Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hair products for messy hairstyles
01-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Hair products for messy hairstyles
I am trying to buy one or two products for messy hairstyles that i want to try on my hair as i have been attempting to do the hairstyles with the gel i had but it leaves my hair super crunchy and some major flaking by the end of the day Undecided
Read in the forum that waxes are good for messy hairstyles but if possible i am looking for a more natural look and not that wet and greasy look that u risk getting with some types of hair waxes and what not < or at leats what i have found in the past before i discovered this forum and became wiser with all the rats products out there
If you fellas could help a bruv out id be forever thankful Big GrinBig Grin cheers guys
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2014, 12:38 PM
RE: Hair products for messy hairstyles
Yes hair wax is good for messy hairstyles but as you have experienced, some hair waxes can give a wet effect or leave the hair too shiny. For hair wax you want to get a light matte hair wax if you want a more natural messy look.

For what you want, the best products for messy hairstyles are matte wax, clay wax and styling wax (without the shine). These products give you control of your hair but the finished look is almost as natural as not using any products!
Thats the good thing about these products as you need control to leave the hair in a messy style - use your fingers to tousle and style messy look - but also the products must "blend" with the hair instead of giving it more gloss, shine or hardness.

For each of the hair wax, clay wax and styling wax my recommendations are:
- This TIGI hair wax: I have reviewed this matte wax before and it goes great with messy and tousled hair looks for short hair.
- This hair clay wax: it has a good control hold but again it is not too shiny. With this clay wax the hair becomes easy to mold so you can go crazy with the tousling Big Grin
- This styling wax: gives lots of control and lasts through the day/ It gives you a good hold as it uses microfiber-reinforced polymers to give control and shape to the hair but at the same time it doesn't give a wet look so this styling wax is great if you want to keep your messy hairstyle without wet effect/greasy shine and more on the natural look but with a harder hold than the hair wax and hair clay I suggested above.

It is always good to buy 2 or 3 different hairstyling products when trying new ones because you need to first see how your hair reacts to it. Also you want to have more than one hairstyling product so that you can vary your hairstyles or even look in your messy style Smile If you can, buy at least 2 of the 3 products above as each will give a a slightly different look when you use them for you messy hair styles!
02-01-2014, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 04:43 PM by Anton.)
(01-09-2014 12:38 PM)Jurgen Wrote:  Yes hair wax is good for messy hairstyles but as you have experienced, some hair waxes can give a wet effect or leave the hair too shiny. For hair wax you want to get a light matte hair wax if you want a more natural messy look.

For what you want, the best products for messy hairstyles are matte wax, clay wax and styling wax (without the shine). These products give you control of your hair but the finished look is almost as natural as not using any products!
Thats the good thing about these products as you need control to leave the hair in a messy style - use your fingers to tousle and style messy look - but also the products must "blend" with the hair instead of giving it more gloss, shine or hardness.

For each of the hair wax, clay wax and styling wax my recommendations are:
- This TIGI hair wax: I have reviewed this matte wax before and it goes great with messy and tousled hair looks for short hair.
- This hair clay wax: it has a good control hold but again it is not too shiny. With this clay wax the hair becomes easy to mold so you can go crazy with the tousling Big Grin
- This styling wax: gives lots of control and lasts through the day/ It gives you a good hold as it uses microfiber-reinforced polymers to give control and shape to the hair but at the same time it doesn't give a wet look so this styling wax is great if you want to keep your messy hairstyle without wet effect/greasy shine and more on the natural look but with a harder hold than the hair wax and hair clay I suggested above.

It is always good to buy 2 or 3 different hairstyling products when trying new ones because you need to first see how your hair reacts to it. Also you want to have more than one hairstyling product so that you can vary your hairstyles or even look in your messy style Smile If you can, buy at least 2 of the 3 products above as each will give a a slightly different look when you use them for you messy hair styles!

Cheers mate and that pretty much seals it and got them products. Also been trying other hair products recommended in the forum too as theres many styles to try including ofc messy styles but the trick is getting it right with some practise and those products u mentioned are holding up very well so far. Cheers again J Smile
08-09-2014, 09:54 PM
I think a great wax/paste is "Moroccan Surf Paste" You can get it at Wally World and if i remember correctly its fairly cheap! I have really thick straight hair and i used to have a messy look and i could never use hair gel because i hated the hard crunchy look and feel. Also i really like how you can continue to adjust your hair throughout the day with this. Id say this would probably work best for people with medium length hair and hair not as thick as mine haha. Anyways i hope this helps. Smile
08-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Pomades are good for a more natural look.
09-27-2014, 12:36 AM
Hands downBig Grini fi Destruct, its matt, re-malleable, great hold for stick-up styles & is a tacky cream that
emulsifies in the hands great.
Also love Crews Fiber for a matt clay similar to Sabastains Moulding Mud....the origional good format.
For a super dry wild look: KQC Dust It powder for use on dry hair,sprinkle on roots & muss up! Makes hair feel "used" without the oils.
12-24-2014, 08:44 PM
I recommend Hanz de Fuko
01-14-2015, 10:33 PM
i like tigi products
01-15-2015, 11:24 AM
I think Jurgen gave you a good answer. I would say you have two options when it comes to messy hairstyles.
First you have the casual look. Shake and go. A bit of tousling but no shaping. Light hold hair gel or water based styling wax will do for this.
Second you have the shaped look. It's a tousled hairstyle but you make the emphasis on the shaping so it looks tousled with intention. For this try any of the harder holding styling waxes or hair gels. Pomade can also be used but choose the water based ones as the oil based ones will make a mess.

Cheers!
03-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Can i use American Crew Fiber if i have Messy hairstyle?
03-03-2016, 09:57 AM
(03-01-2016 01:03 PM)Nyxzer Wrote:  Can i use American Crew Fiber if i have Messy hairstyle?

I used to use American Crew but i just didnt like the way it styled my hair and the overall look.
I recently started using Bluuman's Meraki and Carter Supply Company's Flux and can let you know which I prefer.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Hair Products for Men - Epic List TheMensHairForum 116 245,427 09-24-2016 10:06 AM
Last Post: JewFro
  Best hair products for slicked back hairstyle Lordius 14 204,273 11-05-2015 11:26 AM
Last Post: ad4mkoala
  Good hair products for the slicked back undercut? James 3 38,712 02-12-2015 08:37 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Question Good hairstyle products to style thinning hair? Vladimir 7 25,147 08-16-2014 10:06 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum