Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Haircut guide for the Military Horseshoe Flattop (pictures included)
02-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Haircut guide for the Military Horseshoe Flattop (pictures included)
The Horseshoe Flattop haircut is a military hair style common among the Marines. Also known as a Horseshoe Flat Top, this haircut is done by grabbing a hair clipper and primarily buzzing through the center of the top of the head, effectively creating a horseshoe shape on the top of the head with the remaining hair left atop.

Being the Horseshoe one of the most hardcore military haircuts, this particular cut has never enjoyed much popularity among civilians although a subset of young urban tribes do wear this cut, especially in Western Europe where the Flat Top Horseshoe is associated with the hard techno scene (aka hardcore or gabber).

Pictures of the Horseshoe Flattop

You will be able to tell in these pictures the indistinguishable U shape on the top of the head with this military styled cut. Pair the visual guide that these pics offer with the haircut instructions a bit further down so that you can replicate the style itself!

[Image: e266neU.jpg]

[Image: MWN4awM.jpg]

[Image: U3NEZTd.jpg]

[Image: iu0GvMs.jpg]

[Image: U5GOn95.jpg]

How to do a Horseshoe Flat Top haircut

The cool thing about the Horseshoe is that all you need is a hair clipper, nothing more. First, clip all of your head with a #2 guard/comb length (more on the hair clipper a bit below).

Once you have clipped all of your head with the same guard, buzz the sides and back of your head with no guard attached to the clipper, which will leave you with a pseudo Flat Top haircut. Then, it's time to work on the top: again, without a guard attached, buzz the top of your hair through the middle, from the vertex (top back of the head) through the middle of the top right until just before the forehead's hairline. What you will be left with is a wide line of head resembling a U. You can then retouch the width of the line to sharpen the Horseshoe U, so have a look at the pictures I posted above for some inspiration on getting the U shape detailed!

About which hair clipper to buy for the Horseshoe Flattop, I recommend either of the following two clippers (click the links to buy/see/read more about them at Amazon):
  • This cordless hair clipper: this one is a premium clipper that you must have if it somewhat fits your budget. Has an excellent battery life, buzzing through hair without a break for over one hour. It also comes with the full kit and guard/comb range and other accessories that would cost you extra money if bought separately. This clipper is also from a top hair clipper manufacturer and the clipper will be with you for years and always do an excellent job. You can even use the clipper on your beard so that you match the Horseshoe with your beard or with any other hairstyles for beards or stubble.
  • This other hair clipper: this one is a standard for barbers and as heavy duty as it comes, plus the brand itself is a synonym with premium hair clippers. The clipper is not cordless so it can only be used while plugged, but other than that, this is an excellent choice that will stand years of use (and abuse Big Grin). In fact, because it isn't cordless (unlike the other clipper above), the price isn't as high, so if the price for the cordless clipper above is too high for your budget, then certainly go with this second clipper I have just described (and do also get the extra range of guards/combs for a wider clipping ability and more flexibility when it comes to buzzing your mane)!
I can tell you that any of the above 2 clippers will ensure you an awesome time as you will be able to buzz your hair at any given moment in minutes and try all kinds of hairstyles and haircuts, especially those that are short and, of course, including the Horseshoe flattop Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2014, 04:26 PM
RE: Haircut guide for the Military Horseshoe Flattop (pictures included)
I have actually done a couple horseshoes to me mates but not really had anyone ask for it at the barbershop, i reckon that would be more of a military barber work or very niche b-shops.
Got plenty of flat tops request tho.
Here is a horseshoe btw the haircut is not difficult to do what-so-ever especially if you have a decent hair clipper that will buzz easily without attachment like the two you posted above. Actually glad to see you recommending the Oster classic above, love that one and brings lots of good memories Smile

[Image: M8Yg5Pk.jpg]
02-26-2014, 02:10 PM
RE: Haircut guide for the Military Horseshoe Flattop (pictures included)
That is such a badass mens haircut. I used to live close to a military camp and one third of the dudes there had this haircut while the other third had a high and tight & the other third has either a crew cut or a buzz cut. They also drunk like maniacs lol

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Undercut Hairstyle: How to, Haircut, Pictures, Products - OFFICIAL thread Barber 200 607,917 10-07-2016 08:51 PM
Last Post: shenefbs
  Jake Gyllenhaal Prisoners haircut advice Alex 36 234,432 08-07-2016 09:54 AM
Last Post: AlexVI
  Mohawk hairstyle and haircut guide - How to and Pictures TheMensHairForum 16 23,265 07-31-2016 11:40 PM
Last Post: Kiddfresh
  2 Step Undercut Hairstyle: Official Haircut Guide with Pictures and How-To Advice Jurgen 6 107,090 07-21-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: Dwight