Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
Help me choose a new haircut
06-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Help me choose a new haircut
Ive had the same hairstyle for quite a while and I want to switch it up a bit. Im thinking something shorter on the sides and back and a little longer on top and front, but im open to suggestions!
Heres my current hairstyle
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a540...b375f1.jpg
Here is a picture of my hair back
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a540...4f7c52.jpg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2013, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 01:07 PM by James.)
RE: Help me choose a new haircut
You have very nice hair mate, have u thought of an undercut?? the guys here claim that it is very suitable for straight hair (like yours). By guys I mean the hair professionals we have on this forum so just wait a bit as they always help.
Edited to include the thread for the undercut style, this is the one http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...IAL-thread
06-15-2013, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2013 02:33 PM by Jurgen.)
Hair looking good and welcome to the forum!

I'm with James, an Undercut can look really good on you. What is your professional status? Are you in college? Work and what type? For example I see a classic Gatsby looking good too but it would look better if you work in manager roles.

This is an Undercut, you can get the hair comb tight back or angled.

[Image: BE-Jimmy-Darmody.jpg]

And this is a Gatsby (is more like a sweeping hairstyle but it can be called Gatsby too)

[Image: tumblr_lt1svp0kAS1qh48u5o1_1280.jpg]

The difference between the Undercut and the Gatsby is the Undercut is clipped very short, no tapering.

Wait for Barber -one of the moderators- and Rogelio, they are the hairstyle nerds of the forum -especially Rogelio, in a good way Cool
06-16-2013, 01:00 PM
I like the undercut style. Im not a huge fan of the really short sides and back or the slicked back but I could see myself getting a medium length undercut with the front to the side or something. I kind of want something that I Dont always have to use some sort of gel on too
06-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Hello janderson,

I think an Undercut would suit you very well; however, going from what you are saying, the problem with the Undercut is that it really only looks good when slicked back (and with pomade/gel). Ergo, you are pretty much fixed to a one and single look.

If you want a more convertible hairstyle, then I suggest you go with a tapered cut that leaves 2 inches on the top of the head. Then, style the hair in a Faux Hawk or do a Messy hairstyle. You can also style your hair into a Classic haircut like a Gatsby since 2 inches is more than enough to side sweep the hair.

I would suggest getting a taper haircut aka classic haircut. Go the the barber tell them do a "taper cut" and that you want 2 inches even length on the top. This is a convertible haircut that will then allow you to do just about all hairstyles. Since you have straight hair, your hairstyling options are ample.

Some hairstyles you can do with a taper haircut:
Faux Hawk http://www.menshairblog.com/short-hairst...hawk-2013/ (last hairstyle)
Messy hairstyle http://www.menshairblog.com/messy-hairst...-products/
Gatsby http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...d-Pictures
Slicked back http://www.menshairblog.com/slick-back-h...ssic-look/
Quiff http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...d-Fade-cut

Author of the two bestselling hair-care books:

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-16-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm liking the sound of the taper cut. Having long hair for so long I Dont want to jump right into something to short. More opinions always help though! Also, thanks a bunch to all of you who have replied!
06-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Yep, what Rogelio (Curly Hair) suggested of a tapered cut is a good idea for a haircut because it leaves the top to be open to most hairstyles and it is also to grow if you have in mind to grow the hair a bit longer.

A Messy hairstyle (on the top of the head) goes very well with straight hair like yours, I have just created a thread on Messy hairstyles that will be growing more so keep an eye there. We have more hair professionals on the forum who may be able to add some more. Also, any male celebrities who have a hairstyle you like? Check the male celebrities section for ideas too.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Yeah I'm definitely a fan of the messy style I looked at that thread and I'm thinking something kinda between Zach efrons and jude laws length
06-17-2013, 04:06 PM
I agree wit the suggestion of the other lads. Cant go wrong with a messy hairstyle for you. Because you have thick straight hair I suggest you go for a one inch length on the top because with two inches of length your hair will be difficult to keep up and will naturally hand down.

Also investing in a hair dryer would not be a bad idea by now as it will really help you in getting max. volume on your messy style. We have some threads in the forum for hair dryers, this one will help you if you want to get one
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...hair-dryer

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-17-2013, 07:25 PM
When I go to get my haircut should I try 2 inches at first then if I Dont like it ask for 1? And I have a hair dryer I can use I just Dont necessarily want to use it all the time.
06-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Correct, always ask for the longer length at the hairdresser, then if dont like it, ask for shorter, your hairdresser will be able to adjust as he goes along. You don't need a hair dryer for a messy hairstyle, the hair dryer helps in getting the most volume but no need for it. Pomade or mousse will do just fine.

Oldschool barber getting it on with the internet era.
06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Awesome thanks! Going in to get it cut today
06-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Great! Post your results. Since ur going for a taper haircut you can try all the hairstyles we have posted in the thread (messy, Faux Hawk, Gatsby etc).

This' more than just a forum to post pics, we're building a community so it's great to have you here! Update us with your hair Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Alright heres me with an attempted fauxhawk
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a540...5da9e1.jpg
06-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Wow dude! Looking like a new man! The hairdresser did a very good taper haircut. Now that you have the right haircut, it is time to get the right hairstyle.

Your hair looks more like a Quiff than a Faux Hawk, my man. Need to practise a bit more for the Faux Hawk Smile

To get a Faux Hawk, you should be directing the hair towards the center (middle of the top of your head). You got the front of the head into a Faux Hawk (more or less), but the rest of the hair behind looks more like a messy hairstyle. Initially, lift all of the hair on top of your head up with your fingers, then, use the flank of your palms (i.e. the area from your fifth finger to the wrist) to sweep the hair towards the center of the scalp, starting by directing the hair on the sides of the top of the head towards the center and using a motion that starts flat and then slowly lift the flanks of your palms as you move into the center of your scalp so that the crest forms.

You should be aiming to start from the outside (i.e. perimeter of the top of your head) and be directing the hair from there towards the center with the flank of the palms. Ergo, you will be moving your palms slowly as you move further inside into the center of your scalp and lifting the palms up gradually as you move into the center too.

The idea is to ger a sort of peaked triangle on the top of your head, from the vertex (i.e. back of top of your head) to the forehead hairline. Some pictures:

Cristiano Ronaldo Faux Hawk

[Image: cristiano-ronaldo-uefa.jpg]

[Image: Cristiano-Ronaldo-Style-Wallpaper-HD.jpg]

Ronnie Jersey Shore Faux Hawk

[Image: ronnie-jersey-shore-jpg.jpg]

[Image: ronnie-jersey-shore-281x211.jpg?height=2118]

[Image: 100106jerseyshore_ronnie1.jpg]

The Curly Hair Book: Or How Men Can Now Rock Their Waves, Coils And Kinks (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)

The Men's Hair Book: A Male's Guide To Hair Care, Hair Styles, Hair Grooming, Hair Products and Rocking It All Without The Baloney (CLICK HERE to read more about the book)
06-20-2013, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2013 01:11 PM by janderson.)
Yeah I was kinda going for the front faux hawk with the messy for the rest. Just seeing what I likeTongue and from my hair being swung to the side for so long it kinda just wants to stay one way
06-20-2013, 01:49 PM
(06-20-2013 01:09 PM)janderson Wrote:  Yeah I was kinda going for the front faux hawk with the messy for the rest. Just seeing what I likeTongue and from my hair being swung to the side for so long it kinda just wants to stay one way

Oh I understand, then hell yeah it looks great! But remember that the Faux Hawk, as a hairstyle, has the crest running right till the vertex (back of top of the head) and even down to the nape. What you've done is more like what we call an asymmetric Quiff whereby the Quiff points angled and to the side; in fact, it goes very well with a messy hairstyle and you actually nailed it very well.

Then again, that's the awesomeness of your new haircut, you can literally do what you've done, go all the whole way with a messy hairstyle or change it all and do a neat Faux Hawk with a long crest.

The important thing is, you got the right haircut and the other forum members were helpful for that (we're a community, after all!). I suggest you read the rest of the threads on hairstyles in this forum as they are growing more and more, and you can certainly ask the rest of the community a question on anything you want, including new hairstyles etc.

The hairstyle you posted with the pic looks great and is creative, I actually like it, and I'm glad you are happy with it too. Keep us posted, the admins are soon going to open a new section where you can post your pictures and build a log etc so our community is getting bigger and bigger.

If you need any more specific help, let know, buddy.

06-20-2013, 02:45 PM
That's a great haircut you got, janderson. I too like how you styled the hair in that pic. Agreed with curly hair, post pics of new hairstyles you wanna try etc Smile

06-20-2013, 06:06 PM
I will! I owe you guys one anyways!
06-20-2013, 07:31 PM
You also get to lose the "Nicholas Cage's hair wannabe" title once you reach your 11th post and can put whatever title you want, and you also get to see all attached images, PM and other goodies once you hit the 11-post mark and which come from being a member of our peculiar community.

I hope you are getting ready to hit the clubs on the weekend with your new cut!

Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 285 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Haircut fix Pgreene431 1 192 10-28-2016 02:26 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 220 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander
  Frohawk hairstyle and haircut: How to, Pictures TheMensHairForum 10 21,034 10-10-2016 08:45 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum