Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I give my hair more volume and curls? [URGENT]
04-29-2015, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 07:05 AM by kvdence.)
Big Grin How can I give my hair more volume and curls? [URGENT]
Hey, I'm new here so I don't even know if I'm posting in the right place. I'm not entirely sure as to my hair texture, so if someone could also point out the obvious to me, that'd be great! Is there any way I can make it so my hair looks similar to this in some way?

[Image: en2KYyp.jpg]

Right now my hair is sort of soft, only because I've moisturized it, but its still very nappy in the more lengthy areas. Any ideas? Also is there a particular hairstyle that anyone thinks would fit me? I'm up for trying new things.

My hair:

[Image: tygU9jn.jpg]

[Image: mBZH0Yy.jpg]

[Image: E7pwQcn.jpg]

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

TO VIEW IMAGES: Remove the space between 'http' & ':'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2015, 12:45 PM
How to give more volume to your curls? Grow your curly hair longer!
Welcome! Smile

Let's go by parts. First of all, your hair type is slightly different to the one of the male you've posted. His hair is what we call coiled curly, while yours is what we call "kinky curly". The difference between these 2 hair types is that, while they both form coils as per their natural hair shape, kinky curly hair (i.e. your hair type) has much smaller coils, so small that the coils easily pile on each other and thus allow you to get a lot of vertical volume (I'll get to that in a second).

I highly recommend that you go through our hair type guide (modeled after the popular hair type guide published in The Men's Hair Book) as you can learn a lot more about your particular hair type in that guide. There are 4 main hair types for men, and kinky curly hair is the curliest of all hair types; it is also the hair type that achieves the highest volume.

Now, you can easily get the hair volume that the guy in the picture that you posted has. All that you're missing is the extra hair length. Unfortunately, since kinky curly hair forms very tiny coils, the visible length that you get to see when styling your hair takes far longer to become visible than with other hair types.

To give you an example and gauging from the picture that you've posted, the male in the picture whose hair you want to emulate has about 6 inches of hair length on the top of his head (even though the hair looks shorter as it coils). You, on the other hand, look to have about 3 inches of hair length, yet your hair looks less taller/voluminous than if the male in that picture had his hair cut to 3 inches. This is because your hair naturally coils so tightly that it loses a lot of visible length in the process. As a matter of fact, you may have heard any of your female family members (assuming that they have your hair type) complain of having a hard time growing their hair long. It's because of this exact trait of kinky curly hair, not because their hair grows inherently slower.

Having said the above, the solution to achieving the same hair volume as that male in the picture is very easy; all you have to do is grow the hair on the top of your head longer. However, it's going to take some time, and you may or may not (understandably) want to commit to that time.

If you want to achieve the same hair volume and vertical length as that guy in the picture, you need to grow the hair on the top of your head for 8 months straight (at least). This time period may be even longer depending on your genetic hair growth speed, but you're a young guy so you have the odds in your favor of growing your hair fast. During these 8 months, you must not get any form of trimming for the hair on the top of your head; you can clip, trim and cut the hair on the sides and back of the head, but do not get any length removed from the hair on the top of your head.

After all that I've said above, there's one additional issue that must be covered. Even if you spend the next 8 months growing your hair longer to achieve the same vertical length as that guy in the picture, your hair will not look exactly like his. As you know by now from this post, your curls are much smaller than his, thus the overall texture of your hair will look different than his.

You can see in his picture that there are round "bumps" on his hair, this being the actual naturally-coiled shape of his hair. On the other hand, your overall texture will look much more even and not as "bumpy" as his as your coils are so small that their shape giv the illusion of a smooth surface, especially when your hair is seen from a distance farther than 3 feet away. What this means is that you have an advantage for vertical hairstyles and that you may very well do better by keeping your natural kinky curly hair instead of trying to achieve the bigger rounder curls that the guy in the picture has.

I highly suggest that you go through our High Top Fade haircut guide to get a good idea of the different vertical shapes that can be achieved with your hair type. The High Top Fade is a popular hairstyle among black men for a good reason: kinky curly is the best hair type to grow hair vertically, and the High Top Fade relies on the hair remaining vertical to the scalp at all costs (this comes naturally for kinky curly hair).

Make sure to also go through the thread on Nerlens Noel's High Top Fade, Iman Shumpert's Flat Top haircut as well as our black men's haircuts thread so as to get more ideas of how you could grow your hair vertically.

Finally, if you still want to achieve bigger curls (i.e. coiled curly hair) instead of your natural kinky curls, then I suggest that you go through this recent hair relaxing thread that has a lot of applicable information on the perming treatments to turn very-curly hair into looser curly hair and even straight hair. The name of the product that you'd want to use to make your curls rounder and smoother is a "hair texturizer". If you do decide to try a hair texturizer, then let us know in this thread too so that we can help you choose one.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-04-2015, 08:12 AM
RE: How can I give my hair more volume and curls? [URGENT]
Thanks for that much appreciated advice Big Grin! I now know my hair type. I think I would like to try texturizing my hair. What product do you suggest I use, and also what length should I grow my hair to before texturizing.

Also for styling purposes, what product do you think would do my hair (texturized and non texturized) justice in maximizing the curling ability of my hair and also to have those bouncing loose curls after it's texturized. A couple people have suggested the Cantu brand to me.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How do I achieve this casual side part hairstyle with volume? Gary99 0 515 06-19-2016 09:48 AM
Last Post: Gary99
  Longer slick back with more volume (undercut) w/ Pics imortal 0 631 05-01-2016 10:39 AM
Last Post: imortal
  Hair volume ianopolot94 0 452 12-20-2015 04:32 AM
Last Post: ianopolot94
  I need help on how to style my medium long, coarse, thick hair (urgent). Ivara1 3 1,460 04-28-2015 06:48 AM
Last Post: tommiyeah