Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
02-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
One of the best hairstyles for 2014 we have talked about is the slicked back undercut. The undercut has been trendy since 2012 and the slicking back has always been the traditional style of the undercut as the undercut was designed originally as a military haircut and the Germans used this haircut & style a lot in the Second World War, so another name for the undercut is the SS haircut or the Nazi haircut lol In summary, "undercut" plus "slicked back hair" equals EPIC STYLE.

Ok so for the slick back undercut all you need is a good hair clipper, a good pomade and a good comb, maybe some scissors if you want to trim your hair shorter and an extra mirror for better visibility of the cut & your head. The hair types that benefit the most from this traditional undercut are the types "straight hair" & "wavy hair", if you're unsure about your hair type then go through the hair type guide created by Rogelio in The Men's Hair Book & that we officially use in the forum.

Pictures of the slicked back undercut
Lets first go thru the pictures of the undercut hairstyle in this guide so you get a visual idea before I explain how to do it in the following post below. Some of the popular celebrities who use the undercut are David Beckham, Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody in "Boardwalk Empire" and Jake Gyllenhaal in the movie "Prisoners".

David Beckham

[Image: David%20Beckham%20arrives%20at%20the%202...%8B-842538]

[Image: david-beckham-olympic-games-london-retire.jpg]

[Image: article-2165959-13D45BE0000005DC-466_634x478.jpg]

[Image: zU8lBB5.jpg]

[Image: 701px-David_Beckham_2012.jpg]

Jimmy Darmody
A classic old-school slicked undercut by Michael Pitt playing Darmody.

[Image: Boardw1017.jpg]

[Image: pitt.jpg]

[Image: boardwalk-empire-s2.jpg]

[Image: BE-Jimmy-Darmody.jpg]

Jake Gyllenhaal
In the movie "Prisoners", Jake Gyllenhaal had a 2 step undercut together with the regular slicking of the hair. The 2 step undercut is another layer of undercut so you have 2 layers in the sides and back of the head. Not a common haircut & 1st try a regular undercut before the 2 step if you're interested in a 2 step.

[Image: Wo0TzM1.jpg]

[Image: v66rmc.jpg]

[Image: snpgdj.jpg]

[Image: 1olwzr.jpg]

(The guide continues in the next post below)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2014, 06:24 PM
RE: Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
How to do the slicked back undercut
First get the haircut, its very easy. All you need is a good hair clipper: everything below the horizontal temple line - basically everything on the sides and back of your head below the top of the head - is buzzed with the hair clipper using the same guard or guide comb! so choose your favourite guard length, it can be a #1, a #2, a #3 etc just dont go too high/long in guard length because then the haircut itself loses the sharp look. A #2 for dark skinned men is good and a #3 for light skinned men is good.

The hair on the top should be 4 inches long, plus or minus 1 inch, but not any shorter! Try to have the hair on the top of the head the same even length for the best slicked back hair style. Some men prefer a bit more length on the front for converting their hair to other styles like a quiff but if you are a classic dude and love the slicked back as a look that you want to have most days, then have the same length on the top and avoid uneven lengths on the top or front tapers!

[Image: nFu8erU.jpg]

To style the slick back all you need is a good pomade and a good men's comb. For those who aren't experts in hairstyling, there is actually 2 types of slicked hair: classic slicking and modern slicking! The difference is that classic slicking is fixed back solid and flat without movement & the modern slicking instead gives some room for the hair to move a bit and not be as flat. Most men nowadays prefer a modern slicking (even tho they don't know the actual name!).
The classic slicking was used in the 30s, 40s and 50s, but you can still use it Smile

To start slicking, coat your hair with a good pomade (see below for recommendations), then use your fingers to sweep the hair back, this is your 1st sweep or "slick". After that, grab your men's comb and comb the hair back starting at the forehead & finishing at the crown, this is your 2nd "slick". Then continue combing as you prefer; the more you repeat the combing back, the flatter the hair will look (flat = classic). It's your preference, just experiment a little with how many slicks (comb backs) you prefer.

Hair products for the slick back undercut
Like I wrote above, you need 3 products, all must be high quality: a hair clipper, a pomade and a men's comb. It is also good to have a set of scissors so you can always trim your hair to keep the length for the top in your slicked undercut or for any other hairstyles you like.
Click each link to read more about each product at the best Amazon distributors we found:

- Get this premium hair clipper: this is a cordless hair clipper by Andis and comes with everything you need in a clipper including a wide range of guards so you can choose the perfect buzzing length. The hair clipper will buzz without a break for over 1 hour and constantly buzzing the thickest hair possible, its that good. We recommend this hair clipper 100% if you have the money for it as it is the perfect investment and will be with you for YEARS.

- Get this other hair clipper: if the above Andis hair clipper is too expensive, then get this other hair clipper from Wahl in the link. It comes with a detailed trimmer too for touch ups and comes with a full set like the Andis clipper. Great introductory clipper for your undercuts although it obviously isn't the Andis clipper.

- Get this high quality pomade for classic slicking: the pomade in the link is the one you want and will give you the hold you need without looking greasy.

- Get this high quality pomade for modern slicking: clean and with good hold but still gives some flexibility and room for the hair. Easy to wash too.

- Get this handmade men's comb: if you want to be taken serious, you cannot use Hello Kitty combs or cheap plastic combs from the supermarket. Get the handmade male comb in the link & that's it.

- Get this scissors set: this type of scissors are called shears - used by barbers - and this set in the link has 3 types for any custom cutting of your hair you want and not just for your undercuts and slick backs. Good styling tool to have when you feel like shaping your hair.

- Get this three panel mirror: this is a bonus product if it is good with your budget. It is not expensive and will help you to see your head better so you can give yourself a better haircut. Its three mirrors that can be adjusted including magnifying so not only great for your haircuts but also for shaving and grooming your face.
02-07-2014, 04:44 AM
RE: Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
I love this slicked back undercut hair style. It looks very attractive.
02-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Great guide, Almost got 4 inches of length myself (Hair) Cant wait to join the SS
02-07-2014, 05:43 PM
(02-07-2014 05:16 PM)-KANE- Wrote:  Great guide, Almost got 4 inches of length myself (Hair) Cant wait to join the SS

ROFL at the pun Big Grin

It is true though that it is also known as the SS haircut as it was famous back then in the 1930s and in the Second World War with the Nazis. Hitler had a Regulation Cut and so did most of the military from the Allies as a matter of fact, while the German troops alternated between Regulation Cuts and Undercuts. Furthermore, Nazi propaganda (cough...Joseph Goebbels...cough) liked to portray the prototypical Aryan male as square-jawed with vertical temples, which is incidentally the most-aesthetic face shape for the Undercut. Not to mention the blonde straight hair, which is the hair type that suits this style the most.

Jurgen, my man, another great Undercut guide of yours! Smile Love that you went out of your way to post that many pictures as the styling may sound a bit complicated but it's actually quite easy, and so much more when you get to see how it looks in pictures. And good job mentioning the 2 types of slicking, which we have discussed in the forum before but which we can never repeat enough so that our fellow forum members can learn and know the real deal when it comes to styling their hair with such an elegant and oldschool cut and style!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
02-20-2014, 02:38 PM
I so dig learning all these rare hairstyles! the more you know the more powerful or in this case the better your going to look which i guess is also powerful more so if you have money in the bank lol #swag
So i am guessing then that we can alternate between modern and classic then ?? as in we dont need to just be styling with one slicking version and can one day do a classic for like a formal event then the next day grab some wax and a blow dryer and get some big hair too ??
02-21-2014, 01:40 PM
really like the two steps undercut you boys are advocating here as that is a more creative style imo and while not as easy as the regular version its doable for anyone with a hair clipper fwiw
Also the hair slicking will always look great for straight hair and wavy hair.
02-26-2014, 02:29 PM
I really think this style rocks if you can get it going which is easy anyways. I remember my grandfather may he rest in peace used this same style and haircut in his younger days from the black and white photographs we have of him.
His hair did in fact look very similar to the one of Jimmy Darmody in the picture posted by Jurgen in the way the slicking was done. Even in the years before dyeing my grandfather still kept his thick hair so i am touching wood almost daily that i get those follicle genes Big Grin

I remember him using a really old type of pomade to set the combing back and sleeking but i never really asked him what brand it was or if it was a special one.
Only thing i remember is my mother saying he had been using that pomade for decades so i am guessing it is not one of the water pomades that are popular these days and like the ones recommended in this thread and which btw are great pomades themselves as they avoid getting the hair greased up like the old pomades did.

However i would like to ask if any of you know of an old pomade for the slicked back undercut?? i am assuming it would be an oil based one as those are the kind of products the guys many decades ago would use to comb their hair. I have heard of some but honestly i prefer to hear what the experts here have to say and if any one knows of a good pomade of this kind to pick. Preferably one that does not cause major oily issues Big Grin thanks !!
03-07-2014, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 01:28 PM by nikos.)
In my opinion modern slicked back undercut is more good looking. About this hairstyle, I am little confused. I order the pomade that you propose but I don’t know if I need the comb. I am looking to achieve the hairstyle of first Beckham’s photos with little mess(just like this thread -> Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle).
(clickable link at post #2 of jurgen at "2 types of slicked hair")

This hairstyle needs a comb, my fingers or a combination of these?

Sorry if the post is off-topic.
03-07-2014, 04:12 PM
(03-07-2014 01:27 PM)nikos Wrote:  In my opinion modern slicked back undercut is more good looking. About this hairstyle, I am little confused. I order the pomade that you propose but I don’t know if I need the comb. I am looking to achieve the hairstyle of first Beckham’s photos with little mess(just like this thread -> Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle).
(clickable link at post #2 of jurgen at "2 types of slicked hair")

This hairstyle needs a comb, my fingers or a combination of these?

Sorry if the post is off-topic.

For the modern slick you can use your fingers, a comb or both! that is the cool thing about the modern slick. However, we recommend when doing the modern slick to do the first slicking - so the 1st 'coming back' of the hair - with a comb & then use your fingers 'like a comb' to continue combing the hair back so you get the hair slicked back more casual. The first slick with the comb creates the flat surface and direction of the hair - back from the forehead towards the crown - and then you create the more casual and freestyle modern slicking by using your fingers to comb your hair back after the 1st slick with the comb.
You can play with how much you want to use your fingers but it really is about preference.
If you have a comb at home, then just comb the hair back first & then run your fingers thru your hair like a comb from the forehead towards the back of the head Smile

Also using a high quality hair dryer is a good option for the modern slick. Why? because when you use a hair dryer you can give much more volume to the hair and this extra volume you cannot get with your hair naturally so your modern slicked back hair can not only look casual but also big and sexy. For example, you could recreate David Beckham's slicked back undercut hairstyle by doing the instructions for the modern slick & by also pointing a hair dryer to the hair on the forehead - the quiff - as you run your fingers back.
A hair dryer aka blow dryer is an additional cost if you don't have one already & a hair dryer is not 100% necessary for the modern slick like the pomade or the hair clipper for the undercut are. But if you want more volume for your hair than you usually can get naturally when doing the modern slick - or simply while styling your hair without a hair dryer - then a hair dryer is awesome for additional volume & we always recommend owning a hair dryer to the guys here be cause it is such a great hairstyling tool that is very useful to most hairstyles anyway!

For hair dryer recommendations, we recommend either this premium hair dryer & this 'great value' hair dryer. The hair dryer in the first link is more expensive but it does the job perfectly without damaging the hair which is a great benefit itself & the hair dryer in the second link is of great quality - but not as the 1st dryer obviously - and has a great price so the value is really good. Choose any of those two dryers & you will have much more styling options once it arrives in no time to your door from Amazon - those guys deliver fast even from USA to Europe!
03-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Perhaps, the mother of all slick back Undercut hairstyles would be this one:

[Image: 0cc273be7c2eaf9b52263de447458aee.jpg]

Agreed? Big Grin

The one above is more of a very long forelock (or even quiff) that is in a slick so the haircut does go above the temple line. It does give the impression of a regular under cut but the back slicking of the hair is pretty fly.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Here are more pics of the slicked back undercut. Although they sure aren't as tight as the photo above Big Grin
The hair styles below are actually with a beard & undercuts with beards do go very well, even more so if the hair is placed in a slick back - like in the pictures below - as that gives a more formal and professional appearance. For the most professional appearance however, the beard must be trimmed and maintained with a good beard trimmer as otherwise an untidy beard can break the sharpness of the slick back & under cut.

Some of the pics have shaggy beards & the whole appearance of the look still feels good. However remember that these guys are male models so pretty much anything looks go on them!

[Image: 25e2b4c55b7914e4cfbe201a87b2041f.jpg]

[Image: 3b8e39e08aa8616fab303865b0370863.jpg]

[Image: 9264286d6e9d4f03696910f41e53a881.jpg]

And this image below is of a slick back undercut with long hair. The hair is about shoulder length long & can be kept styled like that with a good water based pomade with a strong hold like this pomade that we recommend in the forum.

[Image: 384f97e4b112b8a8eeda89c6e2a45732.jpg]
04-16-2014, 09:06 PM
i really like this hairstyle, but the length of the hair on the top of my head is only ~1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches currently. I'm wondering if you guys think it's possible to make it work with that short of hair?
04-16-2014, 09:09 PM
I see a lot of guys in London sporting this haircut, it's not to bad in it self but way to common
04-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Wink RE: Hairstyle Guide for the Slicked Back Undercut (how to + pictures + products)
(03-11-2014 03:39 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Perhaps, the mother of all slick back Undercut hairstyles would be this one:

Agreed? Big Grin

The one above is more of a very long forelock (or even quiff) that is in a slick so the haircut does go above the temple line. It does give the impression of a regular under cut but the back slicking of the hair is pretty fly.

Haha this on GTA V the hipster haircut Big Grin
04-17-2014, 02:52 PM
(04-16-2014 09:06 PM)doorsfan Wrote:  i really like this hairstyle, but the length of the hair on the top of my head is only ~1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches currently. I'm wondering if you guys think it's possible to make it work with that short of hair?

No, a good minimum length for slicking back hair is 4 inches. Given your current hair length, I would give it at least 6 months of hair growth to really be able to pull a nice slicked back undercut. By all means as the hair grows longer, the slicking gets better and smoother so you may find yourself being able to slick it back sooner than in 6 months, but take your time and try other hairstyles as your hair grows too (feel free to open up a journey thread where you can document any new styles you try as your hair grows to its ultimately-desired length and we can give you feedback on it).

(04-16-2014 09:10 PM)herehair Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 03:39 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  Perhaps, the mother of all slick back Undercut hairstyles would be this one:

Agreed? Big Grin

Haha this on GTA V the hipster haircut Big Grin

Really? Do they call it the hipster haircut in GTA V? Big Grin I don't keep up with video games but I'm curious now since I do know the GTA video game franchise is known for tongue-in-cheek jokes and funny references to social trends.

04-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Quote:Really? Do they call it the hipster haircut in GTA V? Big Grin I don't keep up with video games but I'm curious now since I do know the GTA video game franchise is known for tongue-in-cheek jokes and funny references to social trends.

Yeah, it looks pretty slick toCool
04-20-2014, 11:53 PM
It kind of feels like a different hairstyle when someone with a wider face has it like Jimmy Darmody versus Beckham how has a more narrow looking face. Still looks very sleek and stylish.
05-26-2014, 06:00 AM
Hello people!

For a long time now I have admired the undercut after first noticing it on the character Jimmy Darmody from the TV show Boardwalk! Having decided I want to test this beauty out I grew my hair for almost a year and today I finally went to hairdressers to get the cut and well yea I'm pretty pleased with the results as at first I wasn't sure if it would suit me but it came out well. The hairdresser used American crew fiber to style and I also bought a container, I'm thinking of ordering suavecito pomade from the states, would you say suavecito is better than crew fiber?

Wish I could post some images for you guys to see but I don't have a high enough post count to share with you!

I showed the image of Beckham at the Olympics for the stylist to work from!
05-26-2014, 06:42 AM
I would get the Suavecito pomade for sure. Get the Suavecito pomade from USA that we list in this guide (it's this ONE) as that is the best pomade for the slicked back undercut. This is specially so for water pomades so get that pomade.
About American crew... if you browse around this forum, they don't have a very good reputation for most their products. Their fibre is ok tho but you don't want to be using fiber for your slicking & instead use the Suavecito pomade in the link I posted. If possible get more than one tub so it will last you a couple of months too.

If you want to post your pictures, I have enabled the option for you now & you can post your new haircut pictures in the grooming blogs section - just open a new thread there. We are always cool with having forum member show what new cuts & styles they got Smile this one you got is not a difficult cut & you can even do it yourself very soon if you get a good clipper like the ones in the link or in the links I posted earlier in this guide for the listed products.
Clipping the actual undercut is very easy - only one clipper length is needed for all the sides & back, no tapering. It's one of the only haircuts we recommend people do themselves if they are still newbies to haircutting as anyone can do an undercut with ease.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 625,061 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 24,174 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 111,968 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight
  Middle Part Curtains Hairstyle Guide: How To Style, Pictures, Products and more TheMensHairForum 13 68,917 06-15-2016 03:04 PM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum