Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair length of Butch Cut, Crew Cut and Ivy League haircut?
05-11-2015, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 07:38 PM by topgun1572.)
Hair length of Butch Cut, Crew Cut and Ivy League haircut?
So my hair (wavy) is about 3 inches long at the moment and its been that long for like 2 years due to trimmings every 2 months, but now since its summer I'm looking for a shorter hairstyle. I was looking at the butch cut, crew cut and Ivy League haircut, but I'm worried my barber my confuse a crew cut for an Ivy League haircut or a butch cut for a brush cut etc since I don't really know the specific dimensions and hair lengths of each haircut.

So I was wondering if someone here knows the hair lengths of each haircut, thanks for the help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2015, 12:23 PM
How to get a Butch Cut, Crew Cut and Ivy League hairstyle!
Welcome to the forum! We've actually covered these short haircuts in our famous buzz cut guide which covers all types of buzz cuts, including the butch cut, crew cut and even the Ivy League haircut, even though the Ivy League haircut is not a buzz cut. We also have a very popular short men's haircuts guide where we go in detail over all the short haircuts for men including buzz cuts and those male haircuts that require a hair clipper.

In any case, the difference between a butch cut, crew cut and an Ivy League haircut is very easy to remember. A butch cut and a crew cut are textbook buzz cuts, meaning that they are hair clipper haircuts. Only a hair clipper is used with a butch cut and a crewcut; scissors (i.e. shears) are never used. On the other hand, an Ivy League haircut requires both scissors and a hair clipper to be shaped and cut.

These are the hair lengths for each of these short haircuts:

Butch cut

With a butch cut, you buzz the hair at half an inch all across the head. This equates to a number 4 hair clipper length.

Crew cut

In a crew cut, the hair is tapered dually. The first taper cut is a vertical taper on the sides and back of the head, which goes from a number 3 hair clipper length to a number 1 hair clipper length.

The second taper cut is performed on the top of the head. The hair on the top goes from a number 3 hair clipper length on the crown (i.e. back of the top of the head) to the highest length on the hair clipper available on the forelock (i.e. the front of the top of the head). So long as the forelock is longer than the crown and is only done with a hair clipper, you'll have a crew cut.

Ivy league haircut

An Ivy League haircut is simply a longer crew cut haircut. An Ivy League has two taper haircuts, just like the crew cut does. The vertical taper cut (first taper) on the sides and back of the head for an Ivy League uses the same hair clipper lengths as the crew cut.

The second taper cut for the hair on the top of the head, however, goes from a number 4 hair clipper length on the crown to a maximum length of 2 inches on the forelock. Hence the reason for the Ivy League haircut involving both a pair of scissors and a hair clipper.

I still suggest that you go through our 2 guides on buzz cuts and short haircuts (which I linked to at the beginning of my post). Both of these haircut guides have plenty of pictures of each haircut and you will be able to not only learn about these specific haircuts but also see the difference in hair lengths between a butch cut, a crew cut and an Ivy League haircut.

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
05-17-2015, 11:06 PM
RE: Hair length of Butch Cut, Crew Cut and Ivy League haircut?
Thank you so much!
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help regarding a haircut (undercut) zorrocat1 0 290 10-30-2016 05:26 AM
Last Post: zorrocat1
  Haircut fix Pgreene431 1 194 10-28-2016 02:26 PM
Last Post: Sertinjo
  Widow peak(Short haircut) Alexander 0 221 10-24-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Alexander
  Frohawk hairstyle and haircut: How to, Pictures TheMensHairForum 10 21,056 10-10-2016 08:45 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum