Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products) 5 1
Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
05-26-2014, 10:43 AM
RE: Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
(05-26-2014 06:42 AM)Jurgen Wrote:  I would get the Suavecito pomade for sure. Get the Suavecito pomade from USA that we list in this guide (it's this ONE) as that is the best pomade for the slicked back undercut. This is specially so for water pomades so get that pomade.
About American crew... if you browse around this forum, they don't have a very good reputation for most their products. Their fibre is ok tho but you don't want to be using fiber for your slicking & instead use the Suavecito pomade in the link I posted. If possible get more than one tub so it will last you a couple of months too.

If you want to post your pictures, I have enabled the option for you now & you can post your new haircut pictures in the grooming blogs section - just open a new thread there. We are always cool with having forum member show what new cuts & styles they got Smile this one you got is not a difficult cut & you can even do it yourself very soon if you get a good clipper like the ones in the link or in the links I posted earlier in this guide for the listed products.
Clipping the actual undercut is very easy - only one clipper length is needed for all the sides & back, no tapering. It's one of the only haircuts we recommend people do themselves if they are still newbies to haircutting as anyone can do an undercut with ease.

What a great response, thank you! Only problem is the amazon link for the suavecito, when I try to checkout it says that it doesn't ship to Sweden, do you know any other place to purchase it that ship internationally? And yea I figured that it will be easier to maintain myself now with some clippers, I was just to scared to do it myself Confused but I will most definitely be clipping it myself now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2014, 11:40 AM
RE: Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
Oh damn sorry man. Sometimes vendors stop shipping to some countries.
Amazon is by far the best place to get male hair products because of th huge range you get & the peace of mind of Amazon + their fast shipping.

Try either of these two Amazon vendors for the Suavecito pomade in these 2 links: Try this one & Try this other one.

If you are going to be getting the Suavecito pomade from USA then have a look around our mens hair products list (click the link for the list to see if your interest in any other products. Amazon USA which is where the products in the list are shipping from has the biggest range of male hair products & the cheapest so you can get some good stuff there.

For example you can also get the Layrite pomade which is a 'harder with some shine' pomade than the Suavecito one but which is also cleaner to use & wash. The Layrite pomade is a cleaner version of the oldschool hardcore oil pomades that were a pain to wash. Dunno if you used them but I have & they suck cause you need to shampoo a couple times to remove it Big Grin
The good thing about the Layrite pomade is you get the super hold & shine of the old school pomades but easier to wash. So also consider that pomade & it is cheap from USA too. You can get the Layrite pomade from this Amazon vendor.

The Suavecito pomade offers a strong hold but with a wet effect so you if you have both pomades you have more hairstyling variety. I always have both ime because I like to change my hair texture with pomade. If you go thru our slick back undercut guide, I recommend the Suavecito for the casual modern slick while I recommend the Layrite for the classic flatter slick. The modern slicking is for your day to day while looking all dapper & the classic slicking is for whenever you want to look classic & elegant. Best of both worlds with both pomades.

Let me know if you can get them shipped to Sweden as sometimes they say they ship to 'Europe' but they will exclude some countries. Some Americans are not very sure of what is the 'EU' or 'Europe' Big Grin

Edit, you can also start your thread in the blog section with your pictures & update us with how your hairstyling goes when you get the products too. We can give you some feedback like we always give to our forum members. I am actually curious to see how your under cut looks Smile
05-27-2014, 02:53 AM
Yes I definitely want to try Suavecito! Unfortunately I have had no luck finding any sellers that ship to Sweden on amazon.

I will start a thread now with my pics and information and will keep you guys updated with my progress, the problem is right now with my hair is the hairdresser sold me American crew paste but it doesn't hold my hair for more than 4 hours, it just starts collapsing in at the sides and parts, will the suavecito keep it held together with no issues?
05-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Also my hair falls to the side naturally and The American crew lets it do so, I really want it slicked straight back with no possibility of of it falling to the side, any tips until I get the suavecito?
05-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Im using suavecito firm hold for my slicked back undercut. One of my favourites to date, great hold and oh my god he smell is amazing!
05-28-2014, 06:05 AM
(05-27-2014 03:12 AM)Hullywood Wrote:  Also my hair falls to the side naturally and The American crew lets it do so, I really want it slicked straight back with no possibility of of it falling to the side, any tips until I get the suavecito?

The Suavecito pomade that you're getting already has a good hold, but, if you want the classic look (i..e flat slick back with hair not moving), then do also get the Layrite pomade that Jurgen suggested in his post above (the link he provided for supplier).

The Layrite pomade he suggests (and which I agree 100%) is just about as close as you will get to the strong hold of oil pomades, minus the greasy effect. That's the beauty of the newer "water-based pomades": they give you the goodness of the old-school oil-based pomades without the greasiness or hyper shine. As Jurgen stated when he created this guide, we suggest Suavecito for the casual slick back (hair with some movement and falling) and the Layrite for the classic slicked back (where the hair is secured back).

The Suavecito pomade can still achieve a tight slick fix although usually men with thick hair strands benefit from tighter grips like the ones of the Layrite or oil pomades.

(05-27-2014 11:00 PM)-KANE- Wrote:  Im using suavecito firm hold for my slicked back undercut. One of my favourites to date, great hold and oh my god he smell is amazing!

Smile

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-04-2014, 07:11 AM
do we also need a curling brush for the modern slick?
06-04-2014, 12:34 PM
(06-04-2014 07:11 AM)kent10 Wrote:  do we also need a curling brush for the modern slick?

Up to you. We have discussed the use of curling irons for men and using a curling iron will allow you to give the modern slick a more voluminous look.

The curling iron that yields some pretty slick curls is this one here. It has an excellent price now and shipping benefits. Th goal is to curl locks to then slick back in the modern way (use fingers and possibly hair dryer). Justin Bieber looks to be doing this as he curls the front of his hair in a brush up style similar to the modern slick back.

If you go with the above curling iron in the link,, then make sure to use this heat protectant so that your hair is not damaged. Spray some of the heat protectant prior to curling and then curl the lock/s!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
06-04-2014, 05:09 PM
when you say curl locks, do you mean like curling the fringey area bit? I thought all that was needed was a non electric curling brush and a hair dryer Confused didn't realise we also needed the heating type Huh
06-08-2014, 01:07 AM
(05-27-2014 11:00 PM)-KANE- Wrote:  Im using suavecito firm hold for my slicked back undercut. One of my favourites to date, great hold and oh my god he smell is amazing!

I've been told Suavecito and layrite are the best pomades... I'll be sure to try them out once I finally go and get my hair styled and cut.
06-08-2014, 09:24 AM
(06-04-2014 05:09 PM)kent10 Wrote:  when you say curl locks, do you mean like curling the fringey area bit? I thought all that was needed was a non electric curling brush and a hair dryer Confused didn't realise we also needed the heating type Huh

It depends on the look you want to go for. If you want a sleek and polished finish to your curled fringe, then certainly get a curling iron. If you are fine with just getting the curling shape (and if you hair responds to it), then go with the brush and hair dryer option which does also work Smile

06-10-2014, 06:08 AM
I love this hairstyle, I'm growing my hair for cutting the hair.
I did not understand one thing, the hair of the forehead should reach behind your head? or must have a minimum length?
I change my haircut every year, this year is the year of Slicked Back Undercut.
Sorry for my English but I'm Italian.

Moderator edit: minor edits for better understanding.
06-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Manu, your English is fine although a moderator edited your post a little so that it is easier to understand for others. Feel free to continue posting and don't worry about this, if there is something that we cannot understand, we will edit it a little so it makes more sense in terms of reading comprehension Smile

With regards to your question, your hair doesn't need to be so long that it reaches the back of your head (starting from the forehead). However, you would want a length of at least 4 inches for the slicked back Undercut. Ideally, you want 4 to 6 inches, which is bordering a long length from a medium length.

I believe you will probably be used to centimeters instead of inches, so to work out centimeters from inches, just multiply by 2.5 and you'll get the centimeters. In this case, 3 inches is about 7.5 centimeters and 4 inches is 10 centimeters.

06-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the reply and for the correction of the text.
Yes, we use centimeters in Italy, I have the hair starting from the forehead 8 centimeters long, the haircut is also good with 8 centimeters long but I want them to 14-15 centimeters, I want it to reach the back of the head.
As soon as I will have finished the haircut, I load the photos of my hair.

Thanks to all.
06-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Just for the record, Manu, you can actually get the Undercut now since 8 centimeters is starting to be a good length for the top. There's no need for you to wait until you reach 14 centimeters because that would mean having to wait an extra 6 months for your slick back undercut!

If you want to add a little more length to the top, then get the undercut haircut when your hair is 10 centimeters, so that's an extra 2 centimeters of length and only about 6 to 8 WEEKS (not months!) of waiting time.

As soon as you get the haircut, open a thread in the blogging section so that we get to see the result of your new haircut and give you feedback. You can even open a thread now if you want, so we can see how your mane currently looks like and, if indeed, you would need some more length for a much more aesthetic under cut style!

08-28-2014, 07:31 AM
Question here - I've been using the Paul Mitchell tea tree pomade for a while now. I just recently switched from a side swipe to doing a straight slick back, but I'm not getting quite as much hold as I'd like - it's fine after I style it but tends to lose some hood soon after. Is it more likely that I need a new pomade with a stronger hold? Or that it's a matter of styling? I've been blow drying my hair before I style, so I'm thinking today I'll skip that and style it while it's still a little damp. I'd add a few pictures but it looks like I need to tally up some more posts first.
08-28-2014, 09:39 AM
William, while the Paul Mitchell pomade is a good one for side parting, you want to get a stronger hold pomade for the slicked back Undercut (or for slicking your hair back with any other kind of men's haircut). In this forum we mainly recommend the water-based pomades over the old-school oil-based pomades, mainly because the water-based pomades are much easier to clean and are more newbie-friendly (i.e. if you use a little too much, your hair won't get very greasy, a mistake that, on the other hand, can get your hair very greasy if done with an oil-based pomade).

When it comes to slicking back your hair, you have two options, a more casual style with a little volume on the top, which is what we call a modern slick back, or a more classic formal style with hardly any volume, which is what we call a classic slick back. The only major difference between a modern slick back and a classic slick back is in what styling tool is used to comb and lay the slick back: your fingers (modern slick) or a male comb (classic slick). We have covered both styles in a a lot of detail in this forum, but both types of back slicking are fairly intuitive as all males learn from very young to comb their hair.

Now, why am I saying the above? Because, depending on what type of slick back you want, you will want to choose one or another water-based pomade. Ideally, you want to have two so that you can have a wider variety of hairstyles, plus water-based pomades aren't expensive if you get them from the vendors we recommend in the forum.

So, for a modern slick back where your hair is held strong but which you can give some volume by using your fingers to slick the hair back, go with THIS pomade here (Suavecito brand).

For a classic slick back were your hair is held strong and laying flat on your scalp as you comb it back tight with a male comb, go with THIS pomade here (Layrite brand).

As said, you'd want to have both pomades and a couple tubs of each so you get the most bang for your back with shipping from those vendors in the links above. Also, you can certainly swap their uses and use the Layrite instead for a modern slick back and use the Suavecito pomade instead for a classic slick back. It's just that the use I stated for each pomade in the 2 paragraphs above is the ideal use for each pomade.

The two pomades above do also go great for side swept styles and side parts, and the Layrite pomade in particular goes great for Pompadour hairstyles and similarly-relate hairstyles like Quiffs, Elephant Trunks and Duck's derriere styles.

If you're interested in an oil-based pomade, then you just cannot go wrong with using the same oil-based pomade that Elvis Presley used: THIS pomade here!

Careful with the above Elvis Presley pomade, though, because that pomade can make your hair greasy if you apply a little too much. If you tend to overdo your product application (which most hairstyling newbies do) and still want the high-sheen, texture and strong hold of an oil-based pomade, the go with THIS other pomade which is a petrolatum free pomade (so your hair won't get greasy if overdone).

Choose your weapons, and get that slick going! Smile

09-11-2014, 09:29 PM
my hair is around 3 inches long, gonna take a while....
09-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Awesome guide, thanks!!
09-23-2014, 08:00 AM
How long would you recommend letting your hair grow?

I've been growing mine since Jan and the front is past the bottom of my nose now it goes up almost like a V-shape not quite as sharp.

I've been cutting the sides & back myself but would you recommend getting the top thinned or layered?

Ive been using Suavecito Firme Pomade which smells so nice but my hair ends up looking a little stiff? I've just bought some of the Tigi bed head wax you guys recommend so I'm waiting to try that.

The main problem I've been getting is the sides tend to fall down making it look like I'm trying to bring curtains back.

I'm not sure if the sides have been cut too far up.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Thumbs Up Classic Hairstyles for Men: Guide to Traditional Hair Styles That Will Never Die TheMensHairForum 15 168,679 12-07-2018 02:49 PM
Last Post: Panther
  The Man Bun - Epic Hairstyle Guide with Advice, Pictures, How to Style and Videos TheMensHairForum 36 458,151 12-05-2018 03:16 PM
Last Post: Ebony
  Best Hairstyles for Beards - Guide with Pictures and Advice TheMensHairForum 13 813,103 11-29-2018 11:23 AM
Last Post: Liza Jack
  Hair Types for Men - Guide for Straight hair, Wavy hair, Coiled hair and Kinky hair TheMensHairForum 36 268,311 12-19-2017 03:21 PM
Last Post: Nemolikethefish