Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me chose
06-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Help me chose
Hello folks, I introduced myself earlier in the proper section so I ll keep things simple here. Recently got a new haircut and now I m trying to build some length and volume, my target is medium or maybe a little less. Any help on choosing the right for my face haircut and style appreciated! Also help me identify the type, thickness etc. I have no idea.

Here are some with different hairstyles. I did the haircut myself in all of them, I m not a pro, just experimenting Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2014, 02:45 PM
RE: Help me chose
And thats how I look atm, theres some pomade left otherwise my hair looks like a "sponge", a texture-less mass. Especially after blow drying.
06-09-2014, 09:38 AM
I messed it up a bit with the photos but here we go.
Those are 2 older ones, with hair I cut myself:
[Image: F6ABisi.jpg]
[Image: cxik7d4.jpg]

And thats how I look now (there is a little pomade left on my hair):
[Image: BgqZVj3.jpg]
[Image: yJK0drf.jpg]

I think I have wavy to coiled hair but I m not so sure. Used to have long coiled hair as a child but its been a long time since then and they became more straight by the time.
Looking for something new atm, I m not afraid to pull something fancy and as a guitarist I ll need a cool image on stage. The only length I dont consider is long, summer is coming and its hot where I live. Any help appreciated guys!
06-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Yes, your case is one where it is not clear whether it is coiled or wavy. One extra inch of length would help to finally tell conclusively what type it is. However, don't stress too much about hair type as it is usually knowing whether you have curly hair (i.e. wavy, coiled or kinky) or straight hair what matters most, and in your case we know for sure you don't have straight hair, so that's a good start.

I can see you definitively with a Recon haircut. The Recon suits men with curly hair very well as well as men with dark hair who also have olive to tanned skin. Have a look at our military haircuts discussion with lots of military hairstyles pictures, of which you can see some other like you like. However, as a guitarist you certainly need a hairstyle that makes you stand out, and the Recon will do that very wheel.

With the recon, you shave all of your hair except for a landing strip on the top of your head. Not exactly a mohawk as the landing strip is very short too (about 1/4 inch or half a centimeter long). Here are some pictures of the Recon, let me know what you think. First picture is Mark Salling's hair in a Recon haircut (guy on the left at the top).

[Image: Glee_cast.jpg]

[Image: Mark-Golden-Globes-mark-salling-18536897-877-1222.jpg]

[Image: 0kN5jyG.jpg]

[Image: Noah_Puckerman.png]

[Image: tumblr_n6la6kLHMb1rxurfso1_500.jpg]

[Image: gWGNTtk.jpg]

[Image: Jerome+Boateng+AC+Milan+v+FC+Internazion...YW0ixl.jpg]

[Image: andrew-shaylor-hells-angels-13.jpg]

[Image: 8hWay88.jpg]

[Image: 800px-Mark_Salling.jpg]

In this last picture, Mark Salling is wearing a short mohawk, which is also a rockstar haircut that you can consider too!

[Image: mark-salling-large-picture.jpg]

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks for your input Tmhf. I like Recon and I used to have it for some time. A short mohawk too. Now that my hair got a bit longer I don' t feel like cutting it down. Maybe letting grow for an inch or two is a good idea? Never had longer since 10 years and I m kinda eager to try new stuff.
I want to take care of them and see how it goes. Once they get healthy and stronger I m thinking of an undercut/high fade and messy or slightly slicked back on the top.

I like my hair after shower and I wish it stayed like this and then style them a bit.
[Image: 5hDMpF6.jpg] [Image: 6aLuJuz.jpg]

But after it gets dry becomes super frizzy. Maybe a moisture shampoo/conditioner as the ones your recommend would help the situation? And then what product should I get to give a little separation?

Btw I m growing a beard, thinking of a short boxed one. I like this style below so much, the hair too:
[Image: o7ioQmp.jpg]
06-12-2014, 09:01 AM
I can totally see you with the short boxed beard. In fact, you also commented in the King Leonidas beard thread who also has a short boxed beard.

I would actually see you with a clipper taper where the sides and back of your head are clipped short gradually so that they meet the length of your length. So, if your beard is 1/4 inch long (or 0.5 centimeters), then you would want your taper on the sides and back of the head to be clipped to 0.5 centimeters at the hairline of the sideburns, ears and nape. That way, it looks like the hair on the sides of your face connects harmoniously with your beard. It's actually a pretty cool facial hairstyle like that, something like this:

[Image: 2c063c1975626e495590e949cc492938.jpg]

We also have a lot of hairstyles and beards pictures in the link with examples of different hairstyles suiting a full beard or short boxed beard look. You could also get a very short Undercut too, but then the hair on the sides of your head would be really short and would make a strong contrast with your beard (you may like this or you may not like this).

An Undercut with a beard picture would be this one below. Notice the contrast between hair on sides of the face and beard (beard is longer in length).

[Image: 85b7af0d69479242b56541bbee4da452.jpg]

If you're interested in the Mohawk, but not a regular Mohawk but just a short Mohawk, then go with the picture I posted earlier that looks like a Recon:

[Image: IY6hau7.jpg]

The same line of hair on the head above of this guy also goes down the back of his head to meet the nape (neck). Or you would just have that strip of hair on the top of your head only.

I really can see you with a Recon, taper haircut on the sides, Undercut or a short Mohawk, any of these haircuts with a short boxed beard. Guaranteed to get female attention!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-12-2014, 09:18 AM
(06-12-2014 09:01 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I really can see you with a Recon, taper haircut on the sides, Undercut or a short Mohawk, any of these haircuts with a short boxed beard. Guaranteed to get female attention!

Always so helpful mate! I m going to bring the 1st photo you posted to my barber. Its my favorite by far. I only worry about my hair strength, they are in bad form. I should w8 for the no shampoo method to take effect, the conditioner etc. And maybe I have to straighten them a bit and see how it goes before the cut.
06-12-2014, 10:10 AM
(06-12-2014 09:18 AM)ReapeR Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 09:01 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  I really can see you with a Recon, taper haircut on the sides, Undercut or a short Mohawk, any of these haircuts with a short boxed beard. Guaranteed to get female attention!

Always so helpful mate! I m going to bring the 1st photo you posted to my barber. Its my favorite by far. I only worry about my hair strength, they are in bad form. I should w8 for the no shampoo method to take effect, the conditioner etc. And maybe I have to straighten them a bit and see how it goes before the cut.

Hey, our pleasure!

Yes, go by the book, use the methods etc but don't straighten your hair just yet! Your hair looks to be wavy (inside the curly texture) and your hair will get even stronger and glossier by following the methods in The Men's Hair Book, including the No Shampoo method. So don't worry about your hair strength, it will actually increase (especially if you also follow the nutrition suggestions in the book like having a bit more protein every day if you don't have a protein rich diet).

Keep doing the methods and using the products you purchased. All you have to do is get that haircut which you like in the picture. What you can do first however, is to first grow your short boxed beard to your desired length and THEN get the haircut so that your barber or hairdresser can do the cool taper effect so your sideburns become the connection point between the hair on the sides of the head and your beard.

The one thing you will need if you want to keep that look is a beard trimmer. We have discussed beard trimmers in the past, including in this beard trimmer discussion where different beard trimmers and electric shavers were discussed. One trimmer that has had great feedback in our forum is this beard trimmer which comes with a suctioning device so all trimmed hairs are aspired into the vacuum so you don't make a mess trimming your beard! The price of that beard trimmer is very good and I believe they ship to Greece (if they don't, let me know here in this thread and I will give you good alternatives to that beard trimmer too).

Facial hair (i.e. beard) grows very fast too and in similar fashion to scalp hair. So after 2 to 3 weeks, your short boxed beard would be getting too bulky and not as aesthetic as the shorter version that you originally had, and that's where a beard trimmer becomes so useful! It allows you to trim your beard as frequently as you like and to always keep the beard length you like. If you're going to go with the beard plus hairstyle in the picture I mentioned, then you would want to get that beard trimmer in the link above (or similar) to ensure that you keep the look for the long term. However, you have some products on your way already, so first enjoy those! Big Grin Then, once you are ready to get taper haircut, order the beard trimmer (if you want to keep the look) as the trimmer will take 1 to 2 weeks to arrive, and by then you will want to do a fast trim for your beard to maintain the look.

P.S. And don't forget to post pictures of your progression!

06-12-2014, 10:24 AM
(06-12-2014 10:10 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Hey, our pleasure!

Yes, go by the book, use the methods etc but don't straighten your hair just yet! Your hair looks to be wavy (inside the curly texture) and your hair will get even stronger and glossier by following the methods in The Men's Hair Book, including the No Shampoo method. So don't worry about your hair strength, it will actually increase (especially if you also follow the nutrition suggestions in the book like having a bit more protein every day if you don't have a protein rich diet).

Keep doing the methods and using the products you purchased. All you have to do is get that haircut which you like in the picture. What you can do first however, is to first grow your short boxed beard to your desired length and THEN get the haircut so that your barber or hairdresser can do the cool taper effect so your sideburns become the connection point between the hair on the sides of the head and your beard.

The one thing you will need if you want to keep that look is a beard trimmer. We have discussed beard trimmers in the past, including in this beard trimmer discussion where different beard trimmers and electric shavers were discussed. One trimmer that has had great feedback in our forum is this beard trimmer which comes with a suctioning device so all trimmed hairs are aspired into the vacuum so you don't make a mess trimming your beard! The price of that beard trimmer is very good and I believe they ship to Greece (if they don't, let me know here in this thread and I will give you good alternatives to that beard trimmer too).

Facial hair (i.e. beard) grows very fast too and in similar fashion to scalp hair. So after 2 to 3 weeks, your short boxed beard would be getting too bulky and not as aesthetic as the shorter version that you originally had, and that's where a beard trimmer becomes so useful! It allows you to trim your beard as frequently as you like and to always keep the beard length you like. If you're going to go with the beard plus hairstyle in the picture I mentioned, then you would want to get that beard trimmer in the link above (or similar) to ensure that you keep the look for the long term. However, you have some products on your way already, so first enjoy those! Big Grin Then, once you are ready to get taper haircut, order the beard trimmer (if you want to keep the look) as the trimmer will take 1 to 2 weeks to arrive, and by then you will want to do a fast trim for your beard to maintain the look.

P.S. And don't forget to post pictures of your progression!

My diet is full of protein actually. But I didn't have a clue that shampoo hurts. I used to have a morning shower and an after workout one. Both with shampoo. Blow dryer too for the whole winter. Probably that's what caused the damage. About the trimmer, I have a decent philips one, not beard specialized but does the job for now (my budget is low, I m a student).
I m gonna keep this thread updated for sure! Waiting for the beard to grow and then a visit to the barber.
06-16-2014, 04:09 AM
Update after my haircut! I am quite excited, looks better than the pictures but here they are. What do you think?

[Image: C5BU5On.jpg]
[Image: 7CQBdpY.jpg]

The 2nd picture is before trimming the sideburns to make it smooth.
06-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Hell yeah! Looking very aesthetic Smile

I love it when our forum members get excellent results from our feedback and advice Smile Shame the original pictures were deleted as that's a great makeover you have gotten with the haircut and beard advice. Feel free to re-upload them with the face/eyes cut out if you want.

Looks great for a member of a rock band as is your case, and your barber/hairdresser got the "connection" I mentioned to you (hair on side of head through to beard via the sideburns) perfectly done!

Glad you got great results and keep us posted on any new haircuts/hairstyles/beard styles. You can in fact start to experiment with length on the top, shorter sides, taper cuts, high and tight or Undercut haircut etc Lots to experiment and we'll be happy to give you our feedback/advice on it!

06-16-2014, 08:19 AM
(06-16-2014 08:06 AM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Hell yeah! Looking very aesthetic Smile

I love it when our forum members get excellent results from our feedback and advice Smile Shame the original pictures were deleted as that's a great makeover you have gotten with the haircut and beard advice. Feel free to re-upload them with the face/eyes cut out if you want.

Looks great for a member of a rock band as is your case, and your barber/hairdresser got the "connection" I mentioned to you (hair on side of head through to beard via the sideburns) perfectly done!

Glad you got great results and keep us posted on any new haircuts/hairstyles/beard styles. You can in fact start to experiment with length on the top, shorter sides, taper cuts, high and tight or Undercut haircut etc Lots to experiment and we'll be happy to give you our feedback/advice on it!

Thx for all the advice TMHF! Unforunately I messed my imgur account up so the older photos no longer exist Sad
I m going to experiment for sure. Also make some posts after my products (recommended in the forum) arrive and ask for styling advice.

Btw how would you call this haircut? I just showed the barber a picture.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------