Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hair color questions for men, to Dye or not to Dye?
04-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Hair color questions for men, to Dye or not to Dye?
Hi guys, how y'all doing in this fine Spring period (well, at least in England!)

I have blonde hair, not too blonde but blonde enough so I can't have highlights, can't have a fade etc., the type of styles and such that people with darker hair can have. Recently I was thinking of dying my hair brown, but I haven't picked a shade yet because I wanted to know:

Should men dye their hair?
Is it too extreme to go from blonde to (dark) brown hair, over the course of a 6-week summer break?

Information about me and my hair:

17 years of age
Blonde facial hair
Brown eyebrows
Brown/Black hair elsewhere

Also, I have heard some rumours but am unsure of the truth or not; if my eyebrows are brown, does that mean my hair will slowly turn to brown, or near brown, before turning grey/white in old age?

Thanks for the help, and if you need any pictures please don't hesitate to ask.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Replying to your questions on hair coloring for men and dispelling myths.
Hello and welcome to the forum! Smile

Let's see how we can help you.

(04-11-2015 08:57 AM)Danny2477 Wrote:  Should men dye their hair?

Absolutely. Men's hair is the same as women's hair. The structure is the same and it is produced in the same manner. The only difference lies in the follicle and how it reacts to high levels of dihydrotestosterone, which is a male hormone that all men have within a physiological range. This male hormone will provoke irreversible hair loss in males who are predisposed to such condition through their genes.

Other than the follicles reacting to a male hormone, hair is hair and it will react the same to coloring on a man and on a woman. Do bear in mind that hair (as in the strand itself) is biologically inert as it is made up of dead cells.

As for whether it is socially acceptable for men to dye their hair, well, it certainly is in this day and age and especially in European countries, not so much in the United States. Likewise, the mild dyeing that you will be doing will look natural on you, so it won't raise any eyebrows (no pun intended!).

Quote:Is it too extreme to go from blonde to (dark) brown hair, over the course of a 6-week summer break?

Not at all. Most people will assume that your hair was simply toasted by sunlight. This is even more so as you have brown eyebrows and facial hair.

Quote:Also, I have heard some rumours but am unsure of the truth or not; if my eyebrows are brown, does that mean my hair will slowly turn to brown, or near brown, before turning grey/white in old age?

No, it has nothing to do with that. It normal to have differing tones between scalp hair (i.e. hair on your head) and facial hair. Since you're still 17, however, there's a chance that your hair color darkens in the next couple of years if you're a late bloomer.

Usually, hair type and color will be settled at the start of puberty and will be very similar to the type and color of your hair as a pre-adolescent. Depending on when it was that you started puberty, you will still experience hair changes or not.

Feel free to post pictures of your hair to see the differences you mention and how a darker brown would settle down on your hair. Just embed the images from any popular image sharing site (e.g. imgur.com).

I'm one of the admins of this forum. Any questions/issue? Contact me directly or any of the moderators. We welcome any feedback to improve our community.

You can also check out our forum's BEST HAIR PRODUCTS FOR MEN thread to read opinions and useful information on men's hair products.
04-16-2015, 06:32 AM
RE: Hair color questions for men, to Dye or not to Dye?
Hi mate colouring your hair is totally fine as a guy. It's important tho to choose a good professional to dye your hair at least for your first time. Best place to go to is a hair salon for ladies. The clientele there typically asks for some kind of hair dyeing or highlighting so the staff will have a lot of experience.

Since you're just darkening your hair that will be easier than if you were doing the opposite. It will also be less noticeable and like TMHF said above, most people will think that your darker hair tone is from the sun and going to the beach. Nothing to worry about that.

About the rumour you heard that's just a myth. If anything eyebrow colour is a hint of the colour of your hair down there where the sun doesn't shine! Smile scalp hair colour can be influenced by certain things so at any one time you may have a slightly different tone to what your natural tone is. This is common with dark blonde types.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to get EMO hairstyle and what hair questions to ask? otter 2 1,896 08-29-2015 11:21 AM
Last Post: otter
  How to use hair color dye from brunette to dirty blonde hair? Donuts 0 535 08-09-2015 04:13 AM
Last Post: Donuts