Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Straight Hair Sticking Out
04-19-2015, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 05:56 PM by Jacob.)
Help with Straight Hair Sticking Out
Hey guys,

I basically do a side part, with the hair on the top being 4-5 inches, but I get the sides and back shaved all the way up the sides (no tapering) so there's a dramatic disconnect between the top and the sides/back. An issue I've always had is that as the hair on the sides/back grows, it just puffs outward instead of falling down, creating just a really unappealing look unless I get very frequent haircuts to keep it hyper short all the time. It seems to be a trait that Asians tend to have if their hair is shorter than an inch.

I was wondering if there's a product out there that would relax it and weigh it downward so that it isn't sticking straight out, or if I'm perhaps handling it wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2015, 03:36 PM
RE: Help with Straight Hair Sticking Out
I'd say go for pomade. Seems to work.
04-22-2015, 06:39 AM
To stop straight hair from puffing, you need more hair length or more products.
Jacob, it's absolutely normal to have straight hair sticking out rather than laying flat. As a matter of fact, short straight hair is notorious for this hairstyling issue. In essence, you have 2 options to get your hair flattened rather than have it sticking up.

Hair length:

Straight hair needs at the very least 2 inches to stop sticking up. Even then, your natural hair thickness will play an important role in how your hair stands up as you grow your hair long. The thicker your hair is, the more it will stand up despite consciously growing your hair longer.

I would suggest that you aim for 3 inches of hair length if you want your hair to be flat and look good in a side part hairstyle. In fact, the sidepart style benefits from even longer lengths, and you could just as easily grow your hair longer to 4 inches.

Hair products:

If you want your hair to lay flat with your current hair length, then you will need a strong hold hair product for men. I agree with a strong hold pomade being a great hair product for straight hair overall, and it's also a great product to keep the hair flattened and not have it stick up again.

Have a look at this Layrite water-based pomade review from Jurgen as he reviewed one of the pomades from Layrite that have a strong hold but which are also easy to clean. That particular pomade has a high shine and slicked texture, which is great for the Side Swept style!

Jurgen also posted a good vendor from which to buy the reviewed Layrite pomade if you're interested in getting it.

Another product that will help a lot in keeping your hair flat is a hair styling wax with a strong hold too. Such types of styling waxes allow your to shape and define your hair with some shine but without the slicked look of the pomade.

Have a look at this list of Gatsby hair styling waxes from Jurgen in which he goes through some of their best styling waxes and which include a styling wax with a very strong hold. I suggest that you get the Gatsby hair wax labeled as being for a maximum hold as that one will do the job greatly for you. If you'd like some shine in your hair and also a powerful hold to keep your hair side parted without sticking up, then you can also get the Gatsby hair wax in that post labeled as being for a strong hold with some shine.

Lastly, you have the hair styling gels. The problem with most strong-hold styling gels is that they tend to leave your hair sticky and stiff, so you have to do some smart shopping for a good styling gel.

I recommend that you go through our hair gel guide with recommended styling gels and get either the Mohawk styling gel or the Short Sexy hair gel. Either of those two will perform as needed and will keep your hair flattened. Plus they're relatively affordable styling gels, even though they're better styling gels than the rest of the more-expensive styling gels! Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New hairstyle for straight hair - Quiff or long hairstyles? Wayne Baskin 0 153 09-23-2016 09:22 AM
Last Post: Wayne Baskin
  Hair Too Straight! Natural Comb Over Impossible??!!!! StraightHairProblems 0 260 09-06-2016 03:15 AM
Last Post: StraightHairProblems
  Problem With Straight,Thick Black Hair Sertinjo 0 810 03-20-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Straight, thick, black hair virtualmonger 0 621 03-15-2016 05:44 PM
Last Post: virtualmonger