Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi!
05-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Hi!
Ive been reading here for quite some time, because ive started
To grow my hair out! (6.5 inches so far)
My goal is to have healthy shoulder lenght hair.
I always wanted long hair, but i guess i never had the balls or the
Patience haha. Anyway im from Switzerland, 28 years old, and i play guitar in a little unknown
Rock band! Hope to have a good time here!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: Hi!
Welcome!

I love how we are getting more and more long hair dudes and long hair "wannabes" (in the good sense i.e. you are growing your hair to get there Smile). We are building a community of people who simply have an interest in their hair and how the look (e.g. facial hair, body hair etc). We have a good number of long hair dudes in the forum already and they usually hang out in the long hair section which I saw already that you posted in.

According to our hair length guide, you already have long hair (6 inches). However, for shoulder length hair you will need anywhere from 10 to 20 inches depending on your hair type. Have a look at our hair type guide to know what is your hair type. Usually length and hair type is what we identify ourselves with here.

Lastly, if you haven't already, have a look at The Men's Hair Book in the link. It is the best reading you can do for everything about your hair (including hair care). It is written by Rogelio of Manly Curls, which, since you have long hair you have probably heard of him Smile If not check him out in his about page, or, better check him out on a experiment he did on his hair (I think he was like 2 months without using products or something like that Big Grin)

His video page http://www.youtube.com/user/manlycurlsDOTcom

He is not your typical beautiful Banana Republic wannabe (in fact, he can probably lift four of them over his head Big Grin). Anyway, you're not alone in your quest for shoulder length and you're very welcome here ! (plus Rogelio does post in this forum sometimes)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-06-2014, 03:13 AM
Thanks alot for the warm welcome and the suggestet tipps and links!
I myself have quite some information about what it needs, cause im kind of a read, think and try guy.
So far im pretty satisfied how my hair has developed.
I wash hair most of the time with water only.(maybe shampoo once a week, and condition as needed)
I have straight hair, but as its been growing it became quite wavy. Im going for some kind of a russell brand hairstyle, like wavy down, hanging loose and not overstyled.
Sometimes i get it quite close when i use some moroccanoil styling cream on damp hair, crunch the ends with my fingers, Blowdry on a cold setting, and then let it airdry. But you know... Bad hair day sometimesWink
05-06-2014, 07:00 AM
(05-06-2014 03:13 AM)Migu85 Wrote:  Thanks alot for the warm welcome and the suggestet tipps and links!
I myself have quite some information about what it needs, cause im kind of a read, think and try guy.
So far im pretty satisfied how my hair has developed.
I wash hair most of the time with water only.(maybe shampoo once a week, and condition as needed)
I have straight hair, but as its been growing it became quite wavy. Im going for some kind of a russell brand hairstyle, like wavy down, hanging loose and not overstyled.
Sometimes i get it quite close when i use some moroccanoil styling cream on damp hair, crunch the ends with my fingers, Blowdry on a cold setting, and then let it airdry. But you know... Bad hair day sometimesWink

Actually, what you're doing is called "scrunching" where you aim to enhance the curls by holding them up in your palms (without pulling!), and this is best done by leaning down and forward so the hair hangs down. Instead of Moroccan oil though, I recommend a styling mousse to enhance any wavy effect of your hair.

Moroccanoil styling cream is great for taming frizz and giving a nice softly-defined effect to long hair, and we actually recommend this Moroccanoil moisturizing styling cream. However, in your case, you want to use a styling hair mousse for enhancing the curliness (i.e. making your hair wavier). A really good styling mousse is this styling mousse. For what is worth, using a hair mousse like that one in the link is similar to using any styling cream, the only difference is that you just push the top of the bottle to get the mousse foam out. You then apply the mousse foam to coat your damp locks and then blow dry (with previous scrunching if you want too).

You can also usually tell the hair type of a male when his hair is long. When the hair is short, we all have a tendency to pull it in order to style it into X hairstyle, which means that any wavy hair will be temporarily straightened (this, however, won't occur with coiled curly hair, unless you use a super extra-strong hair gel and pull your coils hard Big Grin).

Now that you have mentioned that scrunching method, I'm actually going to make a thread on the hairstyle video section about it. Going to search for a good Youtube video demonstrating the scrunching method, and females with wavy to coiled curly hair tend to have great styling videos themselves. The method is very easy, just like you and I have mentioned in our replies, but I'm still going to search for a video to post in the video section.

And don't worry about " bad" hair days, we all get them Wink

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Yeah! You are totally right, and its funny, because im still changing back to mousse from time to time!
Thanks alot for your advice, and i woould love to see som videos too, because i was searching youtube about it, but couldnt find any good... Girls just talk too much there haha Wink
05-06-2014, 09:07 AM
(05-06-2014 08:06 AM)Migu85 Wrote:  Yeah! You are totally right, and its funny, because im still changing back to mousse from time to time!
Thanks alot for your advice, and i woould love to see som videos too, because i was searching youtube about it, but couldnt find any good... Girls just talk too much there haha Wink

LOL at the bolded part. It's true though, many videos by females go into the 10+ minutes, although they are amateur videos and the ladies do genuinely want to help so they talk and talk. If you have a trained eye to skipping video lengths to the right part of the video, you will do fine. Incidentally, the videos I have seen of men and of men's hair are pretty poor in terms of actual advice, including the styling videos by so called experts and "gurus".

Anyway, you're in the right place! Since this is just a thread for introduction, please feel free to open a thread to keep us updated with your hair growth and how you fare with longer hair (if you want to open a thread, that is). We have a new section about hair journeys and we encourage forum members who want to get good feedback and advice to open a thread there so that we can keep track of their progress and provide the best feedback possible. Some astonishing results have been had by members already Smile (and we are proud of that!)

Yes, styling mousse for the win! The issue with a styling cream is that it will weigh the hair down, which is an issue if you're trying to get a wavy effect. Instead, hair mousse is a very light product itself so it not only will accentuate your waves but also NOT weigh your hair down, which can be quite convenient especially by the time your mane reaches shoulder length.

I would say that, if your hair doesn't hang down naturally (i.e. without hair products), then use the styling cream to weigh the hair down if you want your locks to be dangling. Otherwise, if you prefer your hair to be wavier and more "fixed", then hair mousse is the better hairstyling product option.

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------