Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Top Fade hairstyle problem with hair staying up
04-23-2015, 08:01 AM
High Top Fade hairstyle problem with hair staying up
I'm having issues keeping my high top fade to stay up, I have typical African afro hair (kinky curly I think) and I blow dry my hair with a powerpik everyday to straighten it out. Recently however, it doesn't style up the length I want it to and sometimes I have to blow dry it up to four times to achieve the height I like.
When I use conditioners it causes my hair to curl up and so reduce in volume so I tend to not use them.
What are the best ways to grow up a high top fade and also achieve top volume after blow drying using a powerpik?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Either stop straightening your hair or use strong-hold hairstyle products for men!
The problem is being caused precisely because of the hair straightening that you're doing with the hair dryer.

The best hair type for a High Top Fade hairstyle (or for a long Flat Top) is, in fact, kinky curly hair (i.e. your natural hair type). When kinky curly hair is straightened (even via the blow-drying method that you're using), you're breaking the coiled shape of the hair and are thus losing the vertical length that comes from the tiny coils in kinky curly hair piling on top of each other.

You pretty much have 2 solutions: either stop straightening your hair and grow your hair (on the top of your head) much longer or keep straightening your hair but use strong-hold hairstyling products to keep the hair vertical and up in your High Top Fade.

Growing your hair long for a curly High Top Fade:

Kinky curly hair takes the longest to show the length that it has grown to because the coils shorten the visible length of the hair strands/locks. This means that, depending on how high you want your High Top Fade to be, you could be looking at 6 to 12 months of continuous hair growth (i.e. no trimming or cutting of the hair on the top).

If you choose to grow your hair long and stop straightening your hair, do continue to then use a conditioner and try to ramp up its use to at last 3 times per week. You can continue using your hair dryer to achieve extra volume on your High Top, but only use your fingers to style your hair and use a strong hold wax or hair gel to keep the hair vertical and up.

For good strong-hold waxes, have a look at this Gatsby hair wax list from Jurgen and choose any of the strong hold waxes (i.e. choose either the second, third or fourth Gatsby wax that he listed in that linked post).

For good strong-hold hair styling gels, go through the following linked list on some of the best hair gels for men that are currently available and choose any of the ones that have a strong hold (the Mohawk hair gel in the list would be perfect for your case).

Note that on both lists of products (Gatsby hair wax and hair gel), you can choose the hair wax or hair gel with different degrees of shine. Thus, you can choose any of these hair waxes and hair gels for your curly High Top Fade so as to give you a shinier or less-shinier finish!

Keep straightening your hair and use strong hold products:

Now, if you'd rather keep straightening your hair for your High Top Fade, then you're going to need some extra oomph to keep your High Top up and vertical. What this means is that you will need to start using a good hair spray.

Essentially, pick your hair wax or hair gel from the linked list above according to how much shine you want your High Top Fade to have. Then, once you have straightened your hair with the hair dryer and styled your hair up with your chosen hair wax or hair gel, you grab the hair spray and spray the bottle from about a foot away from your hair. Use as much as needed, but anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds of hair spraying (making sure that all your hair is sprayed) is enough.

For a good range of hair sprays to buy, have a look at this thread on hair sprays for men where I list the different hair sprays that are very useful to men and which provide different finishes on hair.

I do recommend that you still use a conditioner at least once a week or once every 2 weeks so as to provide some moisture retention to your hair. All that hair drying and straightening takes a toll on your hair, and conditioners help to keep the hair strands lubricated and protected. There's no need to spend a fortune on a conditioner, and, a great conditioner that we recommend in this forum is the Agadir conditioner which can be found in this recommended men's hair products post under the section labeled as "best conditioner".

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How long to grow medium afro hairstyle for wavy hair? R.mendez099 1 390 07-30-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: PrettyboiJ21
  Advice needed for wavy frizzy hair and what hairstyle products to use polyneikos 6 2,952 01-23-2016 06:49 AM
Last Post: jmkill17
  How do I get this hairstyle Johnmp832 0 812 11-08-2015 05:21 PM
Last Post: Johnmp832
  How to get wavy hairstyle without frizz and flyaway hairs AnyOrifice 1 785 09-24-2015 11:42 AM
Last Post: AnyOrifice