Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair thickening fibers for balding - Do they work?
09-24-2016, 06:07 AM
Hair thickening fibers for balding - Do they work?
Have any of you used any of the seemingly dozens of brands of hair thickening products on the market that use "fiber" technology? Apparently, unlike those other powders and sprays that are essentially concealers, these products use magnetic charges to bond the fibers (plant fibers, keratin, cotton - all depends upon the brand) from their products to your individual hair strands, thereby thickening them.
Would love to hear about any experiences guys on here have had. Did the product work? Did you have to style your hair and THEN add the thickening fiber product? Could people tell when you were out in daylight? Tell us, won't you?

Products in this category include: Gofybr, Toppik, Kaboki, Kerathik, Magikol, Nanogen, Cuvva, Caboki, Fibrex and probably others I've missed.

Here's a video from a guy using Caboki as an example.

Moderator edit: this post has been moved as a thread. Youtube video is on next post.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2016, 07:59 AM
Hair-thickening fibers work best when combined with other hair thickening products!
I've moved your post from our hair products thread to this new thread as your question warrants being turned into a thread by itself due to general interest.

The Youtube video that you're referring to is this one below. I'm also posting my advice on hair-thickening fibers below the video.

Yes, hair thickening fibers like Toppik do work. However, these hair thickening fibers are temporarily cosmetic enhancers; they are not solutions to male pattern baldness (MPB) nor are they permanent enhancers as I've seen some sketchy manufacturers claim.

Nowadays, hair-fiber products are good enough to provide an effect that looks subtly natural. Hair-thickening fibers attach to existing hair strands and make them look thicker, which thus occupies more space on your scalp and narrows the space between healthy hair strands; this narrowed space being the space created by hair strands that have succumbed to male pattern baldness.

Back in the day, hair-thickening products were very-bad products. They would stain anything and the thickening fibers would degrade throughout the day, which meant that you would look like you had fuller hair in the morning and, "somehow", your hair would look thinner in the evening, which, of course, anyone would easily notice. Luckily, there are now manufacturers that produce hair-thickening fibers that last throughout the day and that stay put, without being degraded, until your shampoo your hair.

If you're looking for a temporary solution to conceal some balding spots that you may have, then go ahead as you will get results if this is what you're after. But do bear in mind that the effect will be gone when you shampoo your hair again. Likewise, hair-thickening fibers only work effectively on males with a Norwood I to a Norwood IV. Using hair-thickening fibers if you have a Norwood V and above is a waste of money and time.

Hair-thickening fibers like Toppik work best when paired with other hair-thickening products like hair thickening shampoos and hairstyling products. My advice is that you also use the following products with your use of hair-thickening fibers so as to achieve the best hair-thickening effect:
  • Hair thickening shampoo
  • Hair thickening conditioner: to be used after rinsing out the hair-thickening shampoo.
  • Hair mousse: to be used to style your hair.
  • Hair dryer: to be used so as to augment the fullness of your hairstyle and hair. Use a hair dryer as you're styling your hair with hair mousse. It's imperative that you use a good hair dryer that does not create frizz, as otherwise you will find that the hair-thickening effect isn't as pronounced and your hairstyle will look very odd.
The products listed above will give you the best thickening effect on your hair when combined with hair-thickening fibers. See my guide on hair thickening products as I've recommended specific products for the ones that I've listed above.

The hair-fiber product that you use should be used after you're done with styling your hair. Furthermore, a good hair dryer will not be cheap, but you must use a good hair dryer as recommended in my linked guide above. Cheap hair dryers create not just frizz on your hair but they also damage your hair from unregulated heat exposure. The last thing that you want to do with thinning hair and/or male pattern baldness is to irreparably damage your hair as it will occur with cheap hair dryers.

You can see other hair dryers that we recommend on our hair dryers thread so that you have different hair dryers priced at different price points to consider.

Lastly, if you're at a hair-loss stage in which hair-thickening fibers work very well, then you should also seriously consider using minoxidil as an add-on hair-loss product. Minoxidil is among the very-few chemicals/products that is medically proven to work. Minoxidil can be purchased in several forms, as we've documented in our thread on hair loss products and you can get some long-term regrowth and thickening effect by using minoxidil (in any of its form) for at least four months.

Simply put, minoxidil will take you a step further in your effort to have thicker hair and/or to battle male pattern baldness!

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Non-male pattern balding? Losing hair but unsure about reason AntonD 4 183 10-18-2016 06:28 PM
Last Post: AntonD
  Bald father, grandad with full hair - Am I balding? 20 year old Benji_111 0 313 09-19-2016 08:43 AM
Last Post: Benji_111
  Hair receding or maturing? Possible balding with receding hairline Relinquish 2 803 08-18-2016 01:17 AM
Last Post: Relinquish
  Hair balding or maturing? Receded hairline with slicked back style jamesbreen96 2 1,030 02-10-2016 09:07 AM
Last Post: oldschoolbarber