Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I get this haircut? (I cut my own hair)
10-03-2013, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 04:43 PM by bugmenot.)
How can I get this haircut? (I cut my own hair)
Hi everyone, I have this haircut I want but I don't want to go to no barber.
I've cut my hair myself before so it's not me just going nuts with buzzers.

Anyway, here's the haircut

[Image: hp30.jpg]
[Image: r6w3.jpg]

I don't get the guards here as to what exactly this haircut is.. It says on a website it's a number 1 on the sides and a number 4 on top.

Normally that wouldnt be a problem but what does the back look like? How can I cut this myself if I don't know how it looks in a full 360 view? How would I make the back of this cut look? Would I keep tons of bulk on the back? How can I do this myself? I need some basic details.. This is the problem, also it might not even be a number 1 on sides and 4 on top that's why im asking you guys.

I can do it myself or well attempt but it's hard not knowing all the details

Help?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 05:12 PM
RE: How can I get this haircut? (I cut my own hair)
That's a pretty cool hairstyle my man!

The gentleman in the picture has a clipper taper, the first picture looks like a fade as it terminates at the skin.

Tapers and fade haircuts are complicated if you want to do them yourself because you need to level up the taper. You have to change guard/combs as you go down towards the hairline. I highly suggest you first get a taper done by a barber then take note of how he does it and come here for suggestions.

Since you are so keen in doing yourself the haircut, why not go first for a high and tight? The high and tight haircut has your hair clipped with the same guard/comb all through the sides and back, so it's pretty easy to do yourself so you also get the hang out of clipping your hair.

As for the top of his hair, the gent has a crew cut haircut (or a classic taper haircut, they are both similar) so the hair at the crown (think back of the top of your head) is shorter than the hair on the front of the head. I really can't see what taper he got on the top because the pictures have too much light reflecting but I believe the crow is a #4 and the front was done with shears (scissors).

Overall dude, this haircut is complicated for you to do unless you have a lot of expertise yourself cutting your hair. I personally recommend you to hit the barber, get the haircut done and then come here post pictures and we guide you some more.

The other option is doing a high and tight haircut, which has a similar shape but the high and tight haircut is easier to do than the crew cut he got. Have a look at our military haircuts guide and maybe see if you'd like the high and tight

This is the military haircuts thread http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...n-Products

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi mate, TMHF pinged me to have a look at your thread too.
What I can see is a good taper done in that lad you posted. It really depends on your skill at using a hair clipper, youve done tapers before? You will need a 3-panel mirror for this one as you have to keep track of the taper levels make sure they remain horizontal.
What you do is use the highest comb then buzz horizontal thru the perimeter of the head's top, this is the start of a taper, then go down horizontally as if it were steps while reducing a single comb size per step. You then need to ensure the steps transition smooth between each other. Lastly you need to prepare the sides/back prior to tapering by clipping everything with the comb you're going to use for the first taper step.
Like TMHF it looks as tho that lad got a clipper taper in the 2nd pic then got a fade in the 1st. Taper and fade are more or less the same haircut type just a fade finishes at the skin -- and in different levels too: high fade, low fade, white walls etc Difficult to tell how that lad's tapers were done as too much lighting going on in both pictures, if youve more pics of his haircut I can have another look.
Let know whats your experience clipping your own hair, tapers and fades are not recommended for beginners. Go with a high and tight haircut if you are starting out with a hair clipper and still dig the step scaling of a taper -- a high an tight only has one step tho so it's easier for your to do.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
10-05-2013, 04:25 PM
(10-05-2013 03:20 PM)Barber Wrote:  It really depends on your skill at using a hair clipper, youve done tapers before? You will need a 3-panel mirror for this one as you have to keep track of the taper levels make sure they remain horizontal.

Barber not trying to go off topic...plus this may help the op too, do you know where to get a good hairstyling mirror like the one you mention with 3 sides/panels?? thanks Smile
10-06-2013, 10:38 AM
(10-04-2013 05:12 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  That's a pretty cool hairstyle my man!

(10-05-2013 03:20 PM)Barber Wrote:  Hi mate, TMHF pinged me to have a look at your thread too.
What I can see is a good taper done in that lad you posted. It really depends on your skill at using a hair clipper, youve done tapers before? You will need a 3-panel mirror for this one as you have to keep track of the taper levels make sure they remain horizontal.
What you do is use the highest comb then buzz horizontal thru the perimeter of the head's top, this is the start of a taper, then go down horizontally as if it were steps while reducing a single comb size per step. You then need to ensure the steps transition smooth between each other. Lastly you need to prepare the sides/back prior to tapering by clipping everything with the comb you're going to use for the first taper step.
Like TMHF it looks as tho that lad got a clipper taper in the 2nd pic then got a fade in the 1st. Taper and fade are more or less the same haircut type just a fade finishes at the skin -- and in different levels too: high fade, low fade, white walls etc Difficult to tell how that lad's tapers were done as too much lighting going on in both pictures, if youve more pics of his haircut I can have another look.
Let know whats your experience clipping your own hair, tapers and fades are not recommended for beginners. Go with a high and tight haircut if you are starting out with a hair clipper and still dig the step scaling of a taper -- a high an tight only has one step tho so it's easier for your to do.

Hi guys. Thank you so much for replying to my thread I thought I was never going to get help, anyway. I do have a 3 way mirror that I have purchased for the occasion called the self cut system. It's pretty expensive but I couldn't find any other 3 way mirrors. I used to use my own mirrors but if you look @ the site you can see how convenient the product is.

Anyway, the instructions were great but im more of a visual learner. I wish there was a way I could see what you were trying to explain.. Hmm tough one here. Undecided

Anyway ive tried to find more pictures of the haircut I hope this helps:

[Image: c2xw.jpg]

[Image: lnjv.jpg]

[Image: ftfl.png]

[Image: ol1u.png]
10-07-2013, 01:05 PM
No problems buddy. We need a fade haircut guide and we have been working on one for the forum. I'll post here tomorrow some of the more descriptive guidelines we have which have to do with doing the steps and buzzing horizontal so it helps you get a better feel of the fade Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-07-2013, 01:47 PM
(10-07-2013 01:05 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  No problems buddy. We need a fade haircut guide and we have been working on one for the forum. I'll post here tomorrow some of the more descriptive guidelines we have which have to do with doing the steps and buzzing horizontal so it helps you get a better feel of the fade Smile

So a guide is being made that can help me get the haircut I posted?
If so that is such great news ive been waiting so long to try and get this haircut.
10-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Hey bugmenot just updating we're putting out a fade haircut guide and preparing it bro and waiting for approval. I'll be putting the link here so you can read it and we'll have a Q&A about the fade haircut for any questions Smile

10-13-2013, 10:21 PM
(10-11-2013 02:01 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Hey bugmenot just updating we're putting out a fade haircut guide and preparing it bro and waiting for approval. I'll be putting the link here so you can read it and we'll have a Q&A about the fade haircut for any questions Smile

Sorry if im not getting but.. A tutorial to get the haircut that ive posted? I would like to be able to cut that haircut myself but ive been a bit confused. If worse came to worse I guess I could ask for it but I cant find any other person with the haircut.
10-15-2013, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2013 04:52 PM by Barber.)
Bigmenot, the advice above is the technique itself but it requires a lot of practice to be able to do yourself a fade haircut. However, if you want to risk it and go for it, then read the advice I gave you and I'll try to see if you can visualise it better.

Have a look at that picture. Now imagine a straight line going from the temple all the way to the back of the head. Like I say, the line is straight and parallel to the floor. That line is your demarcation line for the fade. All the hair below the line must be clipped with the highest guard you want to go, say a 5.

Once you buzz everything, grab a lower guard (attachable ones) and place the hair clipper 1 inch below the temple where you start the demarcation line. Now go with the hair clipper (#4) in a straight line around the head. You now create a new demarcation line )between the %5 and %4).

Now grab a lower guard (#3) and start again one inch below where you started with the $3. Buzz in a straight line around the head.
Rinse and repeat while decreasing the guard length until you are clipping the hair with no guard.

For the haircut guide I'm considering putting lines etc but for now this is the advice I'm giving you. I hope you can visualise the demarcation lines created by clipping the hair with different #s. You have a folding mirror which will help a lot but if you can get a first fade haircut done by your barber. that's be great for you to better visualise the fading and demarcation of lines.
Cheers mate

PS for anyone reading this and wanting to know about hair clippers for the fade haircut then go here

EDIT: fixed paragraphs

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 254 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Haircut fix Pgreene431 1 185 10-28-2016 02:26 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 209 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander
  Frohawk hairstyle and haircut: How to, Pictures TheMensHairForum 10 20,991 10-10-2016 08:45 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum