Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
High Top Fade Haircut Guide - How To, Pictures, Products and More
09-27-2014, 01:50 PM
High Top Fade Haircut Guide - How To, Pictures, Products and More
This is our guide on the High Top Fade haircut. The High Top Fade is a mens haircut that was very popular in the 1980s amongst black men. Nowadays, the High Top Fade, also known as a Hi Top, is becoming popular once more thanks to the likes of Nerlens Noel's Hi Top and Iman Shupert's Flat Top.

About the High Top Fade

First of all, the High Top Fade is a haircut that can only be done in tightly-curled hair, or, as we call it in our hair type guide, kinky curly hair. Such a hair type and texture is common among black men but it can also be expressed in men of other racial backgrounds.

The hair needs to be very tightly curled for a Hi Top because the hair is cut and shaped so that it stands up on its own. Thus, the only hair type that is capable of standing up on its own is the kinky curly hair type. This explains the popularity of the High Top fade as a black men haircut as the kinky curly hair type is common among black men.

Here is a great illustration of the High Top Fade and how it can be customized as per one's preference.

[Image: 15584062aa7b23710782f9edebcd9d15.jpg]

The High Top Fade started as a barbershop haircut whereby the hair was cut and shaped creatively and customized to the user's preference. As you will read later on in this guide on how to do a High Top Fade haircut, the hair is cut so that it stands "high" on the top, while the sides and back are done in a "high" fade. Fade haircuts have always been a popular haircut among the African American community in the United States, and the High Top Fade is a creative spin off from the regular fade haircut.

Pictures of the High Top Fade haircut

As said, the Hi Top is one creative haircut. It comes in a range of lengths and shapes, and much of the haircut's allure is in the customization that it offers. Guys like Big Daddy Kane and Will Smith popularized the High Top Fade on TV, but the haircut's popularity died in the mid-1990s. The Hi Top's popularity has picked up once again, so let's see if we help popularize the High Top Fade again with this guide Smile

Here are plenty of pictures of the High Top Fade haircut. Don't forget to continue reading below and read on to the next post as I will outline how to do a High Top Fade.

[Image: 0be528252b9aa01842e8b5303a92e7dd.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_mb1j8jjS4K1r01s07o1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nbi7xtMt581ryqgguo1_500.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_la6te0bFm61qajugo.jpg]

[Image: b242c81596f2cd0e2cdeffbc7030c839.jpg]

[Image: b4abb84e084877c2700fc1bbff0602e6.jpg]

[Image: 3b020443086a996c238fc0d95c56a9b3.jpg]

[Image: d723881b4f3f36330c9204ec48dd0b11.jpg]

[Image: c7495e405dc311e2ada222000a9f3cf6_7.jpg]

[Image: d68e27945dbb11e2b7d622000a1f968a_7.jpg]

[Image: 3a0f69a45dc611e2901022000a9e13ab_7.jpg]

[Image: b9603a1e5dc411e2a47422000a9e28eb_7.jpg]

[Image: 917144_268337670016016_1333534059_n.jpg]

[Image: iman.jpg]

[Image: DJ_Jazzy_WillSmith.jpg]

[Image: na9xF8H.jpg]

[Image: 045-jazzy-jeff-fresh-prince-1355329344.jpg]

[Image: article-2216135-009D4BE51000044C-769_634x445.jpg]

[Image: 10413159_667084549994618_139914685_n.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_maogbcCoOk1r7pynxo1_500.jpg]

[Image: Screen%2Bshot%2B2012-01-31%2Bat%2B11.12.40%2BAM.png]

[Image: k0BIAkF.jpg]

[Image: 513px-Hi-top_fade.jpg]

[Image: 4544b1a01d3e1d69a0165bb77a8ad467.jpg]

[Image: ab89e5b76213a7157f6784360b770ff4.jpg]

[Image: 044db5ed7e716c10fb165d8572c5c150.jpg]

High Top Fade Guide continues below!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2014, 01:51 PM
High Top Fade tutorial.
Guide continued below.

How to do a High Top Fade haircut

A High Top Fade incorporates two steps as a haircut. First, the hair on the top of the head is cut at a medium to long length, so anywhere between 2 to 6 inches in length (length varies depending on your preference). Once the hair is cut to the user's preference, the hair on the top is then clipped horizontally at the tips so that the top is left as a flat surface, or sometimes as a slightly curved surface (concave or convex).

The sides and back of the head are done as a high fade where the hair is faded to skin high on the scalp. Thus, the name comes from the "high fade" and the "high" top (since the hair on the top stands up and high).

I highly recommend that you get your High Top Fade (at least your first one) done by a skilled barber. Just the high fade alone takes plenty of skill, so you really want to be in the right hands when it comes to fading your sides and back of the head.

You can, however, buy a hair clipper and retouch the surface of the hair on the top of the head. Simply grab your hair clipper and pass it through the top's surface as you look into the mirror and proceed with the shaping of the surface to your own preference. Read below on the hair products section for which hair clippers we recommend.

The pictures below are of the actual shaping of a Hi Top fade haircut. See how in the first picture the barber is shaping the top's surface with the hair clipper (this you can do yourself with your own hair clipper).

[Image: 10413150_651159421626029_1602876116_n.jpg]

[Image: 1516368_807384565956725_752019012_n.jpg]

[Image: 10251410_225548650977952_1090845876_n.jpg]

[Image: ae566e388c63287cfb86537c52cd8752.jpg]

Hair products for the High Top Fade

You will need a high-quality hair clipper to retouch your Hi Top, and you will also need a good hairstyling product to keep the texture and shape of the hair on the top. Likewise, you can use a good hair dryer to enhance the volume of the hair on the top, although a hair dryer is an optional hair product for the High Top Fade.

Get the following products (see them on each link):

- Get THIS cordless hair clipper: this cordless hair clipper in the link is among the few cordless hair clippers that are worth buying. This one is an extremely powerful and heavy-duty hair clipper that will be with you for years and that will never fail you. It also comes with everything you need in a hair clipper, so once you buy it and have it at home (in a couple of days from the vendor in the link), you are ready to start shaping your Hi Top or clipping any other haircut you want.

- Get THIS hair clipper: this hair clipper in the link is corded (i.e. it is not cordless and it needs to be plugged to work), hence the price is lower than the cordless hair clipper above. However, this corded hair clipper in the link is a very powerful and heavy duty clipper that is worth every penny you pay for. This hair clipper and the cordless hair clipper in the first link are the top ones that you can get and they will last you years.

Either of the 2 hair clippers in the 2 links above will work great for your Hi Top and for any other haircuts you want to give yourself. We do as a matter of fact, recommend everyone to own a hair clipper as it is a hairstyling tool that will save you money down the road as you don't have to visit the barber or hair salon for simple re-touching work (which you can give yourself in minutes with any of these 2 hair clippers!).

- Get THIS hair gel: this hair gel in the link will allow you to shape your hair any way you like it and have it stay like that all day long. Just use a couple of fingertip amounts and style your hair up while damp. That's it. You can, however, use a hair dryer (see below) to enhance the final shape that you choose with this hair gel. Simply point the hair dryer to your hair as you style your hair up with the hair gel.

- Get THIS hairstyling cream: if you want to enhance the curly shape of your Hi Top, then get the hairstyling cream in the link. Simply use it on damp hair. If you can use a hair dryer (see below) as you apply the hairstyling cream to your hair, even better, as you will get a big style top with plenty of definition and shape!

- Get THIS hair dryer: this is without a doubt the best hair dryer for men. It is awesome to define curly hair as it creates no frizz (frizz is something most hair dryers create as a side effect). The technology used by the hair dryer in the link allows you to enhance any hairstyle you want (including a Hi Top) while taming any frizz, improving the definition of your curls and drying your hair faster and without damaging it. It is not a cheap hair dryer, but it is one that is very much worth its price.

- Get THIS hair spray: finally, this hair spray in the link is the icing on the cake to a High Top. You can use this hair spray to fix the hairstyle you achieve and have it fixed the whole day long, or you can use this hair spray without any hair products. If you choose the latter, simply style your hair up with your fingers without any products when your hair is damp, then use the hair spray by spraying it over the hair on the top of the head from a distance of about a foot. Simply try to spray all the hair on the top of the head (will take a few seconds only) and you are set!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
10-15-2014, 02:03 PM
RE: High Top Fade Haircut Guide - How To, Pictures, Products and More
Hell yeah this is a good guide. Swag hairstyle no less. Not easy to do. Similar to 360 waves to maintain the hairstyle. So that means its pain in the u know where.
Question time... what if we get a regular fade for the hi top fade?? or maybe a low fade?? I see this haircut done in the barbershop all times but the one thing is you just cannot have the same hi top as the next dude. Always gotta be different in something. Seen some folks go as far as bleaching the hi top fade for what?? crazy.

Next question is what is the minimum length for a hi top fade?? talking of the top hair length. Was it 2 inches or can it be shorter with a barber who can cut a decent hi top fade?
04-24-2015, 02:00 AM
I have an issue where if my hair gets wet after blow drying it using a PowerPik hair dryer, my hair curls up and reduces in volume.
i also struggle sometimes to achieve the volume in my high top that I want and have to blowdry a couple of times to get the best results

What is the best way to straighten out kinky curls and maintaining it?
04-24-2015, 09:03 AM
(04-24-2015 02:00 AM)volaream Wrote:  I have an issue where if my hair gets wet after blow drying it using a PowerPik hair dryer, my hair curls up and reduces in volume.
i also struggle sometimes to achieve the volume in my high top that I want and have to blowdry a couple of times to get the best results

What is the best way to straighten out kinky curls and maintaining it?

Are you looking to straighten your kinks or make your curls looser, like wavy hair? I just posted a detailed post recommending a good product to make kinky afro hair into smooth long waves so you may be interested in it. This type of product is called a texturizer & it makes your hair wavy permanently.

Have a look at this post detailing the texturizer I recommend as this product could be very useful for you & is for men just as it i for women too. You can also use another product called a relaxer but a relaxer is more damaging on the hair as it makes your hair completely straight instead of just wavy & smooth. A relaxer is what many African American women use to keep their hair straight & a texturizer is what many black guys around the world use to keep their really curly hair looking like it's wavy & smoother.

For your case I would seriously recommend a texturizer over a relaxer. Wavy hair has more volume than straight hair so you will benefit more from a product that makes your hair wavy - see the texturizer that I recommend in the post I linked. It's the best texturizer that you can get & it's very cheap! Smile
05-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the reply. I want to increase volume by loosening curls but I don't want to the texture of my hair to look like I have relaxed it i.e. I still want my hair to look like an afro not curly. How long should I leave the texturiser in my hair to achieve this?
05-26-2015, 07:26 AM
A texturizer for curly hair men should be used for 15 minutes on the hair.
Quote:How long should I leave the texturiser in my hair to achieve this?

Use the texturizer for 15 minutes, which means to simply apply it to your hair (i.e. coat it with the texturizer) for 15 minutes and then you rinse it out. Texturizers are much milder than relaxers, so you will only be achieving looser curls with a texturizer. You will still have coiled curly hair, meaning that it will look like an Afro hairstyle if that's what you want, or it will also look like a High Top Fade if you get the sides and back of your Afro faded.

04-02-2016, 03:48 PM
When I tried to get this done at the barber shop, they cut it too low and now my hair is a mess, also I lost my pick and I am stuck with using a regular comb. I am in a crisis. What should I do?
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 624,822 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice Alex 36 250,964 08-07-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: AlexVI
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,164 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 111,869 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight