Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hair clippers for men, any good ones? 5 8
Hair clippers for men, any good ones?
10-04-2014, 12:41 AM
RE: Hair clippers for men, any good ones?
Meanwhile, as i await a response, i will keep reading this thread, to see what i can gather. I am not sure, if my post is going to be seen by many, because this is not a separate thread. (I am going to return my Wahl 79300-400 to Walmart this weekend). It is an excellent clipper, when considering i paid only $18 or so for a set. But, now i am sure i will be cutting my hair for at least a year, so time to upgrade.

(10-04-2014 12:37 AM)buddhaseeking Wrote:  The reason i became aware of this forum is post #2 of this thread. It came up as one of the best search results, when i initially went on google, in search of a good hair clipper. That was about 2 months ago. Here is my story....

2 months ago, i had a dilemma ..... As a middle aged, balding man, i had a choice of shave it all or trim it myself. This was the the result of years of paying $20 (on average) to barbers who didn't meet my expectations (sorry, i am a perfectionist). As i was considering shaving my head, i pondered the radical look. Then, decided to enjoy what is left of my hair, for some more years that it will last, before i face the ultimate shaved head forever.

So, i decided to try my hand at clippers, and found only couple of places that had a list of recommended clippers (I am not allowed to post the link of the other site, yet). Settled on Wahl, primarily because I thought i wanted to keep 1.5 inches length in the front. I bought a starter level, Wahl 79300-400 Color Pro. After 3 uses, i have given myself a hair cut that rivals some of the best hair cuts i have had in a decade. But, here are the problems i face now...... and related questions i have
  1. This entry level clipper, has a blade length adjustment lever on the side. I can move it up or down in a smooth fashion, without clicks in between. The problem is, this lever adjustment does not stay in place, as i work around my head. It seems to automatically travel to "Close" position of blade, as there is no intermediate stop levels. The next one i purchase must have the ability to strongly stay in given lever position, even if i accidentally brush my hand/head against it.
  2. This is a great entry level clipper, if someone else was giving me haircut at home. But, i do this myself, with a hand mirror. Laugh it up, but, as a newbie, it takes me well over 2 hours to do a hair cut on myself, slow and steady. After 2 hr use, this baby is warm-to-hot, and i can not comfortably hold it (in all positions that i want). So, i am planning on investing a bit more to upgrade to a mid-level clipper. One of the criteria i have is that the clipper should not turn hot, even after 3 hrs of use; this means a better/bigger motor.
  3. I am not leaning towards any brand. From my 3 uses, i see Wahl as a well designed brand. From my research so far, this seems like the cheaper than Andis or the most recommended Oster. As i am not a professional, i do not need the top of the line clippers (that probably can go for 5+ hrs without heating up, on continuous use). So, my current thinking is that i maybe satisfied with a mid-level clipper.
  4. The clipper i chose must have 1.25 inch guide attachment available (from the same manufacturer). I know i can buy them at a 3rd party website, for any brand, but that costs too much for one guide. So, i prefer that the clipper i buy comes as a package, with guide combs ranging from #2 (2/8 inch) up to 1-inch length. As far as i have seen, Wahl is the only brand that comes with this assortment, built into a clipper package. Oster 76 seems to have a max of #6 (if i remember correctly from my research 2 months ago). But, please suggest any brand you like.
  5. I am planning to use this clipper in future, twice a month. So, i prefer one that is comfortable to hold in all different positions, as i use my hand-mirror from different angles and different hands.
  6. I prefer a corded model because i have researched and found issues with battery life in cordless models. In addition, the cordless are needlessly expensive, in my case.
  7. I have reviewed the user ratings for different brands and models at amazon, and i am aware of the reputation of the 3 brands i mentioned above. I am here to see, if i get feedback from professionals, who have used many different models/brands, and know which one fits the criteria i have mentioned.

Thanks for any replies.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Hmmm....this seemed like the appropriate thread to post my question. But not even one reply in a weekend. Perhaps, i should post this in another thread, which is more active ?
02-09-2015, 01:20 PM
I had a really awesome barber for a roommate at one point. He only used Andis clippers. He was African-American and most of his clients were as well, if that helps. I use an Andis a few times a week to trim by beard and taper it down from my sideburns. (I like it to be nicely blended-in.) I used to cut my own hair with an Andis and got great results (faded on sides and back, longer on top). I just prefer to go see a stylist these days. It takes some practice to learn how to cut your own hair and use the different guards and get the right angles in the mirror. Difficult, not impossible Smile

Hope this helps.
05-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Hi there

I was thinking as well in the future to invest in a "life time" clipper. I am new to haircuts in general I'm doing it about a year now that I decide to cut my hair my own. Not only to save money but most important cos barbers never cut it as I wanted and it is more easy do it at home any time i have spare time.
I was thinking about the Oster 76 cos everywhere on the web i read very good reviews comments etc.
The thing is that I live in UK and here I can find only this model that is the 97 instead of 76.
Unfortunately according to the forum rules can't post a link to show you but if you google Oster 97 heavy duty you see what clipper I am talking about.
Can you please tell me what is the difference between these 2 models because I am thinking to get it in the future.

Cheers guys

Dimitris
05-31-2015, 05:32 AM
I guess most entry level to mid range clippers would do the job. It's a question of the unit's power. It was mentioned that cordless ones lack power and that's so true.

The main issue though which is overlooked is the sharpness of the blades. Over time clippers become less effective simply due to the worn blades.

I have had three clippers over the past ten years and in each case the device has ended up literally falling apart.

I would say that the Oster is more suited to a production environment. I can't see spending $200+ on it given the 10-year time frame it would take to recoup the cost of going to the barbers instead.

Are there any other good value suggestions rather than best of the best?
05-31-2015, 09:59 AM
(05-20-2015 01:05 PM)CerealKiller Wrote:  Can you please tell me what is the difference between these 2 models because I am thinking to get it in the future.

Hi mate, the Oster 97 hair clipper is petty much the same as the Oster 76 hair clipper. The only difference between the Oster 97 and the Oster 76 is the voltage that they require to function. The Oster 97 is adapted to the UK's voltage so it will work in the UK perfectly whereas with the Oster 76 you need to use a transformer for it to work in the UK.

You can think of the Oster 97 hair clipper as being the direct marketing response from Oster for the UK market which was in need of a great hair clipper as the original Oster 76 was and is. So the Oster 97 clipper was developed by Oster for those of us in the UK to enjoy the Oster 76 hair clipper without having to mess around with transformers and the likes to get the clipper running! Smile

The Oster hair clipper are lifetime hair clippers. They are solid and sturdy and have plenty of power to buzz thru the thickest hair. They're also not as expensive as the high end cordless hair clippers.

Like it was said above the only issue with these lifetime hair clippers is that the blades wear off a bit eventually since we're talking years, but you just go on Amazon and buy a new blade. But that won't happen for the first year as a minimum so don't worry about it. The cool thing about the Oster 97 hair clipper is that you can use the same blades from the Oster 76 hair clipper. The Oster 97 clipper was made to pretty much suit the voltage requirements of the UK since the United States has a totally different voltage to the UK and to other countries.

You can also use other stuff on the Oster 97 like the Oster set of guiding combs for extra hair clipping lengths. It's a universal one and it's the one recommended by the guys here which I also agree that it's the best extra accessory you can add to your Oster 76 or Oster 97. The Oster 97 also comes with the usual blade, blade oil, lubricating oil and cleaning brush. Everything you need for the best haircuts.

I'm sue that the mods in the forum can hook you up with a good source to buy a brand new Oster 97 for the lowest cost. Normally it's Amazon where it's the best place to good hair clippers at the best prices. Also Amazon UK has been getting a lot better with its product selection than say two years ago when this forum was started.

So go for it mate, the Oster 97 hair clipper is a wise purchase that will last you many years. Wait to see if the mods have any good source for it but I do know a few lads who have bought them off Amazon and they're loving it.
12-09-2018, 08:25 AM
Awesome to see how all these hair clippers recommended a good time ago by the barbers in this forum have held up so well and are still top hair clippers under both corded and cordless categories. A lot of supa cheap hair clippers have flooded Amazon from China with horrible results so this list is a bread and butter list of solid reliable hair clippers.
So up this thread goes for anyone looking for good hair clippers!

(05-26-2013 09:13 PM)TheMensHairForum Wrote:  There are some pretty good hair clippers on Amazon and in the Men's Hair Shop (which works with Amazon too). Prices vary and so does battery life, but you can pretty much divide hair clippers into "with cord" and "cordless"

Hair clippers with electric cord

Oster Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper: among the best hair clippers money can buy, used by barbers and is heavy duty. Has everything you need in a hair clipper, even lubricating oil to keep the clipper running smooth no matter what!

Oster Professional 76023-510 Fast Feed Clipper: powerful (step down from the Classic 76), great for thick hair

Wahl 79524 24-Piece Deluxe Hair Clipper Kit: great value hair clipper

Cordless hair clippers

Wahl 79600-2101 Lithium Ion Cordless Clipper: powerful and light

Panasonic ER224S All-in-One Cordless Hair and Beard Trimmer: lots of lengths to choose from and great for defining the hairline.

Wahl Sterling Eclipse Clipper Lithium battery: battery lasts super long and clipper is very easy to use.

These six hair clippers all will take long to break down. With hair clippers, generally you get what you pay for so if you're looking for the best hairclippers then put price secondary.
Twitter

--------> ATTENTION! Join our EXCLUSIVE NEWSLETTER and stay on the latest & more! <--------

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good hair products for the slicked back undercut? James 3 60,865 02-12-2015 08:37 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum
Question Good hairstyle products to style thinning hair? Vladimir 7 35,681 08-16-2014 10:06 AM
Last Post: TheMensHairForum