Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hairstyling Mousse or Hair Gel for Mens Hairstyles?
03-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Hairstyling Mousse or Hair Gel for Mens Hairstyles?
Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of using some hairstyling mousse or hair gel. And I could also use some input on which would be better for me and which product, etc.

I did look in the hair section in supermarkets or pharmacy stores several times. But it seems that most of these products are geared toward women.

I have a natural, part in the middle, straight hair style whereas the front of the side of my hair tend to fall forward or downward.

And just want to possibly use a little mousse or gel to hold my hair back on the front, side of my hair. Especially when I go out.

So, as you see I don't want to use too much, just a little. None of that stiff, wet or spiked look or something.

And if this info helps any, I'm a middle aged man, with medium length, medium volumed hair.

And if necessary, not too expensive, in case I decide the product is not to my liking.

I also have the kind of hair that gets oily if I don't wash it for a day or so thus would also like to be a little careful not to wet my hair too much to the point that it could make it a little more oily or something.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2015, 11:42 AM
RE: Mousse or Gel?
If you don't want something with a very shiny or "wet" finish, I would definitely avoid gels altogether. Mousse isn't bad, but it can get crunchy/stiff if you use too much or if you use it incorrectly. Also depending on your hair length/style, mousse can have a pretty low hold. I would recommend you look into waxes or hair creams. Hair waxes can have a very matte finish and usually have a very high hold. Hair creams can also be low shine, but they are a very light product with a low-medium hold. They are great if you want your hair feeling as light and natural as possible.

You should check out this thread, which has a small description of each hair product, as well as links to some recommended products.
03-19-2015, 02:35 PM
Yeah i agree with Good Hair, also mousse is more for volume styling according to the guys here and also from what i found out. It gives a good boost of volume for your hair and works pretty well for hairstyles like the brush up or the messy hair styles. The hold from what i get with a mousse is more like a firm hold so the hair stays up, but the hold is more natural and is makes my hair feel more flexible.
The hair gel will get your hair shaped and give you the shiny or wet effect that Good Hair mentions. I like it but it can get too overdone. The best benefit from hair gel is how you can shape your hair like you like, for example you can do a faux hawk, spiky hair, slick back hairstyle, quiff, or just a combover.

The thread from Good Hair he links to has all the products the guys here recommend. I bought the hair gels, mousse and pomades etc and their good products and cheap.
So to summarize get the mousse for styling your hair big and with volume and get the hair gel to shape your hair whichever way you want. at least that is what i have found so your mileage may vary. ANother good thread to check out is this one about hair gels:
http://www.menshairforum.com/talk/Thread...s-and-More
03-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Ok, I just bought some AXE natural look hair cream and tried it for the first time. That although I thought I did make a conscientious effort not to put too many, my first impression is that it did make my hair have a little bit too much of a wet look. Am I supposed to just let it dry or what?

Do hair waxes work better in this regard? Not too much of a "wet look"?

Thanks again!
03-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Hairstyling wax can be used on dry hair.
(03-24-2015 11:28 AM)morrisdan1 Wrote:  Ok, I just bought some AXE natural look hair cream and tried it for the first time. That although I thought I did make a conscientious effort not to put too many, my first impression is that it did make my hair have a little bit too much of a wet look. Am I supposed to just let it dry or what?

Do hair waxes work better in this regard? Not too much of a "wet look"?

Thanks again!

Dan, you're supposed to leave your hair just about dry when using that type of product. Normally we recommend using a hair product with damp hair, but there are some waxes that do well with no moisture (i.e. water), but they're usually reserved only for men with straight hair.

Dan, open a new thread and tell us about your issue so as to not derail this thread. But the solution is pretty much trying it on dry hair (use a hair dryer or towel dry and then air dry your hair). Open a new thread and we'll see.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mens Hair Products: Quick Useful 101 Guide The Hairstylist 2 314 10-26-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: A London Barber
  Best mens hair conditioner for damaged hair hapaa 4 438 10-06-2016 04:19 AM
Last Post: oslec8
  Volumizing hair mousse or product for styling thin hair? 92GTA 2 537 06-15-2016 08:12 PM
Last Post: 92GTA
  Hairstyling products for men to make thick hair 'clump' MatthewVockersbeige 4 1,653 11-19-2015 06:37 PM
Last Post: SkeetSheet