Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products) 5 1
Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
10-29-2014, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 05:44 AM by Nevy81.)
RE: Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
Hi, thanks for the guide. I am trying to achieve this look but I'm having a problem with my hair not wanting to lay down. The way I style my hair now is a side part combed up and to the side, when I was a kid I was told this style was called the wave but now when I look it up it's no where to be found. I have tried Layrite, Suavecito and hair gel, I thought for sure that the hair gel would work but it just stood up and laughed at me. I think one of my problems might be that my hair isn't quite long enough, I think I need at least one more inch.

Are there any tips for getting one's own hair to do what you want it to do? I was looking into training my hair but from what I read that doesn't really work. From what I read, your hair just lays a certain way and there's nothing you can really do about that. What are your thoughts? Any of you tried Brylcreem?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2016, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 06:58 AM by PhillySoldier.)
RE: Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
(04-17-2014 02:52 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 09:06 PM)doorsfan Wrote:  i really like this hairstyle, but the length of the hair on the top of my head is only ~1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches currently. I'm wondering if you guys think it's possible to make it work with that short of hair?

No, a good minimum length for slicking back hair is 4 inches. Given your current hair length, I would give it at least 6 months of hair growth to really be able to pull a nice slicked back undercut.

Absolutely you can have this style of hair cut with short hair. This is a military styled hair cut and is meant for short hair. It may not look like your overall goals of the posted thread pictures until it grows out longer but you certainly can start having it cut this way and training your hair to be combed/slicked back during that time. Also while short you may find it easier for the time being to slick back and off to the side(s) until it is longer.

If your hair is currently short and you are thinking about it. Get some pomade and try slicking it back now to get an ideal how it will look then decide if you want it now or wait till it grows out more.
02-25-2016, 10:22 AM
I like the look of this last guy's slicked-back style here but fear my hair is too thick/volumous to pull it off.
04-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Ive been reviewing many sites the last couple months now and one of the things still bothering me is the recommended hair lengths. Specifically the quoted 4" for Fury style undercut and 6" for Boardwalk Empire Jimmy Darmody type undercut.

As I mentioned a couple posts above, the undercut hairstyle was/is a popular military style hair cut. The military haircuts of course are very short. I dont think you would find many active soldiers with even 2" in length.

The bangs are the longest point in a slicked back undercut. In the movie Fury it doesnt appear that his bangs even reach his eyebrows when his bangs are hanging down. This is only about 2"

With the Jimmy Darmody photos most only show his bangs being a little longer then his eyebrows. I did see one pic before (cant find it again) where it went to the bottom of his nose I believe. Even this though is not 6". From the bridge of the normal hairline to bottom of your nose is only about 4-4.5" in length.

Im open to being proven wrong but so far I cant see how Brad's Pitt bangs could be 4" in length. That would hang down towards the bottom of his nose and Im only seeing it reach his eyebrows if even that...

Sorry my low post count wont allow me to embed or post links.
04-06-2016, 09:25 AM
(02-25-2016 10:22 AM)craig72 Wrote:  I like the look of this last guy's slicked-back style here but fear my hair is too thick/volumous to pull it off.

I was worried my wavey hair would be the same. All I can suggest is getting a few different pomades to try. Some hold more strong then others and likewise some have a more natural look then others. Its a matter of finding the right combination for yourself
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Up Classic Hairstyles for Men: Guide to Traditional Hair Styles That Will Never Die TheMensHairForum 15 168,679 12-07-2018 02:49 PM
Last Post: Panther
  The Man Bun - Epic Hairstyle Guide with Advice, Pictures, How to Style and Videos TheMensHairForum 36 458,151 12-05-2018 03:16 PM
Last Post: Ebony
  Best Hairstyles for Beards - Guide with Pictures and Advice TheMensHairForum 13 813,103 11-29-2018 11:23 AM
Last Post: Liza Jack
  Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair TheMensHairForum 36 268,310 12-19-2017 03:21 PM
Last Post: Nemolikethefish