Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
High and Tight Haircut: Hairstyle Guide with Pictures, Products, How To and Tips
03-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Star High and Tight Haircut: Hairstyle Guide with Pictures, Products, How To and Tips

Epic Guide to the High and Tight Haircut!

The High and Tight haircut is a short haircut for men that involves having the hair on the head clipped short on the scalp, with the sides and back being much shorter than the hair on the top. In the High and Tight, all of the hair on the sides and back of the head is most-commonly clipped with no guiding comb or with a number one guiding comb or hair clipper length. Less common (but still doable) is to shave the sides and back of the head with a straight razor or safety razor.

On the other hand, the hair on the top of the head is usually clipped with 2 to 3 hair clipper lengths higher than the length used on the sides and back of the head. However, one may choose to have his hair as long as 2 inches long on the top, but not any more, as otherwise the High and Tight becomes an Undercut hairstyle.

This is how a typical High and Tight haircut looks. The guy below in the High and Tight picture is John Cena.

[Image: 2271a08d6e8007c823de07ab60ae9eae.jpg]

The line that determines where the sides and back of the head meet the top of the head (i.e. disconnected haircut line) is usually at the temple level. most precisely, the line meets at the upper-temple level.

How to do a High and Tight haircut

Just like with other short men's haircuts that reveal what the haircut looks like in their name, the word "High" in the High and Tight haircut refers to the clipping of the hair being done "high" on the sides and back of the head, which is the upper part of your temples (upper part of the sides of the forehead). Such a haircut height is used for many other men's haircuts such as with the Undercut and Fade haircuts. Thus, many barbers and hairdressers are able to cut a good High & Tight, even if they don't have much experience with it. Likewise, giving yourself a High and Tight with your own hair clipper is very easy and is certainly a solution that will save you a lot of money down the road from not going to the barbershop of hair salon to maintain your High and Tight. You can have a read through our extensive hair clippers discussion for the best hair clippers you can buy.

The haircut line creating the disconnection (i.e. separation "high" on the sides and back of the had) in the High and Tight between the hair on the top of the head and the hair on the sides and back goes around the head in a horizontal line, starting at one upper temple (either left or right temple) and finishing on the other temple. It's very important to keep the line horizontal, as otherwise the haircut will not be a High and Tight haircut.

This is how the disconnected haircut line looks in the High and Tight. Notice how the line is crated by the difference in hair length on the top of the head and the sides and back of the head.

[Image: 0kN5jyG.jpg]

In terms of where on the back of the head to expect the disconnected line to pass over if you got your High and Tight correct and horizontal, that'd be the crown of your head, also known as the vertex or "back of the top of your head".

This is how your High and Tight should look from the back. If you look to the reflection of the mirror, you will see how the horizontal line is placed on the upper temple.

[Image: high-and-tight-haircut-tools-hair-clippe...;amp;h=453]

Not only the hair on the sides and back of the head are buzzed with a hair clipper but also the hair on the top of the head. It's important to remember that the High and Tight is a hair clipper haircut; there's no use of scissors (i.e. shears) to cut the hair, but you can get away with some scissor-cutting on the top of the head if you want to keep a length that borders the 2-inch length mark.

Using a hair clipper for the High and Tight

In the High and Tight, the back and sides are clipped even, so only one hair-clipper length is used (as said above, it's usually a #0 or a #1), which makes this haircut very convenient and easy to do by yourself (just choose your hair clipper length and buzz the sides and back of your head as if you were mowing the lawn!).

The High and Tight can also be shaved although this is a rarer option and is more typical of the Recon version of the High and Tight. In any case, the line dividing the sides and back from the top of the head in the High and Tight should not only be kept high but also horizontal and not angled (although a very minimal angle is accepted).

With regards to the hair on the top of the head, the hair is also clipped with a single hair clipper length. Just like with the sides of your head, buzz your hair on the top with the hair clipper as if you were mowing your lawn in straight lines.

The same earlier-aforementioned horizontal line (i.e. at upper-temple height) that marks the disconnected haircut between the hair on the top of the head and the sides and back of the head must not faded nor tapered in the most strict sense. You may minimally smooth the disconnected line by using a higher hair clipper length on the line than the hair clipper length used for the sides and back. But do not turn your High and Tight into a High Fade haircut!

In essence, you want to be able to tell exactly where the hair on the sides and back of your head finish on the scalp (i.e. high) and where the hair on the top of the head starts. If, instead, the hair is tapered or faded into the sides and back, then the haircut is called a Fade haircut and not a High and Tight haircut.

Don't worry if you still cannot visualize how the disconnected line is set high on the sides and back of your had. I will post below a set of High and Tight pictures that will give you a pretty good idea as to the dynamics of the haircut.

Pictures of High and Tight haircuts

Since a hairstyling picture is worth way more than a thousand words in the hairstyling world, I will proceed to post a set of pictures of the High and Tight haircut. Pay special attention to how the hair on the top of the head abruptly "disappears" as soon as the sides and back of the head start, leaving a marked horizontal line which is our earlier-referenced disconnected line (as it disconnects the hair on the top from the hair on the sides). In some cases, the line is smoothed which, coupled with the lighting of the picture, sometimes makes it look like the hair has been done in a High Fade (just be aware that a High and Tight and a High Fade are markedly different!).

Continue browsing down through this High and Tight haircut guide, as, in the next post below, I will cover what hair products to use for the High and Tight as well as more information on this particular military cut! Smile

By the way, the last picture in this first picture set is as close as it gets to a long High & Tight. Were the hair on the top of the head to be longer than what you can see in the picture (i.e. 2 inches), we'd then be talking of an Undercut haircut and not a High & Tight haircut!

[Image: d15ad9f97af339779d9458151867c97c.jpg]

[Image: 29bd84fa6497049c8261b10f3f0015d5.jpg]

[Image: 2c79306cd79077a6f20e501e02be8ced.jpg]

[Image: f910db42d21934970a5f56b3b9b7f606.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n6la6kLHMb1rxurfso1_500.jpg]

[Image: 6e232163d1c083965d6323eba81e581e.jpg]

[Image: edf2685f2a4f79e06c68374de68b5338.jpg]

[Image: 1a814a1d42bc480ce38de8edb12dbd01.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2015, 10:14 AM
How to style your High and Tight, recommended hair products and the Recon haircut.

How to style your High and Tight hair

If you have left enough hair length on the top that you can style it, then you can style your High and Tight hairstyle to the side, front (i.e. fringe), up (e.g. spikes or Brush up) or as a Quiff like you'd have with a Crew Cut.

In terms of what hairstyling products to use, a good hairstyling wax and/or styling gel are more than enough to keep your High-and-Tight hair styled and ready to go! Smile

I've posted our recommended hairstyling products below too.

Hair products for the High and Tight haircut

Because of the short hair length of the High and Tight hairstyle, you pretty much just need a hair clipper and either some hairstyling wax or styling gel. Here are the products that we highly recommend for the High and Tight!
  • Get THIS cordless hair clipper: if you want maximum convenience when cutting your High and Tight and be able to also cut that haircut or any other haircut for yourself in minutes, then invest in the cordless hair clipper in the link. This cordless hair clipper is heavy duty (i.e. it will take some heavy beating), will last you an eternity before even giving you the smallest problem and will buzz through the thickest hair ever possible.

The cordless hair clipper in the link above also comes with a set of guiding combs (for many different haircut lengths), clipper oil, a hard case to safeguard your clipper as well as with all the accessories that you need for any and all men's haircuts possible! It's also from one of the world's most trusted hair-clipper brands, and we too highly trust this brand in the forum.
  • Get THIS corded hair clipper: if the cordless hair clipper above is out of your budget or you simply prefer a regular (corded) hair clipper, then the hair clipper in the link is your absolute best bet.

The corded hair clipper in the link above comes with all the accessories to make your High and Tight an absolute out-of-this world experience and it's an extremely powerful and durable hair clipper. It is also manufactured by one of the most-trusted hair-clipper brands in the world, and we certainly trust them too here in the forum! Smile
  • Get THIS hairstyling wax: the hairstyling wax in the link will provide you a strong hold with a matte finish. As minimal (yet trendy) as it can get for a hardcore military hairstyle!
  • Get THIS styling gel: this hairstyling gel in the link will provide you with a strong hold too but instead of providing a matte finish, it will provide a glossier medium shine finish.
When it comes to hair products for your High and Tight hair style, any of the two hair clippers recommended above in the links will work extremely well and last you an eternity (they are worth their price from here to Tokyo; they're that good!).

You can use either the hairstyling wax or styling gel recommended in the links to style your High and Tight hairstyle in any shape or form that you like, and, if you're doubting on which one to get (wax or gel), then just buy the hairstyling wax AND the styling gel together and you'll have an even wider range of hairstyles and textures for your High and Tight and for any other hairstyles and haircuts that you want to try! Smile

How the High and Tight looks from the top

To give you an even clearer idea of how the hair on the top of the head is clipped, I am posting below the top view of the High and Tight haircut.

[Image: 8hWay88.jpg]

Notice how the actual border of the hair on the top has started and ended on the upper temples and has been created by simply following the disconnected haircut line horizontally.

High and Tight hairstyle popularity

The High and Tight haircut is a popular haircut for military men, but it isn't very popular among civilian males due to the extreme look that it offers (the closest popular men's hairstyle nearer to the High & Tight is the Undercut). When it comes to civilians, the High and Tight is usually sported by those men who need to exude an aggressive or intimidating look, which includes sportsmen such as football players and fighters, singers (especially hip hop male singers, not surprisingly) and police men.

Having said the above, the High and Tight can also be sported by regular guys as it is a very convenient haircut anyway and you can easily cut your own High and Tight with a good hair clipper.

How does a High and Tight Recon look?

The High and Tight Recon is a more extreme High and Tight. Also known as only the "Recon", this particular haircut has the hair on the sides and back of the head clipped with no guiding comb (or guard) or is simply shaved. Sometimes the hair will be clipped with a number 1 clipper length, but other than not making the sides longer than what you'd do in the typical High and Tight, it's in the hair on the top of the head where the major differences lies (no pun intended!) between the High & Tight and the Recon haircut.

The hair on the top of the head is even higher on the head (i.e. higher than the upper temples) and thus the surface area of the hair on the top is smaller than that of the top's hair on the regular High and Tight. In fact, because the area of hair on the top of the head in the Recon is so small, it resembles a rectangle and is thus sometimes called a "landing strip" in military jargon!

Here's an example of how the Recon haircut looks like. Notice how the area of hair on the top of the head is substantially smaller as the disconnected line is higher than what we have seen for the regular High and Tight all throughout our High and Tight haircut guide.

[Image: 7205eb00920f8dcbc3d92f237b6bd1d3.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-28-2015, 03:25 PM
RE: High and Tight Haircut: Hairstyle Guide with Pictures, Products, How To and Tips
I come from a military family although I don't serve in the military. I have pretty much grown up with a high and tight haircut. These days my curly hair is in a longer crew cut or what the military calls a regulation haircut. I still get a high and tight at times if I just want something easy and ready to go.

I think this high and tight guide is extremely useful and you have outlined all the essentials of this haircut. The sides are only buzzed with a hair clipper, so never use scissors to do anything other than the hair on the top.

The best high and tight haircuts have the hair on the top buzzed. No scissors used and I agree with what you say about the high and tight being a hair clipper haircut. It's a really easy haircut and it's also easy to maintain, that's why the folks in the military use it, and also why I grew up with nothing more than a high and tight. I really like the haircut so I was fine with it during my teenage years and I always saw my dad with the same haircut or a military regulation haircut.

It's good that you mention that thing about the horizontal line. I'm no expert at cutting a high and tight but I can still cut it, and keeping the line horizontal is where it's at. So long as you can keep it horizontal you will get a badass high and tight.

One thing is that the scissor cut tops for the high and tight aren't popular in the military. This is a haircut that the guys who work in the fashion industry have adapted, but a true high and tight haircut does not use scissors anywhere on the head. It's just 2 clipper lengths, one for the top and one for the rest of the head. It's made that way exclusively for military convenience. I say this because some of the guys in this pictures would be ordered to go and get a real haircut if they went to their base with that long high and tight. They would also get to clean the toilets daily for 4 weeks straight for making a joke of a military haircut.

Anyway this is a great guide and I will send it to some of my friends in the military as I know that they always appreciate good high and tight pictures!
03-29-2015, 08:49 AM
RE: High and Tight Haircut: Hairstyle Guide with Pictures, Products, How To and Tips
I agree, this hairstyle guide is excellent!

A few things I'd like to add about the high and tight haircut:
  • It's a great curly haircut for men. If you're looking for a short haircut for your curls then the high and tight is right up there with the very best of short haircuts.
  • It's really easy to cut on your own. I'm a barber so it's not in my benefit to say this, but if you're just looking to get buzz cuts and high and tight cuts, then just buy yourself a good hair clipper and buzz your own hair with your hair clipper. You will save a lot of money even though a good hairclipper may set you back by one or two hundred pounds or dollars. Admin didn't mention it but if you're looking to have a hair clipper for short haircuts like the high and tight and more, then read the buzz cut guide for all the short haircuts you can do with a good hair clipper! Smile
  • I can confirm that this haircut is a favourite with the ladies. Our barbershop customers have told us how women love the high and tight haircut on a guy. But you've got to get a good high and tight and not one of those jarhead haircuts with the edges sticking out.
  • You should clip your high and tight every 2 weeks. Any longer and your hair begins to look like some form of an undercut blended with a fade haircut. Not good and leaving too long between hair clipping sessions just makes your high and tight look like a regular boring haircut.
  • The recon haircut is way more extreme but it's also a lot of fun. Be careful tho with getting a high and tight recon. It won't go down well in some places like if you have an office job.
If I come up with some more benefits of the high and tight I'll post them. Off the top of my head, what I just listed plus the rest of the stuff on this guide make the high and tight a very complete haircut. It's easy to do by yourself, only takes a couple of minutes and it's very convenient as the hair styling of a high and tight is minimal. Plus it isn't as boring as a butch cut or any other even-length buzz cut haircut!
04-02-2015, 04:41 AM
Such a cool guide of this haircut. I used to get buzz cuts all the time but never got a high and tight buzz cut.

I'm planning on growing my hair longer but seeing how cool this haircut looks I would consider the high and tight if I were to go back to buzzcuts. Also you guys mention about the hair on the top having to be two inches long as a maximum length. What if I kept the sides and back in a high and tight and then grow the top longer than two inches?

What do you guys think of a high and tight haircut for thick Asian hair? I'm talking of thick straight hair that stands up like a brush on its own when it's in a buzz cut. Would it look good on a dude with that hair type?

Another question, how easy is it to buzz your own high and tight haircut? From this guide I take it that it's pretty easy but just want to confirm that it is. I would love if anybody could help with my questions please!
04-04-2015, 06:20 AM
Ok so this is the name of the haircut! in Spanish we call the high and tight a 'military haircut'. If you say that to a barber he will cut your hair high and tight.

In Spain this hairstyle is not very popular, I only really see it with military guys and with skinheads. I have three friends in the military and they have this haircut. We also have some skinhead groups in Madrid who wear this haircut.

Between my friends we know that a guy is a skinhead here if he has this haircut and military boots with white laces. The white laces in the military boots are for white power. They all have this haircut or they buzz all their hair. I like a type of music where these groups sometimes come to the club and they look for fights. I like the haircut, I think it's a great short haircut. But here if you wear that haircut people may think you are a skinhead. I am not a skinhead and I don't like them so I don't wear this haircut as I do not want to be associated to them because I like a type of music.

There is another group of people here who have the high and tight haircut. It's people who listen to techno music. That is the music that I like and almost everyone in the club has this haircut. Sometimes the skinhead guys will come in to the club too. The guys who listen to techno and go to the club may or may not be skinheads. But it's a popular haircut with young guys between 16 and 30 who listen to very fast techno music.

I hope that my post is ok to understand, sorry for my English. I think I wrote a little off topic. It's to give you an idea of how this haircut is seen by people in Spain. It's a cool haircut but it has a bad reputation here.

Jaime!
04-15-2015, 04:22 PM
The explanation was extremely helpful!! I've been asking for a High and Tight off and on over the years.. for several years and have finally given up!! Even when I'd bring in a picture, I'd ALWAYS end up with what you call a High and Tight FADE!!!! I would make it abundantly clear that I WANTED it to be disconnected and have that nice horizontal line distinguishing the long from the short - but I never got it - and trust me... I want from barber shop to barber shop in the hope of finding someone to do it right!!!!
04-16-2015, 06:02 AM
(04-15-2015 04:22 PM)SteveMcG Wrote:  The explanation was extremely helpful!! I've been asking for a High and Tight off and on over the years.. for several years and have finally given up!! Even when I'd bring in a picture, I'd ALWAYS end up with what you call a High and Tight FADE!!!! I would make it abundantly clear that I WANTED it to be disconnected and have that nice horizontal line distinguishing the long from the short - but I never got it - and trust me... I want from barber shop to barber shop in the hope of finding someone to do it right!!!!

I know what you mean, many barbers will fade the disconnection instead of clipping with a single length. It's the same with the undercut as in barbers will intuitively taper the disconnected line when you're supposed to keep the lines sharp. It's the same with the high and tight haircut.

This guide has lots of great pictures showing how to get a high and tight haircut. Next time you're in a barbershop and want to get this haircut, show them the pictures so that they see how there's no fading. Even a barber who has no experience with the high and tight should be able to give you such a cut. It's a really easy haircut so easy that anyone can cut at home their own high and tight with a hair clipper.

Like it has been said in this guide the high and tight is an unusual haircut. It's mostly the military guys who get this haircut. So you will find it difficult to get to know a barber who has experience with the haircut. Usually but not always a good tip to find a barber who can cut military haircuts is to find a barbershop near a military base, barracks or camp. Military guys get their haircuts on site but from my experience the barbers who have a barbershop near a military camp can cut the best high and tight haircuts.
04-17-2015, 08:26 AM
I agree that it would be great to find a barber near a military base unfortunately, there isn't one!! As for bringing a picture..... "been there/ done that" - and they STILL end up blending/fading!!

(04-16-2015 06:02 AM)Bradley Wrote:  I know what you mean, many barbers will fade the disconnection instead of clipping with a single length. It's the same with the undercut as in barbers will intuitively taper the disconnected line when you're supposed to keep the lines sharp. It's the same with the high and tight haircut.

This guide has lots of great pictures showing how to get a high and tight haircut. Next time you're in a barbershop and want to get this haircut, show them the pictures so that they see how there's no fading. Even a barber who has no experience with the high and tight should be able to give you such a cut. It's a really easy haircut so easy that anyone can cut at home their own high and tight with a hair clipper.

Like it has been said in this guide the high and tight is an unusual haircut. It's mostly the military guys who get this haircut. So you will find it difficult to get to know a barber who has experience with the haircut. Usually but not always a good tip to find a barber who can cut military haircuts is to find a barbershop near a military base, barracks or camp. Military guys get their haircuts on site but from my experience the barbers who have a barbershop near a military camp can cut the best high and tight haircuts.
04-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Cool High and Tight haircut with long-enough hair on the top of the head!
Here is a great example of a High and Tight haircut that has been left long enough on the top for the hair to be styled. In the case of the gentleman below (Spanish actor Mario Casas), his High and Tight hair was left with a messy look but he could have styled it with a hairstyling wax or hairstyling gel easily.

It's important to remember that the High & Tight is a very-low-maintenance men's haircut, so the length on the top of the head must never exceed 2 inches in length, as any longer length on the top would turn the High and Tight cut into and Undercut haircut. Ideally, however, the High and Tight haircut should have the hair on the top of the head shorter than one inch in length, which is hardly long enough to be able to style it into anything other than a flat side part with a hairstyling gel or wax.

Notice how on Mario Casas' High and Tight hairstyle the edges around the hair on the top of the head remain sharp and resembling what we'd call a "jarhead" (i.e. this is the reason for military men with high and tights being called jarheads!).

[Image: mariocasas_gq%2807%29.jpg]

[Image: 8g8bsTR.jpg]

[Image: mariocasas_gq%2805%29.jpg]

[Image: DpaWkiJ.jpg]

[Image: mariocasas_gq%2809%29.jpg]

[Image: 5jzOGjD.jpg]

[Image: mariocasas_gq%2808%29.jpg]

04-25-2015, 11:39 AM
What a great hairstyle is the high and tight. I buzz my own head and it's one of the easiest buzz cut haircuts that you can do. I either buzz it myself as I guide the buzzing by looking on the mirror or one of my sons does the buzzing.

One of my brothers is a Marine and he has had a high and tight ever since he enrolled into the academy. That haircut is like sacred between those guys and the recon haircut is the same with marines. I'm trying to remember one of our drunk conversations but he told me that the recon haircut got its name from the Force Reconnaissance aka Force Recon team which is one of the branches of the Marines. Those guys specialize in reconnaissance missions. Some time back, some of the Force Recon Marine guys would buzz their hair even higher and tighter before a mission and that's how the recon hairstyle trend in the Marines started.

I like the fact that all military haircuts have a purpose behind them. The high and tight is really convenient. I can cut mine in about 6 minutes and all I need is a small glass and only when getting the disconnected line adjusted. We moved to a new town where nobody knows me so I get mistaken for a Marine a lot of times with my high and tight and also since my brother has gotten me military clothing in the past and I'll wear something like a training t-shirt when jogging or when just walking across the park with my younger kids.

My advice to anyone reading this guide is to get a high and tight haircut. You got to do it at last once. It will make you look totally different so if you're tired of your old self then this haircut will freshen up the way you look. And if you're overweight the high and tight haircut will make your face look slimmer and sharper. Good for those of us who've packed on the pounds and we've lost our defined jawlines to a chubby face. It did help me to make my face look sharper.

By the way this is the Force Recon insignia.

[Image: 246px-US_Marine_Corps_Force_Reconnaissan...ia.svg.png]
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What hairstyle suits best! hadiawan 0 77 12-01-2016 12:45 AM
Last Post: hadiawan
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 273 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Haircut fix Pgreene431 1 191 10-28-2016 02:26 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 215 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander