Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Strands Of Hair Does The Average Person Lose Per Day?
12-07-2014, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 01:42 PM by docks.)
Question How Many Strands Of Hair Does The Average Person Lose Per Day?
Question for the hair Gods on here; as the title says, how many strands of hair lost per day is considered 'average'?

I've been growing my hair long for some time now (link to my thread if you're interested) and I feel like it's going well, but I notice during the day that I seem to shed a lot of strands. Every time I take my hair tie off, there's always one, usually two or three strands that come off with it, and the jackets/hoodies/swearers I put on often clip a few hairs off when I take them off. The bathroom has quite a few strands scattered around as well, and after i've shammed & conditioned in the bath, I lose about 20-25 strands of hair in the water, and put them on the bath rack to count. I'm not panicking just yet.. but should I be? I get that you're probably more likely to lose strands of hair with longer hair, but I feel like this is a bit of an excessive amount.

Any advice, tips or knowledge on the subject would be much appreciated. Feel free to ask me some questions to which the answers might help.

Thank-you.

J
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2014, 02:04 PM
RE: How Many Strands Of Hair Does The Average Person Lose Per Day?
Hi Docks! Well the figure is about 100 shed hair strands per day, or about 0.1% of your total scalp hair (on average, a man's head has about 100,000 hair strands).

The amount of shed hairs does however vary according to genetics, nutrition and if affected by hair loss (whether reversible hair loss or the dreaded male pattern alopecia). The range of healthy hair loss from shedding is between 50 to 150 hair strands per day (some people truly have some super dense scalps).

Also remember that the longer our hair, the more visible a hair strand is. I see you have long hair in your avatar (if that's you) so don't go into panic mode if the amount of daily shed hairs looks too high. You are a long time member so I guess you are using a conditioner or lubricating your hair some other way right? Just saying because conditioners really make it look like your shedding huge amounts of strands when you have long hair! Smile
12-09-2014, 06:33 AM
RE: How Many Strands Of Hair Does The Average Person Lose Per Day?
(12-07-2014 02:04 PM)Sunset Wrote:  Hi Docks! Well the figure is about 100 shed hair strands per day, or about 0.1% of your total scalp hair (on average, a man's head has about 100,000 hair strands).

The amount of shed hairs does however vary according to genetics, nutrition and if affected by hair loss (whether reversible hair loss or the dreaded male pattern alopecia). The range of healthy hair loss from shedding is between 50 to 150 hair strands per day (some people truly have some super dense scalps).

Also remember that the longer our hair, the more visible a hair strand is. I see you have long hair in your avatar (if that's you) so don't go into panic mode if the amount of daily shed hairs looks too high. You are a long time member so I guess you are using a conditioner or lubricating your hair some other way right? Just saying because conditioners really make it look like your shedding huge amounts of strands when you have long hair! Smile

It's pretty much what Sunset posted above.

Take into account that male pattern baldness (MPB) will cause a faster amount of shed hair strands per day. The problem with long hair is that, unless you're used to it, you run a risk of not being able to detect MPB early and mistaken it for the increased visibility that comes with long hair. That's why paying attention to the hairline and temples is so important, as, in most cases, male pattern baldness will manifest itself there.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Normal Daily hair loss, how many hair strands? Zorba 7 34,195 05-24-2013 09:04 PM
Last Post: Curly Hair