Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with styling
07-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Help with styling
Iv'e always been inspired by that nice pompadourish/brushed to the side hairstyle, but I'm just not sure if my hair likes it. Iv'e used cremes, waxes, pomades, mousses and still cannot get the look. Is there something that i'm missing or does my bone straight hair just not agree with it? I like to keep my hair soft without a lot of buildup and grease in it.

P.S. I have a round face and would like to keep an asymmetrical style. If all else fails, is there anything trendy that can be done?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2014, 12:42 PM
RE: Help with styling
Weird that you've tried the different styling agents and still cannot get the look, but maybe it is not the product. Perhaps you can't post a step by step routine of how you style it, and someone here can probably provide some solutions to try. Also, what is it about the look you have having trouble achieving?
07-29-2014, 01:26 PM
(07-29-2014 12:42 PM)B2stMode Wrote:  Weird that you've tried the different styling agents and still cannot get the look, but maybe it is not the product. Perhaps you can't post a step by step routine of how you style it, and someone here can probably provide some solutions to try. Also, what is it about the look you have having trouble achieving?

The problem I'm having is getting my hair to somewhat stay up in the front and lay down toward the back. I wish I could post a picture but I am unable to provide a link. However, this is my routine.

1. wash hair every other day: do sebum coating on off days/condition on shampoo days.
2. T-shirt dry hair
3. leave in conditioner on off days
4. apply matte finishing wax while hair is slightly damp with fingers.
5. That's it!

Am I styling wrongly or do I need to do something different? I want a natural slightly messy pompadour or brushed to side style. Although, every time I style it just falls over looking like just a combover :/
07-29-2014, 05:24 PM
(07-29-2014 01:26 PM)udm1192 Wrote:  
(07-29-2014 12:42 PM)B2stMode Wrote:  Weird that you've tried the different styling agents and still cannot get the look, but maybe it is not the product. Perhaps you can't post a step by step routine of how you style it, and someone here can probably provide some solutions to try. Also, what is it about the look you have having trouble achieving?

The problem I'm having is getting my hair to somewhat stay up in the front and lay down toward the back. I wish I could post a picture but I am unable to provide a link. However, this is my routine.

1. wash hair every other day: do sebum coating on off days/condition on shampoo days.
2. T-shirt dry hair
3. leave in conditioner on off days
4. apply matte finishing wax while hair is slightly damp with fingers.
5. That's it!

Am I styling wrongly or do I need to do something different? I want a natural slightly messy pompadour or brushed to side style. Although, every time I style it just falls over looking like just a combover :/

Have you tried using a hair dryer?

After you coat your hair with product, be it wax or pomade or anything else, try using a hair dryer. Use the hair dryer to direct the front of your hair upwards while simultaneously styling with your comb or fingers. That should help you get some height on the pompadour that will hold that way. Be sure to only keep the heat on each section for about 3-5 seconds at a time to avoid damaging your hair. If you plan to use the hair dryer often, take precaution by first applying a heat protectant.

If you haven't read it yet, this thread has many suggestions for the best products to use ranging from your styling agent to your hair dryer.
07-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks a ton! I went for the hair dryer (following the mens hair book doesn't recommend them), but I realized a huge difference in the style. I ended up parting to the right and above the pupil because for some reason it gave much more volume and natural flow. However, my hair got considerably dry and course feeling from this.
07-31-2014, 09:06 AM
hmm i think u may try to use hair spray product after applying wax to ur hair since many barbers told me hair spray is the thing to maintain ur hairstyle
07-31-2014, 09:13 AM

Hi B2stMode,
i also currently have trouble with finding a hairstyle myself. could u give my some suggestions?Blush

I have an oblong face which is suitable for many hairstyle according to barbers. however, my high forehead and straight hair don't agree so. Confused i have a M hairline which forecasts that i'm gonna be bald.

Hope u could help me out since i've looked for a nice haircut for a decade without any positive result.
I know it's a hard case Wink , still keep up my hope Smile
08-02-2014, 07:53 AM
(07-31-2014 09:13 AM)Crumbling Wrote:  Hi B2stMode,
i also currently have trouble with finding a hairstyle myself. could u give my some suggestions?Blush

I have an oblong face which is suitable for many hairstyle according to barbers. however, my high forehead and straight hair don't agree so. Confused i have a M hairline which forecasts that i'm gonna be bald.

Hope u could help me out since i've looked for a nice haircut for a decade without any positive result.

I'm no expert, but I can always lend an opinion.
What type cut are you thinking? Any certain styles you like or want to try? Hard to just suggest a style out of so many possibilities lol
08-02-2014, 08:23 AM
(08-02-2014 07:53 AM)B2stMode Wrote:  
(07-31-2014 09:13 AM)Crumbling Wrote:  Hi B2stMode,

I'm no expert, but I can always lend an opinion.
What type cut are you thinking? Any certain styles you like or want to try? Hard to just suggest a style out of so many possibilities lol

well i want to keep my fringe a bit long so it can cover my high forehead and the side should be short to keep up with nowaday fashion trend. that's the only 2 requirements from me Smile. otherthings i'm not really sure what to do with my hair Sad
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help with styling products for Caesar haircut - Hayden Cassidy hairstyle KIERANHIN95 1 358 07-01-2016 06:59 AM
Last Post: KIERANHIN95
  What to do with poofy asian hair? Straight hair styling problems Lutas 6 55,671 02-11-2016 12:57 PM
Last Post: AntonD
  Hair woes and issues when styling short hairstyle evenly Aatrohair 0 525 07-21-2015 07:58 AM
Last Post: Aatrohair
  Styling quiff with hair dryer Anton 4 4,556 08-03-2014 01:34 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum