Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair products and shampoo ingredients, do you believe them?
10-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Question Hair products and shampoo ingredients, do you believe them?
I am sure you have seen some of the claims of shampoos and how they can do magic on your hair, but do you believe the claims of shampoo ingredients? Interested to know what some of you think as we have some great minds of the hair industry in this forum.

I am skeptic of some shampoo ingredients, like vitamins. You have to start from the root, no pun, of all of this. Hair is dead material so it's not like it can take in the vitamins and heal itself. There are cosmetic benefits though from the ingredients and chemicals coating the hair, but that is temporary. Same can be said of conditioners and other mens hair products with vitamins and funky hair ingredients.

Your thoughts on hair products and shampoo ingredients?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 05:42 PM
RE: Hair products and shampoo ingredients, do you believe them?
Mate here is the gist of it. So what shampoo ingredient does actually work and which ones are just big words with no real positive benefits. I did some research and here's what I came up with.

Some of the shampoo ingredients we read so much about that probably don't work include:

1. Botanical extracts

They have a really nice name and a great smell but when put to the test, they probably have very little impact on your hair's overall look or health. If you like the smell, go ahead and buy your shampoo with botanical extracts, otherwise save your money.

2. Protein

This one's been around for a long time. We hear how our hair will become weak and we'll encounter breakage unless we add protein. The problem is, most protein molecules are too large to penetrate the hair shaft and will have little effect at all. Plus, it's important to remember hair is dead and can't really be repaired or restructured. Consuming protein in your diet is another story. We do need a certain amount of dietary protein to prevent hair loss and breakage. Just make sure it goes in your mouth and not your shampoo.

3. Vitamins

Again, even if these vitamins could penetrate the hair shaft successfully, hair is dead and they wouldn't have any significant effect on hair health. The addition of these ingredients to a label must make the product sound good. Save the antioxidants for your face where they do seem to help

4. Alpha Hydroxy Acids

Again, these do have an impact on the health and vitality of your skin, but have little or no effect on the hair shaft which is dead.

When we realize hair is actually dead, we see that any shampoo ingredient that claims to restructure or revitalize the hair is making a false claim. There are some shampoo ingredients that will help hair look and feel better by acting on the surface to coat the hair.For example, dimethicone when added to a shampoo, coats the hair shaft and gives the hair a smoother, shinier appearance. This effect is only cosmetic and will wash out with the next shampoo, but it does improve hair's overall appearance between shampoos.

Certain shampoo ingredients can also have a positive effect on oily hair by acting as a good detergent to remove the excess oils that weigh hair down. For example, sodium lauryl sulfate does an excellent job of removing excess oils and sebum from the hair shaft, giving oily hair more body and lift without being overly harsh.

The truth is you really only need a few basic shampoo ingredients to cleanse your hair, a good detergent that's not harsh or damaging to the hair. If your hair is dry and needs a smoother appearance, you can consider a shampoo that has dimethicone added to give shine and some oils such as wheat germ oil or tea tree oil to add a bit of moisture. For oily hair, choose a light, detergent based shampoo with minimal oils or ingredients that might weigh hair down. You might consider adding the juice of a lemon due to its acidic properties which can help to remove the excess oil buildup.

Next time you're shopping for a shampoo, keep these shampoo ingredient guidelines in mind and choose wisely!
12-27-2014, 03:33 AM
(10-10-2014 02:11 PM)Sunset Wrote:  I am sure you have seen some of the claims of shampoos and how they can do magic on your hair, but do you believe the claims of shampoo ingredients? Interested to know what some of you think as we have some great minds of the hair industry in this forum.
I am skeptic of some shampoo ingredients, like vitamins. You have to start from the root, no pun, of all of this. Hair is dead material so it's not like it can take in the vitamins and heal itself. There are cosmetic benefits though from the ingredients and chemicals coating the hair, but that is temporary. Same can be said of conditioners and other mens hair products with vitamins and funky hair ingredients.
Your thoughts on hair products and shampoo ingredients?

I read your post with interest and looked up the ingredients listed in the products I use and I was very pleased to see that Pro Naturals ingredients all fell in the "good" category.
02-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Some men's hair care companies do smear the industry's reputation with wild claims.
Most hair product ingredients are fine, and by that I'm talking of the active ingredients which are purported to make the product work in a certain fashion. It's usually with the men's hair loss products that sketchy ingredients are used. Some of the ingredients will be based on some poor research or research done on rats, while some of other ingredients will be outright scams. Unfortunately, the hair loss industry has always been like this and it's one of the reasons for this forum having its own Hair Loss section and Hair Products section so as to allow people to ask questions if in doubt of a particular product or ingredient.

Having said the above, it is true that some hair care companies will try to stretch the truth with their products' performance and results. Incidentally this usually occurs with hair care products (e.g. shampoo or conditioners) rather than with hairstyling products (e.g. hair gel or pomade).

An example of stretching the truth would be a product manufacturer claiming that his dandruff shampoo cures dandruff in men. What the dandruff shampoo actually does is treat the dandruff until it disappears, but this only occurs for as long as you use the dandruff shampoo as there is no permanent cure for dandruff!

Unfortunately, the hair care industry isn't regulated; not even the nutritional supplements industry is well regulated and lots of manufacturers get away with extraordinary (untrue) claims of their products, so long as they do not claim that their product cures or treats a disease. Since it's very easy to word a product's claim, many sketchy companies get away with extending the truth or downright lying in their advertising.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Great hair has less to do with what you put in your mop than what you put in your mouth, by a couple thousand orders of magnitude. Now, if people used what they spend on fancy shampoos and hairtreatments on a healthy diet and exercise instead, certain companies would run out of storage for their unsold snake-oil.
03-06-2015, 02:21 PM
If anything I think shampoos are more or less the same, and you should save your money for a good conditioner if you had to chose between the two. If you think about it, shampoo is just meant to clean your scalp from all the oil right? Why spend extra to do that? I highly agree with what AdductorMagnus said about diet though. People underestimate it so much, not just with hair but for everything.
03-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Invest more on a good conditioner and improve your diet for better hair.
(03-05-2015 05:12 PM)AdductorMagnus Wrote:  Great hair has less to do with what you put in your mop than what you put in your mouth, by a couple thousand orders of magnitude. Now, if people used what they spend on fancy shampoos and hair treatments on a healthy diet and exercise instead, certain companies would run out of storage for their unsold snake-oil.

Yes. The hair care industry is (kind of) similar to the health supplement industry. Not saying most supplements don't work, but if you actually exercise and have a minimally good diet, you will get results in thousands of orders of magnitude as you rightly have put it!

Remember that hair is in itself dead bio-tissue. The magic occurs in the follicle, which is part of the skin system and which not only does it need the right supply of ingredients but is also very fragile (hence why we are so insisting in not pulling your hair tight so as to avoid traction alopecia). Also, sebum itself is highly dependent on the fat in your diet (the right fat), and secreting the right amount of serum (which you don't even need to do, your follicles will take care of that if you feed yourself probably) can easily substitute hairstyling products, especially if you dig the natural look (instead of the slicked look, shaped look or big volume look).

(03-06-2015 02:21 PM)GoodHair1 Wrote:  If anything I think shampoos are more or less the same, and you should save your money for a good conditioner if you had to chose between the two. If you think about it, shampoo is just meant to clean your scalp from all the oil right? Why spend extra to do that? I highly agree with what AdductorMagnus said about diet though. People underestimate it so much, not just with hair but for everything.

Well put. Usually it's the conditioner that does the magic in men's hair care, not the shampoo (unless you have really oily hair or use a lot of heavy residue products like oil pomades). To put it in very basic words, shampoo just cleans the hair, it's the conditioner that makes the hair pretty (yes, even before hairstyling products!). That's why learning just a little extra on hair care (i..e how to use a hair conditioner) will automatically put you a huge step on top from the rest of guys. The problem (for you) is that, with this forum (and in part from Samson's books), more guys are catching up on what good hair care is so your hair won't stand out as much in a crowd as it once did!

All this talk about hair, as trivial as it may seem to many (but these are the same guys who will say so but also read online about it to improve their hair), is actually very important to both guys and girls. Bear in mind that your hair is the FIRST thing people see when they notice you, along with with eye shape, mouth shape and overall facial shape (plus nose and side profile from forehead to chin if seen from the side). This occurs in milliseconds inside the brain to gauge the impression you give as well as how handsome (men) or pretty (women) one may be. There is even a huge evolutionary reason for humans having scalp hair that the brain still associates with health and mating ability (the "caveman" words for "being attractive).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
03-13-2015, 07:42 AM
I use Head and Shoulders every day and have no problem with anything to this date Big Grin
03-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Even If I didn't believe them, what there choice do I have? lol
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I need help about my hair,products and what to do UltraReflex 0 137 10-31-2016 11:59 PM
Last Post: UltraReflex
  Johnny Marr and products? Blackmass 2 411 09-14-2016 04:57 PM
Last Post: r3dzzz
  How to shampoo and use a hair conditioner for men Stevens 27 100,602 05-02-2016 11:35 AM
Last Post: Refrusloi
  Products MrTJQuiffHair99 0 296 02-08-2016 04:27 PM
Last Post: MrTJQuiffHair99