thanks for the suggestion! We are carefully selecting the new options for forum sections. Would you be interested in a section where you can log your hair journey? For example, updating every once in a while about any hair loss, how your hairstyling is doing, if the ladies are complementing your hair, moods etc? We are considering this very option from the feedback the members give.

08-13-2013, 09:20 AM
A barber although, if pressed for time, a hairdresser. Whoever I choose, he/she must know how to cut curly hair (which not many hair professionals know how to)

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
08-28-2013, 07:15 AM
I've been using the same barbers since when my mom made me go there as a kid.
10-17-2013, 12:13 AM
I have used the same barber for a while and haven't really given much thought of changing ( Even though i didn't really like the haircuts i was getting) but next time i will be looking for a better barber so hopefully this helps me .
10-23-2013, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013 07:58 AM by Niebuhr.)
Where I'm at (Belgium) there's not really such a thing as a barber, just hairdressers with more or less experience with "just men". You'd have to go to a mixed (i.e. turkish or italian) neigbourhood to perhaps find a barber. Although that might be changing now that beards and moustaches have become the rage.

Anyway, I've gone through a few hairdressers and now I'm sticking with the one who imo listens to what I want but also manages to do something a little different, somtehing I might not have thought of but usually suits me. And he knows his job, obviously!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  how to tell barber michael91 0 538 12-15-2015 06:58 PM
Last Post: michael91